• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Sword City Xbox One version announced for Japan early 2016.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Tonights Exp Inc channel live stream, they announced that for the Japanese Xbox One a re-release / remake of Stranger of Sword City will be released. Largest point about the remake will be the artwork will be fully redone by a regular artist Oxijiyen. Release schedule is 2016 Jan-March window in Japan is what they said for now I do believe. Also this version of the game they would like to release in the West digitally. Reason for that is a lot less "investments" are necessary when doing digital. Though still they did not officially announce if they will be working with anyone else or not in regards to the Western version.

In regards to them making titles for the Xbox One while they realize that it will be difficult domestically with the general situation of the market they still would like to produce games for the system with MS support. Also they would like to support the Japanese market with titles designed for users here as Exp Inc has many fans who are also MS console owners, which was shown in the past with the 360 versions of games they had released.

Samples of the redone character artwork for Riu, Marilith, Alm
Djby0ig.png

No word if the original art will be usable, though at the moment it is sounding like it is not.

From a tweet, its sounding like the original art will also be in the game and selectable. So that should help ease some fears from the initial announcement.

In regards to the Vita version of the game an official no comment was said in regards to that. So no confirmed yes or no.

Parakeetman

I wonder if it'll have actual animation this time instead of squeezing still images to make it look like they're moving, like here:

Probably not though.

Dont suggest viewing that video as its considered boss type of spoilers for late in the game.

From one of the first boss fights in the original game for a video that is very early on. Depending on which of the 3 starting dungeons you decide to advance in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdyYJdR7vqk

Parakeetman

It's like a Flash animation.
Is the actual game any good?

If you like DRPGs yes. Id say its one of their best titles that Exp Inc has done. Esp with the amount of free-form to a certain limited extent you can do with their character class changing / skill system in the game.

dkoy

Cool? I guess. Prefer the previous art but not like I have an XBO or read moon anyway. I wonder why they're porting though. Anybody who wanted to and could play SoSC by now probably has. Unless this is more of a remake than a re-release, which judging by the fact that they're redoing character art, seems to be it. I'm also guessing they'll keep the previous artwork in as an option like OA?

All that aside I'm just rambling on about my thoughts because I want SoSC on my vita in English.

Parakeetman

Cool? I guess. Prefer the previous art but not like I have an XBO or read moon anyway. I wonder why they're porting though. Anybody who wanted to and could play SoSC by now probably has. Unless this is more of a remake than a re-release, which judging by the fact that they're redoing character art, seems to be it. I'm also guessing they'll keep the previous artwork in as an option like OA?

All that aside I'm just rambling on about my thoughts because I want SoSC on my vita in English.

No real word on the content yet about how much of it will be changed, but the initial announcements that were made was the art design change and them wanting to release this version in the West as possibly a download title. As it takes out the issue of having to make packaged versions of the game I think is what they talked about. I was busy typing up some other different work related stuff at the time so missed out on that fully. Would have to wait till the stream goes back up and watch it again.

Theyre really dropping the great art for this port, huh?

They said they wanted to try something different with it is the reason for the change. To make it beyond just a port of the X360, PC, Vita version. Esp since they are looking into releasing this in the West.

Fuck, I wanted to play it on my Vita.

Still no confirmation or denial in regards to if the Vita one is coming or not. So its better than a no at this point in time.

Parakeetman

Are they planning this ? That would be great. On Xbox One ? I'd gladly have some niche RPG/shmup on Xbox One.

Thats what they said. Though did not specify yet if they will be working with another publisher or not in regards to the West yet.

Xenus

No real word on the content yet about how much of it will be changed, but the initial announcements that were made was the art design change and them wanting to release this version in the West as possibly a download title. As it takes out the issue of having to make packaged versions of the game I think is what they talked about. I was busy typing up some other different work related stuff at the time so missed out on that fully. Would have to wait till the stream goes back up and watch it again.

They said they wanted to try something different with it is the reason for the change. To make it beyond just a port of the X360, PC, Vita version. Esp since they are looking into releasing this in the West.

Still no confirmation or denial in regards to if the Vita one is coming or not. So its better than a no at this point in time.

Really makes very little sense. Their market in Japan on Xbox One is laughably small at this point while the market in the west for this game is far more likely to be on Vita/PS4.

Parakeetman

Really makes very little sense. Their market in Japan on Xbox One is laughably small at this point while the market in the west for this game is far more likely to be on Vita/PS4.

Its more a matter of supporting MS who would be supporting the project. As stated they already know of the situation with the XBO domestically and world wide. That and they would like to help support new hardware within Japan as a developer.

They still are producing titles for Sony, such as Demon Gaze 2 which is next year also.

In general when they do development for Japan they are quite calculating in regards to production costs vs potential sales, so they usually seem to be in the black with things in that regard. Which would be no different with the situation with the XBO, even more so if MS is supporting them with the development costs and such.

You would think that after Star Ocean 4, companies would have learned that they do not need to change the artwork for a western release.

Well whatever, as long as it comes stateside. *crosses fingers for vita release*

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just for comparison:
new xb1
Djby0ig.png

old vita pc
artwork.stranger-of-sword-city.2258x1604.2014-02-28.13.jpg

Do they really think that western gamers prefer the more anime version?
Stranger's greatest point was the original art and they make it more anime? Not a great move imo.

cbq

Just for comparison:

Stranger's greatest point was the original art and they make it more anime? Not a great move imo.

Yeah. I'm not the biggest fan of DRPGs, but the amazing artstyle caught my attention. Damn, I wanted to play it on vita, too.

Just for comparison:

that new art is... "awful" is the wrong word so i'll go with incredibly inferior to the original release

It's like getting a port of a Falcom game and hiring a competant but not spectacular VGM composer to record another soundtrack to replace it in the localized editions.

Just for comparison:

That's what's worrying me.

Its more a matter of supporting MS who would be supporting the project. As stated they already know of the situation with the XBO domestically and world wide. That and they would like to help support new hardware within Japan as a developer.
It is an incredibly stupid decision unless they are being paid by Microsoft for it. The PlayStation TV alone sells 3-5X more than the Xbone in Japan. There is absolutely NO market there.

Heh. Props to them for supporting XB1 at least.

Still hoping for the Vita version in the west. Maybe NISA'll handle that early next year and then Exp will use their translation to put out a digital-only version in the west later in the year.

Mozendo

How sad, the art is what made it stand out now the art makes it look like another generic anime dungeon crawler imo

Is this the same artist that did Demon Gaze and the Generation Xth remakes/ports?

Parakeetman

How sad, the art is what made it stand out now the art makes it look like another generic anime dungeon crawler imo

Is this the same artist that did Demon Gaze and the Generation Xth remakes/ports?

Part of the same art team. The other character artist was Kurosawa Tetsu.

I can't believe they're altering the art style for something more cutesy and typical. The art in the original was exemplary, and it stood out from the crowd.

Man, you really piss me off sometimes Japan.

They sure as fuck better leave the artwork alone if they bring the original version to the west. What are they thinking with the new art?

mocoworm

Experience Inc. Confirms Two New Japan-Developed Xbox One Exclusive RPGs - Both Headed for Worldwide Launch

Both titles will be exclusive to Xbox One.

During a recent Ustream event, the CEO of Experience In., Hajime Chikami, talked about two new titles that are in development by the company for Xbox One.

Chikami mentioned that while it's difficult to release Xbox One exclusives in Japan (presumably due to the low install base), releasing digitally worldwide via the Xbox Games Store is easy. Chikami confirmed that this means the two games they're developing are 100% definitely coming to the West with full English translations.

The first title is Stranger of Sword City, which was originally released for Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation Vita. The Xbox One release is a new version complete with a whole new art style. Chikami said that after taking advice from some publishers the company has worked with before, they came up with some new designs for characters. You can see some of the changes below, with the original on the left and the new design on the right.

You will be able to use the original art style in-game, if you prefer. The game itself is a dungeon crawling RPG and the original picked up high praise from Japanese publication Famitsu, with its four reviewers giving it 8/9/8/7 for a total of 32/40.

Stranger of Sword City is set to launch between January and March 2016.

The second game Chikami announced is a little further off. Going by the working title of Students of Round 2, it will also be an RPG, although the company is still nailing down some of the final design decisions. They've mentioned that they're looking at making it a tactical RPG along the lines of Shining Force or Fire Emblem. The game is planned to launch between April 2016 and March 2017.

Parakeetman

But I read your OP :(

The PR mentioned by Mocoworm seemed like a new update on the matter. I hoped they would clarify this after the livestream.

At the moment they have not mentioned anything in regards to the Vita. Had asked that directly. Though seeing how they are unable to talk about it there are 2 possibilities.

1. Is that MS has asked for a timed exclusive in the West which is holding up the Vita project.

2. NISA (most likely) or another publisher has it, therefore they are unable to talk about that project without the OK from said publisher in the West.

The next broadcast will be about more details with the Xbox One version. Which they have apparently let folks know ahead of time that both the new and original art will be in the game which the player can choose between. Apparently the voice cast will remain the same is the other bit of information that has been talked about recently.

Parakeetman

I mean if Xbox version is coming over, there is no reason for them to skip Vita.
Right?

Id have to imagine that most def a publisher has it, but the question here is what is the situation with MS and deal with the West + the deal that they had with said publisher who has the Vita version.

But since we dont know what that is, Vita users will just have wait and see.

Top Bottom