• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG's new V10 Smartphone: Two screens, and a GROUFIE camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELD_6aeHGKQ

EdusrON.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/30/9429795/lg-v10-phone-availability-price

The Verge said:
There are also a few other particularly distinguishing features, some of which are pretty wild. First, there are two screens on the front of the device. There's the main, 5.7-inch QHD display, and just above that is a much smaller "always on" screen that can do a number of things. When the main screen is off, the second screen can display the weather, time and date, and battery level. When the main screen is on, the second screen can be used to for quick-launching apps, accessing favorite contacts, or serve up notifications. All in all, it sounds like it works a lot like the Edge screen found on Samsung's Galaxy S6 and Note Edge devices.

Next to that second screen is not one, but two front-facing cameras. Both are of the 5-megapixel variety, but one has a fairly wide field of view of 120 degrees while the other is a bit more narrow, measuring just 80 degrees.

Nothing crazy new but I like the ticker screen.

The two front cameras are a bit odd, with the narrow one being labeled for "selfies" and the wide angle one for "groufies" (lol)

Hands on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn0UeBR6Wzs

All I got from this is that this phone was made for rich white beautiful models who like taking group douchies as they stare into the dual front facing camera longingly as if to communicate with just their eyes...you can never be us you lowly 9 to 5 maggot.

All I got from this is that this phone was made for rich white beautiful models who like taking group douchies as they stare into the dual front facing camera longingly as if to communicate with just their eyes...you can never be us you lowly 9 to 5 maggot.

You have issues.

Phone looks good. The ad was poor.

Madness

They had me at removable battery and microsd slot. In the market for a new smartphone now that Samsung has embraced full on Apple design decisions instead of utility.

They had me at removable battery and microsd slot. In the market for a new smartphone now that Samsung has embraced full on Apple design decisions instead of utility.

Yeah, I really like my G3. I like LG lack of face buttons. Even the new Nexus by LG looks great. My wifes G3 battery started charging really slow and discharging super fast. A $10 replacement battery fixed the issue.

My G4 is the best phone that I've ever owned and this looks to be a step above that. The Groufie thing is absolutely laughable though. Just say it takes wide angle selfies and stop embarrassing yourselves LG >.>
On the other hand, the ad seems a bit misguided to me. I get that they went for the "premium in every category" type of branding, but the ad is going to turn off a lot of people from a phone that seems, IMHO, quite good.
Almost reminds me of the horrible HTC One M8 campaign. I really like Gary Oldman and I owned that phone and thought it was great but god those ads were offputting.

Altazor

Phone looks great, some good specs too. While I don't care about selfies and groufies at all, the "always on" second screen looks like a good addition to me - if it's not a major battery drain.

On the other hand, the ad seems a bit misguided to me. I get that they went for the "premium in every category" type of branding, but the ad is going to turn off a lot of people from a phone that seems, IMHO, quite good.

Edit: just for the record, I own a G3 and I love it.

GavinGT

Banned
I finished watching that video about 5 minutes ago (really just scrubbing through it), and my face is still cringing. I want literally nothing to do with that phone. If I see someone with that phone, I will instantly dislike that person.

The durability of the device is insane. I threw mine around to see what it could take. The display is protected by a layer of GG4 and GG3.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
The backs are swappable but they all looked like the same texture in the video. Hopefully they have different designs made of other materials like the G4 has.

The frame is made of steel and the dura skin over the frame is suppose to make the phone MIL-STD-810G Transit Drop Compliant. I think the phone come with 64gb storage only (sorry no 16 gig option) and it has manual controls over the video! This will be my next phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom