• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman leans her airline seat back, passenger behind tries to choke her in retaliation

To whom does the space belong?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/SFO-bound-jet-returns-to-LA-due-to-scuffle-over-6577341.php

A man aboard a San Francisco-bound flight was detained Sunday night after he apparently tried to strangle a fellow passenger who had leaned her seat back shortly after the plane took off from Los Angeles International Airport, authorities and witnesses said.

Southwest flight 2010 had been in the air for just over ten minutes when around 10:43 p.m. the scuffle broke out, prompting the pilots to turn back, police said.

The FBI detained one of the passengers, who was not identified, and authorities are investigating the details of the reported assault, said airport police Officer Rob Pedregon.

A woman aboard the flight took of photo from inside the plane of several police cars on the runway and described the altercation in an Instagram post written in German.

The woman, who goes by @mel.anita, said nine police cars surrounded the plane after a man grabbed the passenger by the throat when she tilted her seat back.

The nearly 150 passengers on the flight were put on board another flight and arrived in San Francisco at 1:43 a.m. Monday, Pedregon said.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I was recently on a flight from France to Scotland and the airline had made it so you couldn't lean back at all. Fantastic. I wish more airlines would do it.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
The never ending war.

I put my seat back, because it's my seat. If it's not enough room for you, put your seat back.

that said, I usually only put it back JUST a little, because I'm not a monster!

entremet

WT0h7ec.jpg

Dabanton

Lol the bane of air travel. I don't mind if someone puts their seat back as long as they at least ask me if I don't mind first.

DrArchon

So she leaned back and he immediately went for the kill? I mean, I was expecting this to be at the end of a flight to Hawaii or something, not at the start of flight from LA to San Fran.

Palmer_v1

I honestly don't understand the hate for reclining. What exactly are you doing that requires that tiny bit of extra space the top of their chair has reclined into?

I honestly don't understand the hate for reclining. What exactly are you doing that requires that tiny bit of extra space the top of their chair has reclined into?

That's what I never understand. The seat back is way up high, your knees are way down low. I don't get it. I've never been bothered by it and I'm 6'.

rambis

Banned
I dont get it. She pays for her seat just like anybody else. If she wants to let it back its her prerogative. Silly thing to get mad over.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'd blame the airlines for this shit, but the truth is people would rather have their knees crushed than pay extra fare.

lem0n

Passenger did what we all want to do sometimes to recliners in front of us, but holy shit that doesn't mean you can act on it lol. What an asshole.

Troy

Banned
what poor action did she take?

Thinking she had the right to put her seat onto someone else's lap. Fuck people that do that. And god bless the airlines that are now making it so seats don't recline.

Lol the bane of air travel. I don't mind if someone puts their seat back as long as they at least ask me if I don't mind first.

This. Ask first. Don't just assume it's OK.

StoneFox

Another good reason for me to always buy the seat in the row ahead of the emergency door. No one directly behind me so I can lean back as far as it will go.

I don't mind if people lean back in front of me though, I'm tiny.

Chris R

The only thing I don't like about the reclining is when they can't stick with a position and drinks have already been served.

Either keep it all the way back or all the way up, and make the decision as soon as 10k feet is reached.

rambis

Banned
Thinking she had the right to put her seat onto someone else's lap. Fuck people that do that. And god bless the airlines that are now making it so seats don't recline.

Maybe you ask as a courtesy, but it became ok the moment you pay for a ticket.
You do know people paid for that extra bit of tiny space, right? How is it fair of me to encroach on their limited freedom of movement?
What?

I don't mind it personally, however how is it not ok for the person in their seat to not lean back? It's there seat, they paid for a ticket just like you did. Up in the air, there are no rules.

pigeon

Banned
Wow, while I wasn't paying attention reclining your chair became a social violation. I did not expect this.

Basically, airplanes are terrible environments for human beings.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Her action was poor.

NO.

NO.

NO.

Everyone blaming people for leaning back is excusing the airlines for the UTTER BULLSHIT of wrecking your comfort to squeeze in two more rows of seats.

NO.

Stop blaming people for leaning back and put the blame where it belongs. Airlines an the FAA for allowing it.

They've cleverly got customers blaming each other. Fuck that shit.

As long as my seat is a recliner, it will be reclined. Ask me in any manner to raise it, I will respond in the same way, with a denial.

I do agree that they shouldn't recline, but they meed beyter design. Have automated recline for night flights.

Do these planes that do not recline at least have some lean in the seats positioning?

GAF is so weird about reclining airplane seats. Do you guys not recline to sleep during night flights?

You do know people paid for that extra bit of tiny space, right? How is it fair of me to encroach on their limited freedom of movement?

You could reverse this argument and say that the person reclining also paid for that added bit of comfort.

Arjen

In guessing you're not really tall.
If sonemeone reclines I lose the few millimeters of space my knees have.

SmartBase

Is this some American thing where their planes have too many seats and/or don't have enough leg room? Not being able to recline your seat is the height of savagery.

Planes are one of the places I'm glad to be short. I always hear everyone else complaining about leg room while I'm all cozy with my short little babby legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom