• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Knockout King' and other crimes are scaring the hell out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
A friend of mine showed me an article about a white family getting beat by a group of 20-30 african-american teenagers unprovoked. I was shocked by this.
I did some more research on other stories and i'm just terrified of what's been happening. A man and two workers were attacked by a mob of teens outside a Kroger's parking lot.
Multiple instances of people going around and blindly punching and in some case killing unsuspecting innocents.

The scariest thing is that while the media cover the Ferguson and Baltimore events. Most of these never got the same level of attention.

One of your sources is uh, banned? And I'm sure this is one of those urban legends. And the ethnicity of anyone involved is irrelevant if it was an epidemic.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Knockout game was really overblown. People would have you think it was happening every day all over the country when it was really just a couple of scattered weirdos.

Orayn

A friend of yours linked you to a right wing conspiracy news site raving about "THE BLACKS" and you responded credulously.

Good, cool, reasonable, and wise on your part.

Shadownet

Banned
This shit was covered over and over in the media. Wtf are you smoking?

They were covered, but not to the same level. It's like when Michael Jackson died. Most people didn't even remember anyone other celebrities that died during that year because all everyone could talk about was MJ.
A friend of yours linked you to a right wing conspiracy news site raving about "THE BLACKS" and you responded credulously.

Good, cool, reasonable, and wise on your part.
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here with your post. I don't want to say something that i'll regret.

collige

Banned
The scariest thing is that while the media cover the Ferguson and Baltimore events. Most of these never got the same level of attention.

That's because people hold the police to a higher standard of conduct than random assholes. Not to mention that police killings are an actual epidemic rather than the media fearmongering circus that the Knockout Game was a few years ago.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
It's all the rage in the local media right now because a group of African American kids beat the shit out of some white kid downtown and filmed it. Talks of charging them with a hate crime and you can tell by the reports that dog whistle language is in play.

One of your sources is uh, banned? And I'm sure this is one of those urban legends. And the ethnicity of anyone involved is irrelevant if it was an epidemic.

Urban legend? The knockout game is pretty well known and has been featured on the news several times in Chicago. Go YouTube it. Pretty sickening stuff.

jwk94

They were covered, but not to the same level. It's like when Michael Jackson died. Most people didn't even remember anyone other celebrities that died during that year because all everyone could talk about was MJ.
A lot of celebs died during that time... And you're right because I can't remember who they were. Damn.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That's because people hold the police to a higher standard of conduct than random assholes. Not to mention that police killings are an actual epidemic rather than the media fearmongering circus that the Knockout Game was a few years ago.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
False comparison.

The crimes you list are perpetrated by individuals, and across the board those actions are looked down upon and they're rightfully punished, if those crimes actually occur and aren't just scare-tactics. Beyond that, the victims are always universally agreed upon to be victims, and are never blamed.

With Baltimore and Ferguson, you have law enforcement commiting crimes, and basically getting off scott-free while the victims are bashed and blamed for deserving it.

No one goes "oh, I love seeing people randomly punched on the street!". But a scary amount of people laugh and almost seem to enjoy when a black kid is gunned down by the police.

A lot of celebs died during that time... And you're right because I can't remember who they were. Damn.

I can. There was that whole South Park episode about it. Billy Mays died too.

Here's a hint on why.

What usually happens to those kids when they do those crimes? They get arrested and go to jail.

What happens to the cops that kill unarmed black people? More often than not, they don't get arrested, never mind jail. The victim's death is widely publicized, their images demonized.

Also, the "knockout game" is not an epidemic, it's overblown for a very specific reason.

Orayn

Urban legend? The knockout game is pretty well known and has been featured on the news several times in Chicago. Go YouTube it. Pretty sickening stuff.

The myth part is the supposed nature of the attacks, the idea they're all part of some sick, organized "game." It's far more likely that the media have been liberally applying that label to random unrelated assaults to incite worry and increase interest in their stories.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here with your post. I don't want to say something that i'll regret.

I'm saying that you're falling for fringe conservative clickbait narratives.

Thorakai

please stay away from the internet lest you be exposed to the rest of the horrors that occurs around the world every second.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I have to wonder if treating the causes that led to events like 'Ferguson' etc would also prevent things like this.

The myth part is the supposed nature of the attacks, the idea they're all part of some sick, organized "game." It's far more likely that the media have been liberally applying that label to random unrelated assaults to incite worry and increase interest in their stories.

It's like that other myth of kids shitting in liter bottles and covering it and letting it cook in the sun and then getting high with it. Jank, they called it. I think. Sure maybe it happened once or twice, but srsly.

Shadownet

Banned
A few years ago eh?

No one goes "oh, I love seeing people randomly punched on the street!". But a scary amount of people laugh and almost seem to enjoy when a black kid is gunned down by the police.
Well you're wrong if you don't think people love seeing other people randomly punched on the street. Cause someone did, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. Groups of people apparently enjoyed it to do it to random strangers.
I have a feeling that the OP only cares about this for one reason.

I care about this because I don't understand why people go around and causing all of this for no reason. I'm sure they have a reason in mind. But it just doesn't make sense.

Just think at any point in time you can die! :D

Personally, I'm kind of terrified of Vince Li being allowed to take day trips unsupervised and move into a group home. I mean I understand rehabilitation is a good thing, but it kind of feels like the community has to place a huge amount of trust in a man that did a horrible thing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It's like that other myth of kids shitting in liter bottles and covering it and letting it cook in the sun and then getting high with it. Jank, they called it. I think. Sure maybe it happened once or twice, but srsly.

jenkem is real as fuck bro.

Seesaw15

I can't wait for your friend to send you a link about that Milk Throwing Challenge. Those Black ruffians wasting all that pure white milk. Damn shame.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I had a response, but deleted it because it came off way too flippant. This isn't some widespread epidemic. The media focused on those other events because they highlighted the frustration and fear that certain neighborhoods have with modern police tactics.

Yeah, kids do wild shit and put it on YouTube and Vine for attention. Giving them attention is the point. You honestly walk down the street and worry about getting randomly punched. Not to be rude, but that just sounds like a terrible way to live life. And to flip the script, imagine how it feels to be Black and get pulled over by the cops. Odds of getting killed in the latter scenario are probably way higher than getting caught in that knockout game.

Arcia

Banned

I know man, the A Timeline sure sucks. In the E Timeline this shit would have been all over the news!

Shadownet

Banned
Watch out for those blacks OP; they're really scary!
The friend who sent this to me is african-american himself. Even he was speechless to this kind of stuff.
Personally, I'm kind of terrified of Vince Li being allowed to take day trips unsupervised and move into a group home. I mean I understand rehabilitation is a good thing, but it kind of feels like the community has to place a huge amount of trust in a man that did a horrible thing.
Oh wow... this is terrible :/
OP it's not an epidemic. Would you like people to create a thread for every race based crime a white person commits and say it's an epidemic? Do you see the issue here?
Did I ever said it was an epidemic? or it was widespread? No? well alright then.
You should probably change the source on your first link.
Thanks man.

ISOM

A few years ago eh?

Well you're wrong if you don't think people love seeing other people randomly punched on the street. Cause someone did, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. Groups of people apparently enjoyed it to do it to random strangers.

I care about this because I don't understand why people go around and causing all of this for no reason. I'm sure they have a reason in mind. But it just doesn't make sense.

OP it's not an epidemic. Would you like people to create a thread for every race based crime a white person commits and say it's an epidemic? Do you see the issue here?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Whoa hold on a second guys, maybe we should hear him out. African Americans are pretty scary and damn am I mad about Michael Jackson for stealing the coveted 2009 dead celebrity spotlight. These wildly random acts definitely need more coverage than the hundreds of articles that were already written a few years ago when "urban crime game" stories were a hot topic.

I mean OP is just asking questions, right? Don't forget the friend who sent this article was African-American himself. That means he has a black friend!

At first I thought this was about the Electronic Arts boxing game and thought "well it had some bugs and using the dual analog sticks to throw punches took some getting used to, but a crime?"

And then realized the thread was much worse

Shadownet

Banned
After reading your OP, you already have.
What am I regretting?
I can't tell if I should be more worried about this, shark attacks or ebola. OP help pls
Probably ebola or this. I mean.. I don't think shark attacks are that common. Unless it's Sharknado, then god helps us all.
then why would you question why these events are not getting "the same level of attention" as things in Baltimore and Ferguson, as per your OP?
Because they're not? I mean how many weeks did you hear about Ferguson or Baltimore on the news? You can't turn on the tv or go on the internet without seeing this. and those things happen within their respective city.

While things like this happen more than once.

collige

Banned

Pein

Banned
I dunno lately going to the movies or even to church with my family scares the hell out of me, getting my entire family murdered because I wanted to see antman is kinda worrisome. Hell I worry about sending my niece to school in case some physco with a gun decides he wants to do some killing.

But I get you op, getting punched is super scary too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom