• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer | Review Thread

kulapik

maxresdefault.jpg

IGN - 8.0

Happy Home Designer gets pretty much everything right when it comes to decorating, encouraging creativity, and exploring different styles. It’s sometimes unsatisfying to work without a sense of progression, but taking away progression unlocks means there's no limits on the creativity you can express with Animal Crossing's huge range of options. There’s no shortage of actual designing to do, and the series’ charm prevents it from becoming just a series of soulless tasks. Plus, you won’t have to worry about being in debt with a raccoon this time around.

Videogamer.com - 7

A relaxing, repetitive toe-dip into the working world.

Destructoid - 7

I would recommend Happy Home Designer for anyone who really enjoys designing and decorating virtual spaces. If finding the perfect furniture for your house in Animal Crossing was your favorite part of the series, then you'll surely get some enjoyment out of this game.

Gamesradar - 4/5

I've loved my time with Happy Home Designer, but I still crave the freedom of New Leaf. You just can't beat strolling around a town of your own design, collecting bugs and fish to further improvements. Ultimately what I really want is to take everything I've learned from designing rooms for frogs and take it back to my New Leaf town for my own personal use. If the two concepts are ever combined my loved ones will probably never see me again as I turn myself into a shut in, but for now this is a fantastic way to tide yourself over until that glorious day comes.

Nintendolife - 7

Just like its prequel, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer is bursting with content to uncover. The sheer volume of items to unlock is staggering, allowing you to cook up all manner of homely homesteads and fabulous facilities. The same world that captivated millions of players in New Leaf returns, with familiar faces that do a lot to augment the appeal of the core interior design mechanics. However, the lack of any real challenge is a fatal flaw, and while it's possible to create a stunning variety of different rooms and buildings, the gameplay does become repetitive quite quickly. Fans of New Leaf - and the series in general - may well be prepared to forgive such sins, but for everyone else this is a likeable but largely forgettable title that will entice young, undemanding players but will be too dull and samey for everyone else - despite the unmistakable charm which permeates the entire package.

GameXplain

Destroy my house if old

Josh5890

Not bad! May just hold onto my copy from the N3DS bundle.

Still selling my code. I'm glad the game is good since that will give me a better chance to make some money on my copy. I just have too many handheld games in my backlog and this part of Animal Crossing just doesn't appeal to me.
I still plan on collecting the cards though.

oti

Banned
I gave it a 7. Won't link the review since it's in German.

I found the designing part to be competent but other than that it felt a bit pointless to me. Designing is the main focus of this game but you don't actually have to design anything and the game will progress just the same. Some kind of parameters of how well I did would've been better in my opinion. I know that's a weird thing to say about an AC game but HHD is just focused on designing. But if you like sharing stuff on Pinterest or Instagram you will most likely love this.

Darrenf

Still haven't decided if I want play this or not. I love Animal Crossing, but I couldn't care less about about what my house looks like in it so I'm not sure if I'll like the game.

OmegaFax

I was wondering when the embargo for this game was going to be lifted. It didn't enjoy the month long press previews that Super Mario Maker (or even New Leaf) received leading up to its release.

None of the reviews (so far) talk in depth about Amiibo support or the online functionality ...

Linius

Managed to pre-order it for 32 euros. So for that price I'm willing to go for it. Good to see the reviews turn out quite well. And if I really don't like it I can always sell it again, Ninty games keep their value :p

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Been watching Lin and Ko and I think it's a very smart rendition that does not step all over the next main entry and provide any sort of fatigue if players wish to indulge themselves in this and the future.

Chief complaint seems to be that unlocking stuff and being rated on your performance are basically not parts of the game. The whole thing is centered around having fun desigining rooms how you want to design them, including the new locations like the school, doctor's office, etc.

I'm okay with that. It sounds like the kind of relaxing game I can focus on, where it's just about having fun designing rooms and houses the way you want to do it- while trying to meet some requirements set by their owners. No "you're doing it wrong, lose 500 points", no real-world timer, no debt looming over my head. Just chilling out and making houses.

Definitely going to play a lot of this.

I wish they would make something like this but for the fishing and bug collecting. Good scores though!

God I wish we had this for our museum. I remember typing out these things all the time on other forums about what an ideal sequel game could do different from ACNL and I always talked about that dang museum. Making your own displays that could be traveling exhibits would be amazing, and having the freedom to arrange and put things out would be incredible.

Nachos

Probably would've waited for it to hit the bargain bin normally, but it'll be a nice enough distraction as a freebie with the N3DS.

Does a New Leaf save file do anything for this?
None whatsoever. It also doesn't have Streetpass, which seems like a huge missed opportunity, considering the whole point of the game.

HawthorneKitty

Chief complaint seems to be that unlocking stuff and being rated on your performance are basically not parts of the game. The whole thing is centered around having fun desigining rooms how you want to design them, including the new locations like the school, doctor's office, etc.

I'm okay with that. It sounds like the kind of relaxing game I can focus on, where it's just about having fun designing rooms and houses the way you want to do it- while trying to meet some requirements set by their owners. No "you're doing it wrong, lose 500 points", no real-world timer, no debt looming over my head. Just chilling out and making houses.

Definitely going to play a lot of this.
I hope it grooms people to making more fantastical houses for themselves in the future.

oti

Banned
None of the reviews (so far) talk in depth about Amiibo support or the online functionality ...

Nintendo didn't sent any amiibo cards. The Happy Home network is online but there are no competitions on there yet. The first starts next month and is all about the "sweetest home". You can visit other players' designed houses and shops, talk to the villagers and rate their designs (cute, unique, cool etc.).

JonnyKong

I can't decide for the life of me if I want it.

I did enjoy the home decorating part of New Leaf, but I'm rather annoyed by the fact it doesn't seem to make any difference to the game or characters what you do, especially as that's essentially the bulk of the game. I'm concerned about the reviews saying it gets repetitive.

But there is something drawing me towards it, must be the charm. And plus my 3DS is really starved right now.

Ugh. This isn't really helping my decision to hang onto my New 3DS pre-order. As someone who already thought New Leaf was a bit too open-ended (I might just not be an AC person, it's not at all a knock on the series), I'm worried that Happy Home Designer will be completely wasted on me, but I don't like selling codes either because it's a pain. Bleh. BLEH.

EDIT: and yeah, +1 for not liking how hard it seems to be to do poorly on a decorating job. I'm especially worried that if the game doesn't impose any sort of challenge, I won't push myself to come up with interesting designs because why bother. But maybe not, who knows.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The lack of progression and the fact that animals won't care what house you build them no matter what they ask for is absolutely mind-boggling. I'll probably stay away from this one, sadly.

Vena

The lack of progression and the fact that animals won't care what house you build them no matter what they ask for is absolutely mind-boggling. I'll probably stay away from this one, sadly.

It has progression based on completion of houses as the "town" grows. This opens up the ability to design public facilities and such but only so many of them exist.

Other than that, the progression is filling out the catalog.

oti

Banned
I can't decide for the life of me if I want it.

I did enjoy the home decorating part of New Leaf, but I'm rather annoyed by the fact it doesn't seem to make any difference to the game or characters what you do, especially as that's essentially the bulk of the game. I'm concerned about the reviews saying it gets repetitive.

But there is something drawing me towards it, must be the charm. And plus my 3DS is really starved right now.

Designing homes is all you do. There are some public building like schools to design but the process is the same. You really shouldn't play this games for hours on end. Design two homes. Make a break.

With every new customer you get new pieces of furniture. You can also learn new stuff every day out of a handbook. Those lessons are stuff like windows, custom designs etc. you actually have to pay for with 3DS play coins.

JazzmanZ

Probably would've waited for it to hit the bargain bin normally, but it'll be a nice enough distraction as a freebie with the N3DS.

None whatsoever. It also doesn't have Streetpass, which seems like a huge missed opportunity, considering the whole point of the game.
Nintendo games generally go into bargain bins bro

JonnyKong

Right, I've cancelled the order. I feel a little sad about it cos I was initially looking forward to it, but the reviews have put me off. I just wanted more of a bulky game, and I think after designing just 3 or 4 houses I think the novelty will wear off. Saying that, if I'm out and about and I see it in the shops I may just pick it up cos I'm weak like that when it comes to Nintendo games.

Right now instead I'm going to use my money towards the new Skylanders game which seems to be getting surprisingly good reviews.

Listonosh

GameZone - No Score

If you ever felt intrigued by the Animal Crossing games, but found their open-ended nature to be more daunting than relaxing, then Happy Home Designer might just be the answer. It seems like this game was also made to satisfy Sims players, who did nothing more but customize and furnished various homes to no end.

It's still extremely accessible, and not difficult by any means, but instead of relying on the player to make up their own day-to-day routine, they're presented with various residents that simply want their home to look a certain way. It's up to you whether you want them to be satisfied or not. In that way, Happy Home Designer still retains that freedom of expression, you're just not doing it to your personal home anymore, which is certainly a bummer.

JonnyKong

Oh but now I'm regretting cancelling my pre order.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Right, sack it, I'm ordering it again and I'll just sell it if its rubbish.

Camisado

Hmmm.... Think I'm going to cancel my pre order.

I was a bit concerned that this game might be a bit light on content compared to main series games and those reviews seem to point towards that sadly.

Hopefully this is the kind of thing that just gets rolled into the next mainline game though!

oti

Banned
What if...
they made the same thing for fishing and insects and hair stylist and running a store and put ALL OF IT IN THE MAIN GAME?

Fantasy Life X AC

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, is there a bit deeper "plot" element to this game than the usual Animal Crossing? I mean, more dialogue than the canned dialogue AC usually uses?

oti

Banned
So, is there a bit deeper "plot" element to this game than the usual Animal Crossing? I mean, more dialogue than the canned dialogue AC usually uses?

I'd say it's even less. In order to see the villagers you have to either meet them in town (which is just one strip of buildings, really), meet them in the public facilities or use amiibo cards.

Reading reviews this sounds really bad.

Nintendo Life said:
Although each one gives you a challenge to face - such as creating a home of a certain colour, feel or tone - the game doesn't judge your performance in any way.

While each character may have an item they want placed in the room - this appears as a box as soon as you start the project and doesn't need to be selected by the player - there's no need to do any further work; they will gladly accept the entirely unfurnished room you have presented to them.

Considering how the main game has a home grading system how could this not have one?

I was expecting to be graded on how well I could build a home to a resident's needs. But if I don't have to do anything, just leaving boxes, and they act exactly as happy that's just dumb.

Sucks because I was really looking forward to this. The idea of trying to create the best home for a specific resident sounded neat in an almost puzzle-like way.

I also wanted to get the NFC reader bundle.

It sucks because both this and Amiibo Party (Animal Crossing party game with its charm, awesome! ) are stuff I want in theory but the execution in both looks horrendous.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'd say it's even less. In order to see the villagers you have to either meet them in town (which is just one strip of buildings, really), meet them in the public facilities or use amiibo cards.

Huh, the previews of it gave me the impression that you'd sort of interact with the other HHA employees and there'd be sort of a plot to the game as you progressed.

Alfredo

This sounds like an Animal Crossing game just made for me. I've spent so much time putting together the weirdest houses in AC games, and being able to do whatever I want without having to fill out my catalog and wait for furniture to be delivered sounds awesome.

I'm going to create so many sex dungeons, crack dens, and murder rooms, and it's not going to take weeks of work like it did in my previous Animal Crossing towns.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Do you get to revisit or "save" any of the houses that you work on, or do they "erase" once you begin on the next home

HawthorneKitty

Not entirely sold on this. Do I need to buy amiibos and cards to fully enjoy the game?
No you don't, there are a few exclusive perks to amiibo, but you're not missing out on much.

Do you get to revisit or "save" any of the houses that you work on, or do they "erase" once you begin on the next home
Yes, you can revisit and redo all homes.

JonnyKong

I saw a little trailer earlier and in there I noticed a gothic/horror themed building. That's what I want to make. I'm glad I kept my pre order now. Plus I want to make another Nintendo house thanks to that day one dlc in Europe.

Even though the residents don't care what you make for them, I will try my hardest to please them damn it!

HawthorneKitty

I saw a little trailer earlier and in there I noticed a gothic/horror themed building. That's what I want to make. I'm glad I kept my pre order now. Plus I want to make another Nintendo house thanks to that day one dlc in Europe.

Even though the residents don't care what you make for them, I will try my hardest to please them damn it!
With over 300 houses alone, I hope you have a lot of fun ideas.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Damn, even the Giantbomb quicklook made this game look terrible. And the lack of natural object interaction just seems like the complete antithesis to Animal Crossing. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Well besides "we need to make a bunch of quickie spin-offs to keep the 3DS and Wii U afloat while we focus on NX". Hopefully this game isn't indicative of the quality of the rest of the lineup.

JonnyKong

Will there be an easy and sufficient way for us gaffers to share our houses to one another? I'm not 100% sure how the online stuff works.

bobawesome

Damn, even the Giantbomb quicklook made this game look terrible. And the lack of natural object interaction just seems like the complete antithesis to Animal Crossing. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Well besides "we need to make a bunch of quickie spin-offs to keep the 3DS and Wii U afloat while we focus on NX". Hopefully this game isn't indicative of the quality of the rest of the lineup.

I'm watching the Giant Bomb QL right now and I keep thinking to myself that there has to be more to the game. There just has to be. $40 for this? I understand that it may be a relaxing game for some people but other Animal Crossing games had so much content. This looks like it would get stale after a day or two.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'm watching the Giant Bomb QL right now and I keep thinking to myself that there has to be more to the game. There just has to be. $40 for this? I understand that it may be a relaxing game for some people but other Animal Crossing games had so much content. This looks like it would get stale after a day or two.
The premise seemed strong enough at the outset that I imagine one of two things happened:

A) this used to be an eshop title that got promoted to help fill the sparse lineup; or:

B) the scope of the game was purposely minimized and the development time was rushed to help fill the sparse lineup.

I can't imagine the developers were fully satisfied with the end result of this title. Or at least I hope there was tons of design ideas they had to cut. Because as it stands, this game seems like they just took one of the hundreds of side activities you can do in a normal Animal Crossing, and then added nothing extra.

Based on the videos I've seen so far, it looks terribly boring. I'd rather buy Amiibo Festival, to be honest. At least that has a potentially entertaining multiplayer component.

Top Bottom