• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Mobile Projecttor

JP

I've searched for "projector" and couldn't find anything to do with this.

They're certainly not aiming for the top end of projectors but I suppose it may be an OK budget entry for some people. Apparently it;s out in October this year.

Geek Culture Article

Geek Culture said:
  • Laser Technology.
  • Auto Focus & Free Focus modes.
  • Can project up to 120 inch screen size.
  • 1920 x 720 resolution.
  • HDMI/MHL connection.
  • There is a tiny internal speaker to output audio, but most of us will plugging in a headset or external speakers to the stereo earphone jack.
  • The form factor of the device is really small. About the size of two Sony Xperia phones stacked together!

sonyprojector3.jpg

EDIT:

Sony Develops Pico Projector Module with High-Definition Resolution and Focus-free Image Projection (February 2014)

JP

Can't find any info online about this apart other sites quoting the article I've linked so I don't know how genuine or accurate the info is.

I don't trust these one off Sony peripherals anymore. I bought one of the PS branded 3D displays they made a while back only to learn that they were dying faster than they could sell them. I had to take my first one back within a month because it was dead and the replacement started having flickering issues (which were the first sign of death on first one) within days. I was able to prolong the life by turning off a lot of the automated features but i don't use it anymore as cutting out for 3-5 seconds at a time is not really conducive to a quality gaming session.

I hope they put more effort into this. It seems like a great idea if it isn't so cheap that it becomes junk really fast.

We need more specs (lumens, throw) especially latency and obviously price. However, this being laser-based, I don't think this will be cheap. the resolution is odd as well.

JP

Cute little babby. Resolution is puzzling. Been thinking about a projector but 1080p will be essential
I think this would put me off too if I had any interest in getting a projector but I'm assuming that it's going to be a relatively cheap item rather than a project that will compete with some of their currently available models. Having said that, if they want to keep it cheap then having it this small probably isn't the way to go although it may make it mire acceptable to people who aren't serious about this stuff.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Can't imagine that luminance and picture quality will be brilliant with that form factor. Looks more like a device made for presentations and such things. The resolution is not a typo, by the way. That alone disqualifies that thing for gaming.

MattyG

Banned
Cute little babby. Resolution is puzzling. Been thinking about a projector but 1080p will be essential
I don't think this is meant to be a part of your home theater setup. Seeing as it's small and called a "mobile" projector, I'm guessing this is for people who might travel to a lot of places without TVs or something. Can't think of exactly what type of person that would be, but still.

Edit: Yeesh, I expected a better price though.

newsguy

I stopped reading at 720p. Good luck watching something at 120" on a 720p projector. Unless you're sitting 50ft from your screen.

Justified

Will be $350 :(

1920×720 is correct :( but better than the competition in its market

Uses a PicoP laser-beam scanning system, so even if you project an image on an uneven or curved surface, all parts of the picture will be in focus.

Will project a sharp 40-inch diagonal image from four feet away and will give you a 120-inch picture from 12 feet away (but will be dim of course).

brightness rating of just 32 lumens :(

You can charge you Phone/Tablet when connected to it. Also allows wireless streaming from your phone/tablet/laptop over wifi

Will go on sale on Amazon in October

*edit*
A source; http://www.wired.com/2015/07/stuff-big-screen-pocket-tiny-projector/

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Is it really meant primarily for the PS4, or did the authors of that article infer that from a demo stand that, for some reason, had this thing hooked up to a PS4? The design certainly seems to match, but I can't really see the use case for that thing, especially given the wacky resolution. Looks more like something Sony would make as a gadget for mobile business users.

bathsalts

1920×720 is correct :( but better than the completion is its market

Uses a PicoP laser-beam scanning system, so even if you project an image on an uneven or curved surface, all parts of the picture will be in focus.

Will project a sharp 40-inch diagonal image from four feet away and will give you a 120-inch picture from 12 feet away (but will be dim of course).

32 lumens? so only usable in a pitch black vacuum setting with high quality screen material?

NateDrake

Is it really meant primarily for the PS4, or did the authors of that article infer that from a demo stand that, for some reason, had this thing hooked up to a PS4? The design certainly seems to match, but I can't really see the use case for that thing, especially given the wacky resolution. Looks more like something Sony would make as a gadget for mobile business users.

It only says Sony on the casing. I doubt it is made specifically for the PS4. Likely were using the PS4 as a demonstration to show how games look while using this type of projector.

Edit:

1920×720 is correct :( but better than the completion is its market

*edit*
So another overpriced useless Sony product.

Peltz

1920×720 is correct :( but better than the competition in its market

*edit*

It's like they're shooting from the hip and don't know where to aim.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am actually looking for a pico projector for other uses, I can wait until October to see how it works out. $350 is about right.

Justified

That is good to know. I trust it more without the PS logo. Maybe it won't be a junk build after all!

Interesting to see Sony getting into the market though. Could be a gateway product leading to putting a small projector on the Phones.

Would be even more interesting to see the PS4 slim have one built in, as it shouldn't inflate the MSRP.

The USB port. Does that mean this thing will have smart TV type tech or maybe could take a Fire stick?

You can charge you Phone/Tablet when connected to it. Also allows wireless streaming from your phone/tablet/laptop over wifi

Top Bottom