• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"the last perfect day" how the earth will be when the sun is a red giant (large pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry about the size of the images, guys. don't really know what to do about that.

so, there are two types of stars. those that are main sequence and get large, then just burn out and get small, and those that
also start out as main sequence?
become really large, really really large, then explode, then become
either neutron stars or
black holes. our sun is the former.

here's some artist's imagery of "the last perfect day" in about 5 billion years, on the brink of the sun's aging into its red star form.

"The last perfect day", several billion years in the future.
endearth1.jpg

The waters recede and most life is extinguished as the sun starts to swell and its luminosity rises.
endearth2.jpg

The oceans have evaporated and the atmosphere has escaped into space
endearth3.jpg

The sun, now a red giant, fills the sky over a dead planet. As we see in the next section, the red giant will eventually throw off its outer layers and become a white dwarf.
endearth4.jpg

the drawings are by A. Schaller from a Carl Sagan book, Cosmos. pretty neat stuff. If mankind is still around by then, I wonder where we will be...but of course there's tons of other things to worry about our fate before that.

http://ircamera.as.arizona.edu/NatSci102/NatSci/lectures/starevolution.htm

My understanding is that the earth will be uninhabitable within the next few hundred million years due to the brightness of the sun, forget about a "last perfect day" 5 billion years from now.

Maybe there will be a last perfect day for Mars.

Nice.

Here's HG Wells' Time Traveller looking over one of Earth's last animals swimming in the hot ocean. It's from one of those 70s sci-fi art books.

10533706_10152577050220799_8310027215895751239_n.jpg

bjork

Will our saves still be in the cloud?

Anyway, it would be amazing if mankind can survive that long, but I'd feel bad for anyone that had to live through that chain of events. Makes me glad I'll be way gone by then, heh.

DarkKyo

To think that one day everything we've ever worked for will all be gone.

That already happens at death though. As a species we will likely be gone far before the events in the OP happens, and if we were around I doubt the Earth will still look so peaceful and pristine as seen in those renderings.

entremet

5 billion years. Crazy just thinking about that.

I am ready to bet that within 300 years this planet will be fucked.

Nah. That's nothing in terms of environmental destruction. There will be huge famines before that.

The planet is resilient.

ibyea

Banned
We don't need that many years. Around 500 million to a billion years in the future the Earth will be too hot to sustain multicellular life because of the sun's very gradual temperature increase.

Carton

It makes me sad just thinking about, even if it is so (very very) far into the future. I get sentimental over small things, let alone the loss of all the life on earth, never to emerge again.

Humans as in homosapiens will undoubtedly have evolved by then. Our ancestors, which may or may not call themselves humans may still be around though.

besada

Banned
My understanding is that the earth will be uninhabitable within the next few hundred million years due to the brightness of the sun, forget about a "last perfect day" 5 billion years from now.

Maybe there will be a last perfect day for Mars.
Yeah, the oceans will have evaporated long before the sun turns into a red giant. Due to the steadily increasing luminosity of the sun, the last of the oceans are likely to evaporate completely in a billion years. Potable water will be gone long before that.

Marche90

Images like these makes me melancholic for some reason. Thinking about the future, and a future we won't be able to see...

Cool images, btw.

pottuvoi

Banned
Considering that those images try to describe a time when sun has size roughly our current orbit, it seems quite small.
Would expect it to fill most of the sky.

Kettch

Considering how far our society has advanced in just a couple hundred years, I'm pretty confident that we'll come up with a solution with another billion to work with, if anyone is still around and still cares about the Earth by that time. The "easiest" way that I can think of would be slowly moving the Earth's orbit out a bit to compensate.

Nice.

Here's HG Wells' Time Traveller looking over one of Earth's last animals swimming in the hot ocean. It's from one of those 70s sci-fi art books.

10533706_10152577050220799_8310027215895751239_n.jpg

If the sun looked like that/was that big from earth that time traveler would have been dead the instant he appeared. And there would totes be no water there.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
If the sun looked like that/was that big from earth that time traveler would have been dead the instant he appeared. And there would totes be no water there.

I imagine the artist probably knew that and just took artistic liberty like you see in images of the moon being depicted about 20x bigger on the horizon than it really is.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Water? In 5 billion years, the oceans will have been dried up for 4 billion years.

Amory

Assuming we're able to terraform Mars by then, we'd still be dead when this happens, yeah?

There'd have to be some kind of mass effect scenario for us to survive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom