• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront III - What could of been...

Armadilo

Banned
Was looking at this video of Battlefront 3 leaked Alpha gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WeX41WfOsY

and Damn, just damn What could have been, crazy how much stuff was going to be in the game.

After playing this years Battlefront Beta, I have mixed feelings.

happy that we get more Battlefront, Sad because I wish it was more like the OG Battlefront.

Guess we might have to wait for that Battlefront 2 from Dice, What could have been ....

JeffGrubb

"could've"

To avoid being just a pedant, I'll say that I think Battlefront (2015) is a really good idea for a Star Wars shooter and Battlefront III looks cheesy but fun but I'm also not salty for it not happening.

Trace

Banned
What could have been if they could actually make the game. What they were trying to make wasn't possible, Lucasarts cut it after they started missing deadlines.

hawk2025

I think Battlefront is shaping up fairly well on the basics of the moment-to-moment gameplay, but it does feel like a bit of an embryonic game instead of the full-fledged sequel I was expecting when it was announced. I'm still quite excited for what we are getting, though.

"could've"

I know this is totally not what we should be doing, but I'll be damned if I didn't have the exact same temptation to reply like this when I first saw the thread title! One of those grammar mistakes that don't stand up to even a few seconds of scrutiny, and yet it still dominates the internet.

oti

Banned
HAVE BEEN

Why do we non-native speakers have to correct the native English speakers? Why?

Sorry for being OT but come on!

Boke1879

While a game like this fully realized could have been great. We honestly have no way of knowing. There is a reason the game was canned and we don't know if they could have even gotten something like this playable on last gen hardware.

Personally I'm happy with the Battlefront we have now. Of course there is room for improvement but I don't think it's fair to look at an incomplete, unfinished game that never existed.

eFKac

Ehh I don't know, hard to compare by just watching the video.

I'm also lukewarm on the EA Battlefront though.

nOoblet16

Half of the video is just people running and ships flying, the only interesting thing I see are the maps.

I have a feeling that most of the maps in Battlefront will be just wide fields, be it barren like a sand/snow desert or a jungle. I do not expect any city maps or such, they could have even used Tatooine's settlements for maps rather than just random canyons but I'm not expecting them to have any such maps.

Sushigod7

While I didn't love the beta more for performance issues than content I'm not sure that game would have ever been released seems way to ambitious. I'm pretty salty about 1414 though which that would see the light of day.

Kas

Here's hoping that Battlefront sells enough to make a sequel more in line with this footage.

And put in the CIS. I loved my Droids in 2, and I'm sad they're not in this.

-MD-

I knew it'd be a Battlefield clone when they said DICE were doing it.

Mostly feel bad for the fans that wanted a real Battlefront game.

Risette

A Good Citizen
idk, this romanticized view of a game that was stuck in dev hell for a long time is weird to me. it probably sucked. while DICE's battlefront is quite a bit different it still does a good job of being a battlefront game, and the first two battlefronts are probably some of my most played games ever.
I knew it'd be a Battlefield clone when they said DICE were doing it.

Mostly feel bad for the fans that wanted a real Battlefront game.
lol like one of the biggest complaints from people is that it's not battlefield enough (a good thing imo)

Borman

Still plenty of videos of me playing it here:
http://ptoponline.com/?p=778&page=6#videos

What do you want to know? :p

1.jpg

My Youtube:
http://youtube.com/ptoponline

Ill be doing a much longer piece soon with more unseen gameplay, and some details that havent been revealed elsewhere. Possibly some new video if I can manage it.

As much as I loved the beta, going from ground to space battles... Ugh. So beautiful.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN PLEASE TODAY IS TEACHER'S DAY IN BRAZIL DON'T DO THIS TO ME RIGHT IN THE TITLE

Yeah that would have been amazing. Dice's BF isn't a bad game and I plan on getting it at launch, but when you watch this gameplay it leaves you wanting so much more.

I love watching this footage over and over but I feel Dice has done a decent job. There is no doubt the game is fun to play for the majority of people. Still don't like the token system for vehicles but I understand why they had to do it that way. Would love to see TaunTaun's and Wampa's on assault walker. Also, please keep jarjar out of the game

People are still trotting out the Battlefield clone thing as if it's remotely true? Must not have played the beta and any recent Battlefield game.

Kriken

As others have said "Could have" is the key phrase. Also, it's not like everything from this was scrapped, Elite Squadron seemed to have used the story in that trailer to some degree

Drayco21

Bummer we never got this, the first two were great. I have zero interest in DICE's $110 game with even less content than the one I played a decade ago.

Sou Da

As much as I loved the beta, going from ground to space battles... Ugh. So beautiful.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN PLEASE TODAY IS TEACHER'S DAY IN BRAZIL DON'T DO THIS TO ME RIGHT IN THE TITLE

I still to this day doubt it would have made it into the final game in any meaningful way.

Armadilo

Banned
So let's say Battlefront 3 came out when it was supposed to, would we be on Battlefront 5 or 6 by now on the current consoles ?

Eggbok

I think Battlefront is shaping up fairly well on the basics of the moment-to-moment gameplay, but it does feel like a bit of an embryonic game instead of the full-fledged sequel I was expecting when it was announced.

I know this is totally not what we should be doing, but I'll be damned if I didn't have the exact same temptation to reply like this when I first saw the thread title!

EA's Battlefront is a reboot, I do expect it to be closer to the Battlefront we were expecting by the end of the DLC run.
So let's say Battlefront 3 came out when it was supposed to, would we be on Battlefront 5 or 6 by now on the current consoles ?

It would have likely been rebooted anyways. Since Disney owns Star Wars now everything has to be canon related and the previous Battlefronts have a lot of non canon battles and planets.

Go_Ly_Dow

Free Radicals BattleFront, even at that early stage looked far more ambitious and full of depth.

I mean......seamless planet to space battles! :(

In exchange we get some pretty graphics that I will forget about in a few weeks.

Armadilo

Banned
Only hope is that Supremacy Battlefront game mode, but kinda sounds more like that Battlefield game mode so yeah... Hope

Top Bottom