• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scooby-Doo Movie Announced - Everyone get in here. Ha HA! Cinematic Universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

This is a theatrical release since Scooby-Doo has several animated movies. Most recently with KISS and WWE.

After more than a dozen years, Warner Bros. is bringing Scooby and his quirky crew of crime-busting kids to theatres, this time as an animated feature.

Tony Cervone, an Emmy-nominated animation vet who already has Scooby experience having directed several straight-to-own movies in the lucrative franchise, is helming the movie, which Warners has already slated for September 21, 2018.

More importantly, Warner apparently wants to turn this into a connected universe with other HB properties.

First, I'm hearing WB is toying to make a push for delivering a type of Hanna-Barbera universe like they are with DC and Lego

Besides SCOOBY DOO, expect news on TOM AND JERRY and FLINTSTONES movie and possibly a JETSONS movie coming out soon now that SCOOBY is dated

But sources stress the studio wants wheels movie on all fronts so that multiple films can be slated as soon as possible

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/633354238010114048
https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/633354595721306112
https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/633355233767198720

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
im glad they are bringing back the properties, connected or not.

i will be a bit miffed if they do ever integrate Looney Tunes into this as well, but at least they could bring it back.

Does there really need to be a cinematic universe for everything?

HannaBarbera cartoons are famous for their crossovers. Flintstones Meet the Jetsons actually did well in the box office.

and all of the Yogi Bear/Quick Draw McGraw/Huckleberry Hound/etc crossovers...

Slayven

Fred_and_Barney_Meet_the_Thing.jpg

Trey

Does there really need to be a cinematic universe for everything?

you think execs are looking at the stupid money Marvel is making with their cinematic universe and are just going to look the other way? hit people competently right in their childhood, soak up that nostalgia, make new fans in the process...you're touching every demographic and lining yourself up for money down the road too.

It's really a no brainer as long as you can do it correctly.

Raxus

Ōkami;175761380 said:
Huh? We did got a conclusion to that one.

*edit* reading the wiki. I guess I remembered it ending differently than it did. Weird.
At tje very least i want fred to be like the fred in MI
Fred and Daphne got great character traits in MI aside from the bare bones stuff from the original series. It was sorely needed.

man i was just thinking of how good a movie would be after finishing mystery inc. if it's not by those guys i'll be super disappointed

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
"Do you think you're the only mystery solving crew in the world? Mystery Inc. you've become part of a bigger universe, and you just don't know it..."

Ib2hgIN.jpg

"Alexander Cabot, manager of Josie and the Pussy Cats. I'm here to talk to you about the Laff-A-lympics Initiative..."

mclem

Wasn't the Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe already established via The Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera - the ride, at least, but I'm sure the series was similar.

And, for that matter, didn't Yogi's Treasure Hunt have a mass crossover of characters? That'll do. And Penelope Pitstop and the Anthill Mob were in both Perils Of and Wacky Races. And while I'm too young to remember it, I'm dimly aware of the Laff-a-Lympics. And while I only ever saw one episode, I still know of Fender Bender 500.

It's already a cohesive - in so far as that's meaningful - universe, being my point. Admittedly not cinematic, but at this point that's splitting hairs.

Acorn

Wasn't the Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe already established via The Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera - the ride, at least, but I'm sure the series was similar.

And, for that matter, didn't Yogi's Treasure Hunt have a mass crossover of characters? That'll do. And Penelope Pitstop and the Anthill Mob were in both Perils Of and Wacky Races. And while I'm too young to remember it, I'm dimly aware of the Laff-a-Lympics. And while I only ever saw one episode, I still know of Fender Bender 500.

It's already a cohesive - in so far as that's meaningful - universe, being my point. Admittedly not cinematic, but at this point that's splitting hairs.
The cavemen from Wacky Races appeared in like everything too.

Edit Really wanna watch classic H&B stuff now. Does boomerang still show the oldies?

*enters thread expecting to be pissed about another live action debauchery of Scooby Doo*

*sees the film will be animated*

Okay now I'm interested

They've been taking swipes at Mystery Inc. in the past couple of DTV movies, so I wouldn't be surprised if they regard it as a failure and are going to use it as a model of what not to do for this movie.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They've been taking swipes at Mystery Inc. in the past couple of DTV movies, so I wouldn't be surprised if they regard it as a failure and are going to use it as a model of what not to do for this movie.

Really? That sucks. I know it didn't perform how they wanted, but I've seen nothing but praise about it. You think they'd move away from that style for financial reasons, but be kind to it for the fans. How odd.

I enjoyed Mystery Inc. I'm a bit shocked it didn't catch on. Seems like it should have been real popular with the Adventure Time and Regular Show demographics. Although I can see why Mystery Inc wouldn't be popular with younger viewers. Scooby Doo gets less screen time than he did in other shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom