• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Vita) Translation Updated With Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

People were wondering about the new SAO patch the Vita version got today, new PS4 translation apparently got patched in:

The update only says that it adds the ability to upload your save to the Playstation Network so that you can continue your game on the PS4. However, it is over 600 Mb, so I decided to start a new game and check out the translation. Compared to the videos on youtube of people starting a new game with the old translation, it appears to be totally different, and much better!
I can understand what the characters are saying!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/3eu28w/new_sword_art_online_hollow_fragment_update_102/

Bye bye penetrations.

People were wondering about the new SAO patch the Vita version got today, new PS4 translation apparently got patched in:

http://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/3eu28w/new_sword_art_online_hollow_fragment_update_102/

Bye bye penetrations.

While I miss penetrations, this is amazing news. Maybe now I can understand what the hell I am doing.

I guess there goes my gag about the dialogue between Kirito and the girls when you flirt with them. Ah well, maybe now I will understand what I am saying "uh huh" and "yes" to.

Roldan

bppkkcmceaaoh_x.jpg

gonna miss that.

edit: apparently not lol

Hikami

I'll check it myself in a bit

While I miss penetrations, this is amazing news. Maybe now I can understand what the hell I am doing.

I guess there goes my gag about the dialogue between Kirito and the girls when you flirt with them. Ah well, maybe now I will understand what I am saying "uh huh" and "yes" to.
Just tried this though and it's still nonsense.

From reddit
Are you sure you're comparing it against videos of the NA/EU version? The original English release in Asia was slightly touched up when it came out in the west.

I was thinking that as well so some other confirmation would be great

RK128

Wow, so they really did fix the translation or at the very least, touched it up when updating the Vita version for the save upload feature.

Will re-download the game now and see how much better it is now (will take a while for it to download though X().

Producer

Just checked it out and it doesnt seem to be true.

Maybe the person compared it to the asian version? The asian version was the worst one, it got 'slightly' retranslated for western release.

Kouriozan

Oh yeah, I was sure it got patched already last month or 2 when talking about the PS4 version but it was about a patch coming up.

Just checked it out and it doesnt seem to be true.

Maybe the person compared it to the asian version? The asian version was the worst one, it got 'slightly' retranslated for western release.

That would be truly disappointing. Adding the ability to transfer saves is taking 600mb? That seems excessive.

Shizuka

Checked it and nope, it's still the same

Person probably compared it to the Asian version

That's a shame, I was really hoping it was updated so I could go back to playing it.

If any mod is reading this, feel free to shut it down.

Hikami

Did you start a whole new game?

Yeah, went and compared it with a video from someone I know that actually got the US version.
Still has the same misspellings and grammatical errors.

I'm wondering what the huge patch actually contains then.. that can't be all just to transfer save data

Shizuka

Yeah, went and compared it with a video from someone I know that actually got the US version.

I'm wondering what the huge patch actually contains then.. that can't be all just to transfer save data

Secret agenda for the inevitable 128GB memory card.

RK128

I bet that is from the new content in the PS4 port (Female Avatar, Strea Episode, ect). Otherwise....I have no idea :(.

Xenus

It's annoyingly large either way. I had it installed on a spare 4GB card as my 32GB card is full. but since the patch is 605MB now it won't fit :eek:

Nachos

It's a bad translation. "Penetration" should actually be "clearing" as in clearing/beating floors/levels, since it plays in an MMO. Something like that.
Huh. Did anyone officially acknowledge how jacked up the translation was? It's surprising that a game can get a translation of that quality in 2015, especially for a series with an actual western fanbase.

Huh. Did anyone officially acknowledge how jacked up the translation was? It's surprising that a game can get a translation of that quality in 2015, especially for a series with an actual western fanbase.

It was very much an experimental budget localization and I'm sure even Bandai Namco was very surprised how successful the game became. The PS4 version (supposedly) has a better one now and the sequel has a good translation as well.

It's definitely a curiosity but in the end a bad translation is better than having to play the game in Japanese.

Prelude.

The translation was already slightly re-worked for the western release, the "penetration" stuff was only in the english asian version.
But yeah, I'm pretty sure Bamco acknowledged it.

RK128

NA/EU was even luck to just GET the game here, as if there was no English-Asian version to work with.....it would have been stuck in JP :(.

So, thanks to a English-Asian version existing and having fully translated text, they decided "You know what, this would be a great fall title next to Tales of Hearts R this fall for the Vita :D! Lets touch up this version of the game a bit and bring it over to get some extra money."

The thing is, the game was a HUGE hit for them, leading them to make a PS4 port that fixes a number of elements that the Vita version suffered from (bad translation being the main one) while ensuring future SAO games are not only localized, but also have translation on pair with other Bamco games (with SAO: Lost Song being a good translation proving that :)).

The original Hallow Fragment was a clear budget release from Bamco in the states and while its a shame that the translation was so weak, at least we got to play the game at all :).

To be honest, I enjoyed the game more thanks to its botched translation XD; many scenes made me laugh out loud at how bad the Engrish was :').

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, the translation pretty accurately reflects SAO's own understanding of MMOs.

_woLf

I still feel super burned by how bad the translation was so I am really curious if this is legit or not.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Bandai Namco did acknowledge it but was waaaaay after the fact.

Thats the kind of shitshow that happens when someone approves using an ESL type of localization team due to being cheapasses.

Then the even larger case of idiocy was using that same script which was on the Asian version for the US one. Sure it might have gotten a few passes over it, but apparently it looked like said person either gave up or ran out of time. As for the most part it still was a mess and honestly its more work to try and fix a totally fucked up master text rather that just doing a new one.

Dammit. I got all excited when I saw the title, but it sounds like it's not much of a translation update :/

Maybe I should try to brush up on my Chinese Mandarin reading comprehension and play it in that language...

213372bu

Banned
But the PS4 version will be re-translated still right?

Just checking because the main reasons I dropped the game was the unclear directions, weird quest/item explanations and horrible dialogue, (which I'm assuming are all issues dealing with the translation.)

UCBooties

Awesome! I hoped it would be the case but assumed they would not bother taking the effort to patch it in. Very excited for this news. Does anyone know if there is any cross-save between the Vita and PS4 versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom