• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sometimes I feel like trading in my Wii U for a handheld.

I don't play it very much. Smash 4 and Splatoon have Online connection problems and I don't feel interested in Super Mario Maker. I feel like I'm couch gaming less and less and feel like my hobby would be better served with a portable.

Does anyone else feel similar? 3DS is region locked and seems to be slowing down. Vita has memory card bullshit but the prices of physical releases are plummeting into the 20 dollar range. Maybe I should trade it in, wait with the credit and see what NX is? (Apparently both a handheld and a console?)

finalflame

Probably the smart move to just wait for the next Nintendo handheld at this point.

Also, if you don't like your WiiU, just get rid of it. It doesn't have to be for everyone and seems not to be for you.

rtcn63

Eh, is money that much of an issue for you? The 3DS and Vita get discounted to reasonable prices pretty often, especially with the holidays incoming. But if finances must, then yeah, get a portable. I like 2D Zelda.

Awntawn

where did things go wrong for you

Plenty of people don't like 2D platformers

Keeping my Wii U around for Xenoblade, Star Fox, and Zelda. Zelda may be coming to NX, but I don't plan on jumping in that soon considering how willing they were to abandon Wii U support

goldenpp72

I mean, I never sell my systems so i'd always consider this unwise, but if you know it's the right thing to do go for it.

Well, which handhelds have you had? If you haven't had a DS, the 3DS + DS (backwards compatible) library has a ton of awesome games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Do whatever you want, OP. Don't ask others unless you can't do the research on your own.

I will give a word of warning, though: The Vita may be one of the worst gaming purchases I've ever made.

Novocaine

If you aren't getting much enjoyment from your Wii U then you totally should, handhelds are great. If you decide on a Vita get Danganronpa.

Dio

Banned
Do whatever you want, OP. Don't ask others unless you can't do the research on your own.

I will give a word of warning, though: The Vita may be one of the worst gaming purchases I've ever made.

And that really depends on your taste, of course.

Not belittling your experience, but my Vita gets through some great titles, including some PSP and PS1 titles I missed out on back in the day and its own, new games.

Of course, if you're not into Japanese games it won't do much for you at all.

Mory Dunz

Guess it depends on if you want to wait for Zelda or not.

It's not definite (though maybe it's likely) that Zelda U will be ported to NX. Or that the "console" NX will even be 2016. Or that if it's ported, it will be an immediate port.

So if you want to play Zerrda and Pokken, keep it. If not, sell it.

I never sell consoles personally.
I did trade in Kirby 64 though. Game was garbage. :)

EDIT:
Or keep it if you want to play the games you already own. But it seems like you don't.

Yasumi

Banned
The memory cards are really only a one-time cost with the Vita. Unless you need most of your digital library with you at all times, a 16GB is sufficient.

There are a bunch of games still coming out, and PSN sales happen almost every week, so your library can fill out extremely quickly. As long as you're into Japanese stuff, there's plenty of stuff to play.

Astral Dog

Wii U is still here for FF, X, Zelda, SMT X FE and maybe Star Fox, if its fun, its just that the thing has a slooow release schedule, but i guess thats to be expected from a dead Nintendo system. at least those are still coming.

hamchan

The Vita and 3DS have way larger libraries than the Wii U that's for sure and if you haven't played any of the games yet it's very worth it to jump in now.

I'd say it's a solid plan. The NX has a decent chance to be backwards compatible with Wii U games too.

Balb

Well if you're not playing it, you're not interested in many of the upcoming games and you don't really want to play games on the couch anymore, the choice is obvious right?

I ditched my WiiU and 20 games and don't really miss anything about it. I loved my Vita, it was such an awesome handheld & wish Sony did more for it. I ditched that as well because I don't care for indies all that much.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And that really depends on your taste, of course.

Not belittling your experience, but my Vita gets through some great titles, including some PSP and PS1 titles I missed out on back in the day and its own, new games.

Of course, if you're not into Japanese games it won't do much for you at all.

I refer to it as my portable PS1.

I got rid of my Wii U and I don't regret it at all.

In fact, the money I got from selling it was better put to purchasing 3DS titles I've wanted for a while.

NX is very likely coming next year. Just wait a bit.

Or bite the bullet and get a 3DS. I personally would never trade in my Wii U but the 3DS is a great system .

oxidax

As soon as Zelda U comes out (if it does come out to the Wii U) and I beat it, that'll be it for me. Ill sell it and get a 3DS instead.

Sakura

You could buy a 3DS or Vita, then you would have a handheld and not feel like trading your Wii U in any more!
Alternatively just wait to see what the NX is.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
If you don't care about future titles, why not?

I need mine for Fatal Frame and #FE

Both Vita and 3DS are terrific tho. Great catalogues

Qwyjibo

I wish I played my Wii U more. I really do. I always think "Alright, I'm gonna play some MK8 online or finally finish off SM3DW or start Wind Waker HD" and then something like Bloodborne or Witcher 3 or Arkham Knight comes out and my Wii U continues to gather dust. I think Xenoblade X will be the game to change that but it's probably also the ONLY Wii U game left that I think of in that way.

Being an RPG fan, I get WAY more playing time out of my 3DS when it comes to Nintendo. It's maybe just slightly behind PS4 and PC in terms of playing time in the past several months.

cHinzo

Welp, nobody is holding u back to NOT trade it in, right? I would play more often on my Wii U if there were some more co-op games. :\

Neifirst

I wish I played my Wii U more. I really do. I always think "Alright, I'm gonna play some MK8 online or finally finish off SM3DW or start Wind Waker HD" and then something like Bloodborne or Witcher 3 or Arkham Knight comes out and my Wii U continues to gather dust. I think Xenoblade X will be the game to change that but it's probably also the ONLY Wii U game left that I think of in that way.

Being an RPG fan, I get WAY more playing time out of my 3DS when it comes to Nintendo. It's maybe just slightly behind PS4 and PC in terms of playing time in the past several months.

I get Bloodborne and Witcher 3, but playing Arkham Knight over 3D World and Wind Waker HD? 😢

Acerac

Banned
Are you strapped for cash? The rates you get for trading in systems is usually pretty iffy. Personally I don't like trading in systems, seems like a horrible waste of money.

I usually just wait til I'm confident I'll enjoy a console before buying it.

Are there games you want for handhelds?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried putting the Wii U on your router's DMZ? Or at least getting the ethernet adapter. Splatoon is so much fun, you're missing out!

Top Bottom