• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 preview from Uncharted 4 was based on Uncharted 2!

Cyborg

Embarrassing!

We’d like to apologise to Naughty Dog for a massive mistake we published last month.

On September 30 we published an article titled “Is Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End too formulaic?” based on what we thought was a hands-on session with Uncharted 4 at the Tokyo Game Show.

We didn’t realise it at the time; what we’d played wasn’t Uncharted 4, but the remastered Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, from the recently released Uncharted Collection. We were not aware of this until after the article went live.

As soon as Sony notified us of our mistake we immediately unpublished the article as it was clearly based on one massive error on our part. TGS is busy and obviously the majority of signage isn’t in English, but none of that excuses the fact that we seriously fucked up.

It’s cute to say it’s testament to the skill and beautiful artwork of the Naughty Dog team that we mistook a remastered PS3 game for Uncharted 4. But none of that changes the fact that we have massively misrepresented a game to our readers, fans of the Uncharted series and the industry who read VG247.

The buck stops with the editor of the site, so I’m the one apologising. I should have done it sooner. I am genuinely sorry for this mistake, the misrepresentation of the game and the upset this has caused the development team

Matt Martin

Editor, VG247

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Maybe the dude they sent was the in the 80% that never played UC.
He did play. He even called it familiar.

There are spam blogs out there that hold the full contents of the initial preview where the author asks "perhaps I just don’t have the eye to see what makes Uncharted 4 so tremendous graphics-wise?"

hamchan

Uncharted 2 remastered really is better looking than a lot of PS4 games.

Still though, that's pretty hilarious.

Machina

Banned
The most logical conclusion is the person previewing has never played an Uncharted game before and thus has no point of reference to realize the game was Uncharted 2, not 4.

Still pretty fucking dumb to put someone on a critical preview of a game who has absolutely zero experience with the franchise in the first place.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This reminds me of that time The Verge did a hands on review of the Google Photos app, and it turned out it was actually the old Google+ app.

Didn't stop them from praising the new and innovative design though ><

Reminds me of this. How does something like this get past editorial?

That's the one.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The funniest part from that preview:
.. No guidance is offered on where you&#8217;re supposed to go next, but the Uncharted veteran in me immediately shimmied a sign post and leapt through a hole in a nearby wall.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
How can they not know? Have they not played it lol? Even a small no-name website won't do such a mistake.

Really? REALLY!!??

Or did you just print what was written in a desperate scramble for clicks without checking a single thing from the article beforehand?

This is another good example of why I basically ignore preview/review sites these days.

Pyccko

2HLNHDa.gif

That's pretty astounding.

iMax

From the original piece...

But graphics don’t make the game, and even if Uncharted 4 is the most beautiful thing ever to have happened in the history of video games, it’s not – it’s not new. This is a complaint that has been levelled a lot this generation, I think, that games are just shinier rather than more interesting, and Uncharted may be in for the same critique. Where the first Uncharted games felt like they were blowing the bar sky high, this one just felt like more of the same.

Well at least they've been honest in two instances: genuinely criticizing the game thinking it was U4 instead of faking praising it, and apologizing for it.

But really VG247, news reporting is where you're best at. Even an event like TGS should be for you a news-harvesting occasion. For previews and reviews there are so many outlets out there.

Wow what a fuckup. How can you play a ps3 game and think its uncharted 4 to begin with ?

As good as the remaster its, its pretty obvious that its not next gen

Top Bottom