• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Force for PSV

Shun

CO7YDD5UcAACjGa.jpg

New Suits
Gundam G-Self
Gundam Barbatos?

A brand new game exclusively for Vita.

Game is not just a port of the EXVS games Extreme Boost and Maxi Boost but a brand new game with new suits and new gameplay and stages.

List of suits so far?

RX-78-2
Nu
Sazabi
Zeta
Qubeley
The O
Unicorn
Full Armor Unicorn?
Kshatriya
Banshee
GM Cardinal?
Turn A
Char Zaku
Hamrabi
Wing Zero TV
Strike
Freedom
Destiny

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They showed only ad hoc, but they did the same thing for Breaker 2 for the Vita, so fingers crossed that it has online mp too.

Katbot

Would rather get a PS4 port, but a Vita version is nice. The PSP version of GvG Next was actually pretty great absent the framerate issues.

NEO0MJ

They showed only ad hoc, but they did the same thing for Breaker 2 for the Vita, so fingers crossed that it has online mp too.

Hope online doesn't require a pass. I'd hate to have to perform the whole profile switching thing.

Worst announcement ever. So not what everyone has been waiting for. :(

There's always next year for Maxi Boost announcement!

Shun

Forget you all I wanted this.

I loved playing Gundam Vs. Gundam NEXT on my PSP for local and portable play.

This is amazing and we get fucking GUNDAM G-SELF.

Shun

I've been wanting this too! Still don't have a PS4

*highfives*

i'd imagine this will be a nightmare to control on the vita. release window?

Gundam Vs. Gundam Next controlled fine and this will control better with that Vita D-Pad.

You have all the necessary buttons and an amazing D-Pad for mobility.

Great to see Vita and PS3 support throughout TGS. No desire to get a PS4 at the moment.

That's a surprise. Didn't the PSP versions of these do pretty well?

Aside from Gundam Breaker 2, the IP hasn't seemed too hot on Vita.

Although I wanted a PS4 version also, I'm happy for a PS Vita version. I'm definitely looking forward to playing VS portable again~ The missions thing looked very interesting. I hope the single player is a lot of content. A more randomized arcade mode would be great too :C Too bad it feels like we'll never get Gundam Virtue again like in Next.

i'd imagine this will be a nightmare to control on the vita. release window?

Next ran great on psp. I never had a problem with it. For control setup, it's probably
x- boost
o- change target
/\- melee
[_]- shoot
Start button - menu
1 button command/teammate msg/ping hp
That leaves us with 2 physical buttons, right analog stick and touch screen controls.

crinale

Guys Maxi Boost will come to the console.. only when they make the next entry on arcade.

Back then when Capcom was on helm they released AUEG vs Titans for PS2 with network support, and even it required monthly subscription it almost killed arcades (and Capcom had do apologize for the release schedule).

Then again a few years later Bamco released OG EXVS to PS3 without Full Boost being released to arcade, and exact same thing happened..
Arcade cabinets cost tens of millions of yen plus subscription fee per match must be paid from arcades to Bamco, so it's the serious business.

kubricks

WOW!!!
JESUS CHRIST GUNDAM VS ON VITAAAAAAA!!!!!!

I cannot believe my eye! The hype is over the fucking roof!!!
I played GvG Next Plus on PSP for over 500hrs back in the days and now a new version is coming on Vita!

I think I have to quit my job for all these games!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I know i'm a fool but i hope that this(and Breaker 2) will be localized, i mean they were able to localize j-star victory+, how harder can be a gundam only game?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
"Game is not just a port of the EXVS games Extreme Boost and Maxi Boost but a brand new game with new suits and new gameplay and stages."

Those screens seem to say otherwise :v

I know i'm a fool but i hope that this(and Breaker 2) will be localized, i mean they were able to localize j-star victory+, how harder can be a gundam only game?

When Siliconera interviewed Ryuichiro Baba back in 2014:
“The Gundam games have an entertaining battle system, which may explain why people are importing them, but the license is a problem,” Baba replied. “In addition to that, in Japan and Asia, anime airs more often on TV where not as much is aired in the US. Also, the Gundam plastic model kits are readily found throughout Asia. The IP in general is much more well received in Asia and Japan.”

So mainly licensing + they don't believe the 2-on-2 fighting genre is popular enough. They were hoping it'd kick up a bit with Rise of Incarnates.

Shun

New suit, Force System, new stage = new suits, new gameplay, new stages. I mean I guess EXVS is just a port of Gundam vs Gundam right?

After watching the trailer again, I really hope they don't use the same lock-on switch of just pressing 1 button for next target. It was already kind of a hassle when 3-4 enemies on map. Seeing that allies listed is 4+ and assuming it will be the same for enemies, I hope right analog stick or touch screen is used for easier lock on >_>

Please no. Right analog stick instead of red lock is terrible and would make this game unplayable.

Touch screen aiming would be cool but the game is designed around the search button and green/yellow/red lock.

Focus on killing a single enemy and avoid the others with the on screen warnings and map. In the case of more than 2 enemies, you lock on to the next closest one anyway.

Also seems like G-Self switches out backpacks similar to Strike and Impulse in EXVS. It has access to Space Pack, Assault Pack, and Reflector Pack so far. Will be cool to see an eventual FB/MB appearance.

Ah I'm not saying replace it, I'm just saying right stick in addition to it. I don't see why that would remove the green/red/yellow lock. I just mean L and R on right stick would switch target relative to your current lock on (while still being able to use o for quick switch). Being forced to always target next closest enemy doesn't seem the best to me, especially since in the trailer it shows protect missions and we've had warship destroy missions before.

Shun

That make more sense. Thought you meant free camera control with a reticle rather than lock.

OP Update with shown suit so far? Would like help finding other suits I miss.

Allies -
Exia (on cover image and in trailer)
Hyaku Shiki
Rick Dias

In trailer as enemy -
Char's Z'Gok Commander Type
Byalant? (Baiaran)
Hizack
Jagd Doga
Qubeley Mk-II
Gaza-C

That's the only other suits I can tell when reading the names ._.

Astery

Bandai keep making critical design errors after they take back game design to their own hands. As stated above, the lock on system only works well when there are 2 enemies to switch locking targets. 3 enemies is already bad, but barely manageable when you put up with it.

The next thing they added massive number of targets, free form running (remember a mission in seed destiny), frequent epic size enemies (most notable the extreme gundam final bosses) further screw up the camera limits of this old system. NONE of these works well with what the designed mechanics is designed to handle, and they are shit.

I won't even talk about the countless DLC units, it's very profitable to do them at the least.

Anyway, this new exclusive mode just continue to walk this path of design failure that the system is not built for. At least the original team worked the issue off in Gunslinger stratos Reloaded. Bandai just keep on throwing ideas that sounds good on paper, but is really bad when it's put into practice.

Just to add to the echo chamber, the Gundam VS series has been ass with more than 2 enemies/targets on screen with its targeting system. Really hope they have a decent targeting solution considering the new mode is focusing on larger battles.

Dio

Banned
The reason I'm disappointed in this is that it means those of us who play the Gundam Versus titles competitively in our small communities around the world are going to have to wait even longer for our home console versions.

The Vita version looked like the framerate was chugging, and no one plays competitive fighting games/action games on Vitas. Not only that, the big draw is 2 player vs 2 player teams and the fact that this doesn't even have that is another killer.

LMN

YESSS, finally! I have always wanted gundam vs. on Vita, ever since Vita was announced, definitely day 1, cant wait to play it. Also, glad that G self, one of my favorite gundam, is in the roster, now hopefully the G self perfect pack make it there as well, "not as DLC".

Shinriji

Day 1. The Extreme PSP games were better than the PS3 games IMO.

The only missing game is an Initial D Arcade port to get all the PSP games that I cared about.

kubricks

Hype deflated after watching the trailer. What I expected was a slight graphic down grade vetsion of Exvs, what I saw was a Vs battle system on a hybrid Gundam battle series and breaker series.

Not that I don't like the idea, but they must create a way to handle the target system properly. The fast pace Vs system works best when it is limited to 2 Vs 2. Any more than that the target shifting becomes confusing. You only have to look at the story mission of Vs next plus, a few of them have you fight 4 - 5 grunts at once and things quickly turned into clusterfuck... You can never target the correct enemy quick enough.

Free running and right analog stick targeting on Gundam breaker might work, but it worked well on GB because the combat is much slower and less vary than in Vs.

I really don't know what to expect now. I was tempting to post notlikethis.gif but I guess I will judge when more footage is available. :/

Day 1. The Extreme PSP games were better than the PS3 games IMO.

The only missing game is an Initial D Arcade port to get all the PSP games that I cared about.
Are you talking about the Gundam Battle games by Artdink? Because while a fun romp, the mechanics were jank.

matmanx1

I would play the heck out of some Extreme Vs on the Vita if it turns out to be good. Let's hope it turns out to be good.

Shinriji

Are you talking about the Gundam Battle games by Artdink? Because while a fun romp, the mechanics were jank.

No, the Federation vs Zeon PS2 port and Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus were amazing games. PS3 vanilla Extreme Vs single player was boring, and online was definetly better, but sadly a lag-fest, even with gaffers.

Top Bottom