• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ciel nosurge Offline Localization Petition

mankoto

Ciel nosurge is a Playstation Vita exclusive prequel to Ar nosurge. Unfortunately, only the latter has seen a western English release for the Playstation Vita and the Playstation 3. This is a problem because Ciel nosurge's story and character development are almost pivotal to be able to really understand and appreciate Ar nosurge. Ciel nosurge is an enormous game with a large amount of text, so it's safe to assume that Koei Tecmo is reluctant to start work on such an ambitious project when there is no certainty that there is even a demand for the game in the first place.

Recently, however, the community manager of Koei Tecmo America was asked as to what would be the best way to show demand for Ciel nosurge. His reply was:

"Numbers would help if the community could provide a petition or update with thousands of respondents it would make a case for it in the west. Japan = Numbers as long as we can show the numbers it'll have more impact then just saying "the west has interest in this"
I'm only the community manager of KTA but i do what i can do.."

So, if you would like help the cause please, sign here
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/197/820/749/ciel-nosurge-localization-petition/

androvsky

If they're reluctant about Yoru No Nai Kuni, this has pretty much no chance. Makes me wonder how poorly Ar No Surge sold in the first place. Signed it anyway though. :/

androvsky

signed. 6k signatures can't be that hard, right?

Very difficult. It's going to have to be pimped hard, and not just to core gamers with Vitas. People are going to have to hit up anime fans who are interested in visual novels and dating sims that never were able to get into it due to the lack of localizations.

Signed as well. Would love to be able to play through this myself rather than having to rely on watching it through Youtube or dig through summaries.

RK128

Signed :).

Read the summary online and it really does present a game with a deep plot, interesting characters and a world that you just want to explore. The games OST is amazing as well :').

I hope this has the Digimon CS effect, where thanks to the support of the petition, the game got some 'push' into being localized next year on PS Vita and PS4 :D.

hesho

i am tempted to sign.. but...

i bloody hate kt for not releasing a physical copy of their vita games...

androvsky

i am tempted to sign.. but...

i bloody hate kt for not releasing a physical copy of their vita games...
It bothers me too, but at this point we're lucky they localize Vita games at all. And we did get a physical copy of Ar no Surge (the sequel to the game in question), even if it did have to come through NISA.

Ciel nosurge is a Playstation Vita exclusive
Oh yeah, I guess people could bug Shahid and Gio Corsi while they're at it. Won't help much, but they have a lot of followers that might notice, at least. Asking for a retweet might be more productive than asking for actual Sony help.

Oh yeah, I guess people could bug Shahid and Gio Corsi while they're at it. Won't help much, but they have a lot of followers that might notice, at least. Asking for a retweet might be more productive than asking for actual Sony help.

Selfishly I always feel like Gio's team should be handling the bigger projects. They've managed to get both 2K and Capcom on board with Vita porting. They've managed to get SEGA to allow them to translate Yakuza when NISA couldn't manage it. They've clearly got some pull being from Sony, so I kinda want them to go after bigger guns like Phantasy Star or something.

hesho

It bothers me too, but at this point we're lucky they localize Vita games at all. And we did get a physical copy of Ar no Surge (the sequel to the game in question), even if it did have to come through NISA.

if u didn't preorder it, good luck getting it though. I refuse to pay 100 bucks for a vita game.

RK128

The tricky thing about localizing Ceil No Surge (if it even happens) is the simple fact that the game's core mechanics and gameplay systems really don't appeal to the west; the game will sell very badly :(.

The gameplay for anyone wondering is a very interesting mixture of Life Simulator X Dating Sim X Visual Novel. Very bizarre mix and a fascinating experiment but they work together due to the story in place (you are helping Ion, the main character, recover her memories after losing them, so that means interacting with her in helping her memories come back and going through her memories via the Visual Novel portions of the game).

.....But that is an issue in trying to sell the game in the west X(. Most games from JP with Visual Novel elements that are localized have interesting elements that help attract the game to people looking for more gameplay; Dangrompa having its Phoenix Wright trial elements and its mini games to complement its VN elements, Zero Escape series having puzzle elements to complement the VN portions, Persona 3/4 having JRPG systems and the SMT/Pokemon demon collecting.

What made Ar No Surge come over was doing exactly what those games I listed do; have JRPG systems, fun combat mechanics and interesting ways to unlock the Song abilities to help make the VN portions have some gameplay significance. With Ceil No Surge, its gameplay is segregated from the VN portions (with those portions being literal VN's and getting through them is rewarded with a Song scene).

But keep in mind this; why did Persona explode in the west? Why did the Dangrompa series get such a strong following? Why did Zero Escape hit so strong with people? It was their interesting gameplay elements complementing the VN Story sections :). Ceil No Surge didn't do that so despite it having a very strong story and fantastic presentation, its gameplay elements distract from the core appeal (the story portions).

If and this is a big if, the game does get localized, Koei would have to do something to make it appeal to the west and in my head, they could do one of the following:
-Make it a literal Visual Novel and release it on as many systems as they can
-Convert the game into a movie ala the KH's Collections conversion of the DS games (358 Days/2 and Re:Coded)
-Take the VN portions of the game, plant them in the Ar No Surge engine, and convert that into a complete JRPG that plays similar to Ar No Surge

All of these would cost a good amount of money and while I would love for the third option to happen.....Gust is to busy with other projects right now to re-visit a three year old game for localization to the west :(.

I am very interested in seeing where this goes but I'm not holding my breath for any localization news :l. But I am grateful that someone put the time into making this grand summary of the game so that people that want to play Ar No Surge can be caught up with everything :D.

Aru

Signed. I really hope it happens. Otherwise I'll read the summary and buy Ar nosurge when it's on sale.

Ventara

Signed. I feel pessimistic about this, but I'll hope for the best. I really hope all of VitaGaf has signed this.

Kindred Dread

Neo Member
Signed this a while back. It's still ridiculous that this person didn't use change.org and tried shooting for as many signatures as they did but hey. I'd at least like to see a digital release of this, I played through Ar NoSurge+ but simply didn't want to read a secondhand summary for Ciel.

Kindred Dread

Neo Member
Yeah. I don't know what'll happen after. Will this get shown to KT's twitter? Will we try again on change.org? I hate that this is "the" petition for Ciel because it's such a poorly made one.

Top Bottom