• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GREETINGS EARTH: Corpse Party & Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - 50% Off on PSN ($10)

UberTag

314px-Corpse.Party.(U).jpg
617350_205392_front.jpg

Just an FYI that both of these classic Team GrisGris / 5pb. titles (published by XSEED / Marvelous) are on sale on North American PSN at 50% off (essentially $10 each) in the two weeks prior to the launch of Corpse Party: Blood Drive on Vita on October 13th.

Corpse Party - $10
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - $10

Highly recommended for fans of visual novel and character-driven horror titles like Danganronpa and Zero Escape (999 / Virtue's Last Reward). If you loved those games and have yet to experience a Corpse Party title, this is your perfect opportunity.

These games are playable on PSP, PlayStation TV and PlayStation Vita and will allow you to completely catch up on the narrative before the trilogy capper ships in two weeks.

Reviews of Both Games courtesy of Crystal Baltimore - Operation Rainfall

And, once you're done, you have this to look forward to...

TuesdayThe13th-610x343.jpg

6139999_corpse-party-blood-drive-releasing-in-north_bf4a0dda_m.jpg

Corpse-Party-Blood-Drive-Team-Gris-Gris.jpg
tumblr_n7d9d66DCX1rdu9woo1_1280.png

EDIT: Hmmm... that title didn't come out exactly the way I wanted. Meant to say, "PSA: Corpse Party & Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - 50% Off on PSN until October 13th". Ah well.

Tizoc

How the heck do GAFfers still not know that you can't use PSA in thread titles anymore...
Non the less thanks for the heads up~

UberTag

How the heck do GAFfers still not know that you can't use PSA in thread titles anymore...
Non the less thanks for the heads up~
I think you have to screw up and use it first before you realize it's a problem.
If you don't post threads often, it definitely catches you by surprise.

Koh

And that's despite just removing the PSA 70% of the time.

If only this could also be applied to "am i the only one..." threads. Always better when people just state their opinion and let responses come in.

Will take a look at this sale. Thanks for the greeting!

Warning GAF
Do not under any circumstances buy these two games! They are too frightening and may cause irreparable damage to your Vita as you throw it across the room in pure terror!

Tizoc

Oh come now these are the PERFECT Halloween games, do you see any western games offer
eye soup
in any of their horror games?

AwShucks

Why would you not link to it? I'm lazy...

That said, I feel like they should be cheaper than $10 at this point. I might bite though as I've been meaning to check them out.

RedBoot

Might bite down the line, but I think I will be missing this sale. Does this go on sale often?

I think the original went on sale a few times. Either way, the big appeal here is the timing, since the next game is coming soon. I was hoping they'd offer a sale like this. Looks like I'll be grabbing them both.

Damn, I love that PSA script.

Warning GAF
Do not under any circumstances buy these two games! They are too frightening and may cause irreparable damage to your Vita and you throw it across the room in pure terror!
Yeah, replaying these games with headphones in the middle of the night, with every light out, I was kind of shitting myself.
Anyone on the fence should at least get the first one. It doesn't look like much, and I'm very much not into anime high school girls, but it does creepy weird shit very very well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've been interested in them, but I want the scariest version. I'm not too sure which one is creepier than the other.

I saw a video a while back where it seemed creepy, but I didn't want to pay full price.

I want the scariest version or game in the series.

Shizuka

I've been interested in them, but I want the scariest version. I'm not too sure which one is creepier than the other.

I saw a video a while back where it seemed creepy, but I didn't want to pay full price.

Scariest game is the first game. That's also considered the best game of the trilogy. Go for the first one.

Tizoc

Both are creepy.
Just get both since story goes CP1>BoS>upcoming Vita game.

AwShucks

Well the reviews make it clear that you'll be pretty lost if you skip the first one. I think I'm going to grab the first one now and see if I like it. If I do then I can grab the second next time there is a sale.

EDIT: OK I got the first one. It's been on my radar for a while so if anything it can just go in my backlog now :)

UberTag

Book of Shadows isn't a remake or retread, is it? If not I'll totally buy it.
It's all original material... however, bucketing it as a specific term isn't really feasible seeing how it's a little bit of everything.

It provides alternate takes on events to the first game. It provides some prequel backstory to stuff from the first game. And it provides you with the direct narrative setup for Blood Drive so there's true direct sequel content in here as well.

XSEED's Tom "Wyrdwad" Lipschultz summarized Book of Shadows the best way possible so I'll just quote him...

You really should play Corpse Party: Book of Shadows first as well, because Blood Drive literally spoils its ending within the first 30 seconds.

To clear up any confusion, no, nothing actually gets undone or retconned. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows is a bit of confusing game, but here's the run-down on it:

It's basically an anthology of eight short stories relating to the first game.

Four of these (chapters 1, 2, 5, and 6) are alternate-universe takes on the first game, following one of the wrong endings from that game in order to pull a Higurashi-like time-loop scenario that asks a lot of "what-if" questions and focuses primarily on characters who didn't get as much development in the first Corpse Party (like Mayu and Morishige). These four chapters are non-canon.

Two of these (chapters 3 and 4) are prequels to Corpse Party, taking place well before the events of the first game and giving a whole lot of development to Ms. Yui and Naho. These chapters are canon.

One of these (chapter 7) takes place during the events of the first Corpse Party game, but focuses on a different group of people (Kizami and his classmates). This chapter is canon, and is actually an alternate take on an Extra Chapter from the PC version of the first game.

And finally, chapter 8 is like, SUPER-canon, taking place two weeks after the true ending of the first game and dumping a crap-ton of plot that leads directly into Blood Drive. This, more than any other, is the chapter you really should play before firing up Blood Drive, as the cliffhanger ending of it is almost immediately spoiled upon starting up the game.

Blood Drive opens two months after the events of Book of Shadows chapter 8.

-Tom
While this is a trilogy, it might be best to think of the original Corpse Party and Blood Drive as the hearty meals and Book of Shadows as the "bridge" game that links them together.

Okay wait, Blood Drive IS coming out in NA?

Actually, I'm thinking of Corpse Party 2...

This is great news though, didn't realize Blood Drive was coming out so soon, if at all.

4Tran

Enjoy! Remember headphones are a must like Hotline Miami. The first two games are awesome have fun while the rest of us wait for Blood drive.
I'm seconding this. Headphones improve the experience and so will playing these games at night with all the lights off.

Is there a point where I need to consult a guide for the first game or can I just go into it blind and figure stuff out to get all the endings and such?

Top Bottom