• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terranigma 20th Anniversary Thread

Celine

7dsWpDM.png

On October 20, 1995 Enix published Tenchi Sōzō (天地創造) in Japan for Super Famicom.

The game, known in the west as Terranigma (which in italian could mean "riddle of the Earth"), was developed by Quintet and would later be distributed by Nintendo in Europe and Australia around late 1996 or early 1997.
Terranigma was never released in North America probably due to the waning 16 bit market, which is a real shame since Terranigma is the finest Action RPG on SNES and one of the best game ever created.

3PO088d.gif

This thread is dedicated to Tomoyoshi Miyazaki, he vanished as mysteriously as Quintet did in early 2000.
1rmz2BK.png

Developed by
6gSc2jJ.png

Artwork by Kamui Fujiwara

NAtgwwR.jpg

CuwnpSb.jpg

Character Art by Kamui Fujiwara

cuMurjd.jpg

K1VrcfJ.jpg

German comic

WkwtQZ4.jpg

n96KfPp.jpg

HgNGMDV.jpg

Music
A few music samples from Terranigma soundtrack

Light and darkness
Hometown
Unforseen occurence
Dark side field
Elle's theme
Light side field
Undergrounds-dungeons
Evergreen
Top of saint mountain
Sanctuar
Fukan
Willful lion
Revival of human being
Europe
Wandering spirits
Race in mushrooms
Call at a port
Genius'playground
A hero's final day
Ending theme
Final Battle

ZfnkVZs.jpg
Shipment numbers provided by Quintet
ZfnkVZs.jpg

Tenchi Sōzō / Terranigma
JP: 200,000
NA: Never released
EU: NA

Advertisement

Japanese TV commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C6Csecv6nQ

JP Print Ad

Italian Nintendo Catalogue ’96-’97

Bonus
Rare Quintet english interview around 1997 when they were , with Game Arts, one of the most prestigious member of GD-Net:

Must read old Quintet interviews translated by Shmuplations:
http://shmuplations.com/quintet/

Japanese interview
tsG69gR.jpg

Some other JIFs:

Elle's wise words need to be kept in mind

Y8a1rx4.png

If anyone need the confirmation that Terranigma was the spiritual sequel of Illusion of Gaia

IiQ6dad.png

Terranigma manga by Yasaka Mamiko

180.jpg
i50412.jpg

Clan of the Grey Wolf's review
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Other GAF anniversary thread:
Illusion of Gaia's 20th anniversary
Chrono Trigger's 20th anniversary
Metroid's 25th anniversary
Secret of Mana's 20th anniversary

This thread was powered by
GASa1.jpg
6VPGQ9s.gif

Amazing game. The Soul Blazer trilogy is still amazing to this day. A real shame it was never officially released over here in the US. Thanks NoA.

beril

Great game, but I think Soul Blazer is still Quintets best game. Despite the simplistic gameplay there something very special about it. Terranigma doesn't do the the resurrection theme nearly as well and the pacing isn't as good.

TheMoon

Best game ever. Seminal moment in my gaming life.

One of the best and most defining SNES games out there. Only reason nobody knows or cares much is North America didn't get it. PAL players have been singing its praises every chance they get.

Resurrecting the world and learning about its places and evolution as a kid was an amazing and still unrivaled experience.

Thanks NoA.

Thank Enix USA for closing.

Reset

The second best game out of the trilogy(Soul Blazer being the best), all three games were great though. It would be great if they put the trilogy back up on the eshop,psn,etc. The trilogy is easily my favorite RPGs on the SNES.
And what ever happened to Quintet? Is there any explanation for their disappearance? :(

I bought this game as a substitute for Chrono Trigger as that was never released here. I didn't expect a lot, but boy what a great adventure it was. I loved rebuilding the world.

In the end I rank Chrono Trigger and Earthbound a bit higher, but Terranigma is up there. Top 10 SNES games for me.

This game is so ridiculously special to me. On my eleventh birthday I asked for a SNES and Terranigma. Every single year since then I've played it to completion. Literally my most favourite game ever.

I like all three entries in this unofficial trilogy, but Terranigma is my favourite of the bunch. Its the most traditional of the three, but also the largest in scope, and the most diverse. It's got a strong emotional core, and some heavy and bold ideas like all the others.

I'm not sure if I'll get around to playing it this month, but I'll try to do a replay before the year is over. Glad you remembered to make the thread, Celine.

Akai

Nice timing for this thread, because I'm currently playing through the game again (having played through at least several dozen times). Obviously one of my favorite games ever, and one of only two games to ever make me cry (the other being Link's Awakening). Hell, a bunch of scenes STILL make me tear up despite the multitude of playthroughs...

I just wish I could play through the game on a native system (American, here) once before I die...

woopWOOP

Never seen most of that official artwork. Awesome! (The German one is kind of neat looking too!)
Still the only one in the trilogy I played and finished, but so glad I did. Such a wonderful game.

That goat scene still gives me the sad :(

e: So that's how the elder looks like!
I always thought it was some creepy looking fellow with dots for eyes and a mouth without teeth. Turns out that dark area's actually his eyes, ha.

qcf x2

No gif of the 3D graphics? This is one of those rare and almost perfect gems that everybody should play.

It's also a game that I'd love to see remade. Since the company doesn't really make games anymore, is anything stopping a fan remake project?

TheMoon

No gif of the 3D graphics? This is one of those rare and almost perfect gems that everybody should play.

It's also a game that I'd love to see remade. Since the company doesn't really make games anymore, is anything stopping a fan remake project?

Terranigma-Opening.gif

tumblr_lvdqn5X6tA1qjag6vo1_400.gif

there ya go :D

shaowebb

This game is by far one of the greatest RPG's ever created in history and why only Chrono Trigger saw rereleases and not Terranigma is something I see as pure blind lunacy. This game is legendary. Its one of the most defining experiences in the genre PERIOD. A perfect blend of RPG and Zelda.

dr_mario

Best RPG ever, and it's already 20 years old? So fond memories of being stuck at the witch and replaying it years later just to rock the game with these weird twists and
reborning
and all. Greates. RPG. Ever. Normally, I'm called ark4869 in forums, but that didn't quite work here ;)

This and Sin & Punishment on N64 are the biggest FUCK YOU NOA ever for me. Played in the nineties thanks to emulation. Absolute gem.

Peltz

I am dying to play this game. Any way to play it in English and 60z on a North American Super Nintendo or Super Famicom?

Parsnip

I am dying to play this game. Any way to play it in English and 60z on a North American Super Nintendo or Super Famicom?

There's a patch for the pal rom that makes it 60hz, and if you can then plop the patched rom to something that your ntsc snes plays, that probably works.

Great game. At some point I just have no idea what's going on though due to the bad translation and some narrative ellipses.

Dat ending though.

RyType

love this game- one of my fondest christmas gaming memories was recieving this game as a gift a little after the N64 had been out for a little while (my parents happened to find it in a woolworths.) and spent the entire morning completing the towers in the underworld- incredible atmosphere.

dr_mario

Best overworld map ever?
Best overworld map ever!

That special moment when you step out of the village for the first time and you get this map and that awesome music and you know that this is going to be beyond awesome...

Next to "Sad Theme", the overworld music is my most favourite videogame music ever! And yes, best overworld map ever!

Have I already said it's the best RPG ever?

Vertti

It's a good game but imo not worth all the praise.

The gameplay itself is quite simple. You have many attacks but mostly use the same one. The magic system isn't very well done and not very useful. The level up system is also a bit wonky because at one level you do 1 damage and the next level you kill enemies with few hits. So there are at least one or two parts were you have to grind.

It also has the classic problem of older rpgs where you don't know what to do or where to go. And I hate that and rather just use a guide. So yeah not a big problem but a minor one at least. Could be annoying if you don't want to use guides.

Well what I did like. The world itself is kinda cool with all this creation stuff and there are few touching moments in the story. The soundtrack feels very different and few songs bored me to death when playing. But it's something I've learned to appreciate later. Few killer good songs like the last boss music and credits theme.

All in all a solid 8.5 game. So if you ever get chance to play it go for it.

Oh and forgot to say. I really like the graphics. Few almost jaw dropping scenes that are hard to believe to be done in SNES. And that I really didn't like the menu. It's a cool idea but it's not the most practical one.

As good as Chrono Trigger, easily.

I also want to know how many dicks I have to suck to see Miyazaki making games again ;-;

God, everything about this game is amazing. The encounter design in this game is on point, the puzzles are made in an adventure-like manner so that it doesn't feel out of place, and it complements the great level design, the soundtrack is amazing, the side content is fun, the world map is possibly the best ever made. Even the camp menu is noteworthy.

Just... Everything.

And I absolutely love the way they handle magic btw, with magirocks and stuff (too bad magic is mostly useless though =P)

I just want to talk for hours on end about Terranigma.

Top 5 action RPG of all time and right behind Link to the Past on the SNES. Anyone else waiting fervently for Cryamore? It looks a lot like classic Quintet.

Robin64

Obligatory:

055.png

Fuck her! Seriously, fuck her so much!

Heh, not too bad when you realise that leveling does silly things with numbers in this game. Like, you might be doing 1 damage to her at level 21, then 1 damage to her at level 22, then 2 damage to her at 23, then 40 damage to her at level 24.

I pulled these numbers out of my arse, I can't remember the exact figures, but there's always a level you hit where BAM, suddenly becomes a huge cakewalk.

Apparently magic works on her too, but I never once used magic.

alf717

Great OP going to read the interviews later. Still wish I could officially play this in the US legally. This Game really needs a VIrtual Console release.

Dingens

quite possibly my favourite game of all time, and it's not even nostalgia based. The first time I played (and beat) it was around 2004...
I wish I had a working snes right now... the game cart begs to be played again

Celine

It also has the classic problem of older rpgs where you don't know what to do or where to go. And I hate that and rather just use a guide. So yeah not a big problem but a minor one at least. Could be annoying if you don't want to use guides.
The progression is fairly linear most of the times.
Later on the world open up but the places you can explore are relatively few.
The quest to advance civilization (city building) require a bit more of brain but it isn't overtly difficult.
I don't think you need a guide at all to play this game (unless you don't know much the language used in the game).

Zue is underrated.

Heh, not too bad when you realise that leveling does silly things with numbers in this game. Like, you might be doing 1 damage to her at level 21, then 1 damage to her at level 22, then 2 damage to her at 23, then 40 damage to her at level 24.

I pulled these numbers out of my arse, I can't remember the exact figures, but there's always a level you hit where BAM, suddenly becomes a huge cakewalk.

Apparently magic works on her too, but I never once used magic.

That's old school Falcom vets for ya! :p

Top Bottom