• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Story / White Cat Project |OT| Tail of a single white feline

ReaperXL7

This will be a basic OT for a game that recently came out in the U.S called Rune Story, there is a Asian version that came out also called White Cat Project.

RuneStory_604x423.jpg

App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colopl-rune-story/id1010987911
Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.coloplni.wcatus

Guild:
The Gaf guild is up so send your requests to "Neogaf" and I'll approve them as I am able to

OVERVIEW:

Time to enter a world of magic and adventure and battle the dark forces creating havoc in the land.

Here are some tips to help you navigate through the game easier. Below is a screenshot of the Quest Map and the game features that you might want to check out. Here are the list of features currently available in the game:

Difficulty Level:
■You may change the level of Difficulty of a quest from NORMAL to HARD by TAPPING on it.

■Here is where you may receive messages from friends and guild mates along with messages considered as a world chat.

Guild:
■This feature allows you to join or create a guild with a capacity of 50 members.

Achievements:
■This is where you can claim rewards and keep track of the achievements you have completed and need to complete for the day. It is separated in three (3) categories such as Daily, Missions and Town.

Settings (MENU):
■This feature allows you to add friends, change game settings, check on news and updates, claim gifts from your Presents Box, and other game related adjustments that you need to make. You may also register your account here by TAPPING on the OPTIONS tab.

Quest:
■This is where you get to fight monsters and get the needed materials to make your characters stronger.

Town:
■The Town feature allows you to build structures that can help you boost the capabilities of your characters along with the upgrades that can help maximize your accounts potential.

Team:
■This allows you to choose the characters that you want to use in doing a specific quest.

Co-op:
■This is a feature that allows you to do a quest or enter a dungeon with the help of other players.

Shop:
■It allows you to make purchases and this is also where you can either summon a new character or a new weapon. Please take note that summoning is random.

(*note)
So far as I have been able to find out 4* is the highest you are able to pull from the Gacha for both new characters and weapons. You can have them reach a higher star count but only through the grind.

crs1620.jpg

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrvV9ZTPWlA

I have only really grown attached to a few of these gatcha games but so far i'm really enjoying this one. It probably helps to an extent that its somewhat Diablo like which I find fun and I like the art style.

I only started play this morning so if there is any information that I should add to the OP feel free to let me know.

chrono01

Thanks for making this OT, the game really is a lot of fun!

One thing I would add is the Famitsu "tier list" that's routinely updated. Granted a lot of these units aren't available in-game yet [and the information is in Japanese], but it'll at least give you some idea of what to expect.

http://wiki.famitsu.com/shironeko/

As for current units, the top three currently available are Mira [A+] and Hao [A]. Any 4* is worth it though. I got lucky with Hao on my first pull, but I would have been happy with any.

Also, it's best [at least initially] to use your gems to increase your builders/critters [in town] [to 4, as recommended by Japanese players] so you can upgrade at a decent pace. Focus on Mine/Inn early on, to get a steady supply of gold as well as increase your overall team cost. Avoid the weapon gatcha if you can, since characters are more important early on and you can get quite a few 4* weapons through events. Once you have four 4* weapons you can "exchange them" in-game for another 4* of your choosing, should you wish to do so.

I'm waiting to pull more characters until the pool is improved. A lot of the launch characters, such as Mira and Hao, are fine, but all of these are outclassed later on [which tends to happen in gatcha games]. The developer has been extremely generous in handing out free gems, though, which is great to see. Obviously it'll slow down a bit later, but I'm enjoying it at the moment.

If you get that GAF guild going, let me know and I'll definitely join! I'm currently in one now, just as a filler so I can have people to use when I go on quests. Oh, if you do make the guild, make sure it's one that requires approval by you, that way anyone that joins is a GAF member. d(^_^)v

LtOrange

I started playing in the beta and am really enjoying myself. I hope we can get GAF guild going, so I can finally try co-op.

ReaperXL7

Thanks for making this OT, the game really is a lot of fun!

One thing I would add is the Famitsu "tier list" that's routinely updated. Granted a lot of these units aren't available in-game yet [and the information is in Japanese], but it'll at least give you some idea of what to expect.

http://wiki.famitsu.com/shironeko/

As for current units, the top three currently available are Mira [A+] and Hao [A]. Any 4* is worth it though. I got lucky with Hao on my first pull, but I would have been happy with any.

Also, it's best [at least initially] to use your gems to increase your builders/critters [in town] [to 4, as recommended by Japanese players] so you can upgrade at a decent pace. Focus on Mine/Inn early on, to get a steady supply of gold as well as increase your overall team cost. Avoid the weapon gatcha if you can, since characters are more important early on and you can get quite a few 4* weapons through events. Once you have four 4* weapons you can "exchange them" in-game for another 4* of your choosing, should you wish to do so.

I'm waiting to pull more characters until the pool is improved. A lot of the launch characters, such as Mira and Hao, are fine, but all of these are outclassed later on [which tends to happen in gatcha games]. The developer has been extremely generous in handing out free gems, though, which is great to see. Obviously it'll slow down a bit later, but I'm enjoying it at the moment.

If you get that GAF guild going, let me know and I'll definitely join! I'm currently in one now, just as a filler so I can have people to use when I go on quests. Oh, if you do make the guild, make sure it's one that requires approval by you, that way anyone that joins is a GAF member. d(^_^)v

Thanks for the information this will be very helpful. My first pull was Mira so after seeing your post I'm pretty happy about that.

Also the guild is officially up, so fell free to put in your requests. Guild=Neogaf

Looking forward to some co op with everyone

ReaperXL7

I noticed on the famitsu list (can't read it mind you) but it would seem there are full class categories we are missing as they list rogues and some type of dragon rider/beast rider class.

Game is quite fun so far and I really dig Mira's lighting caller ability I just unlocked..wrecks pretty nicely

LtOrange

Thanks for the information this will be very helpful. My first pull was Mira so after seeing your post I'm pretty happy about that.

Also the guild is officially up, so fell free to put in your requests. Guild=Neogaf

Looking forward to some co op with everyone

So jealous!!

colinp

Banned
My first pull was the corn on the cob boxer. I tried, but I just couldn't. Seemed like a fun game, but come on- what kind of design is that???

He was four star but ehhhh no thanks. Also this eats my poor 5S battery like there's no tomorrow.

Miracle

I've been waiting for someone to make an OT of this. Been playing literally since the hour it launched.

Although right now, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to obtain those damn class runes! I can evolve two of my characters but I don't have any class runes to evolve them with. I have a bunch of the colored runes but that's it.

I can repeating the quests where it claims to drop a specific one but so far no dice. This sucks. :(

RalchAC

I don't get it.

My Xperia M2 is not compatible in this game but for some reason the crappy smartphone my mothers uses (which is linked to my Google account too) works.

Since this is quite playable on bluestack with mouse, I might stick with it for a while lol. btw is the guild platform specific or not?

seady

I think the top 3 mobile games in Japan are:

Puzzle & Dragons
White Cat Project (Rune Story)
Monsters Strike

Of course there are others like Tsum Tsum, Candy Crush etc the casual friendly ones. But the more hardcore ones are these three.

Miracle

Almost at 2600 GP for another class rune but still need one more to evolve my Sniper...and I never got one from a drop yet.

Ugh. If wasn't for the ridiculously low drop rate for those class runes, this game would be the perfect FTP game. It's pretty damn generous overall when it comes to rewards.

Is anyone else getting a ton of crashes? It gets especially bad if you open up the chat. The game is alright so far, but that and the 3d models being used as portraits are really off-putting. I hope that they patch the 2d art in that the JP version has.

chrono01

Is anyone else getting a ton of crashes? It gets especially bad if you open up the chat. The game is alright so far, but that and the 3d models being used as portraits are really off-putting. I hope that they patch the 2d art in that the JP version has.
Yes, and it's incredibly frustrating. There's definitely a memory leak somewhere, hopefully they fix it soon. I also agree about the art. The in-game models are fine, since that's how it is in the Japanese version too, but I'd love the 2D art for the cut-scenes/unit information.

Oh, if anyone wants to add me, my in-game name is Chrono [I have a Level 96 evolved Hao]. Just let me know your name once you said the request so I can add you.

The western branch of Colpol apparently doesn't have a good reputation. I thought it'd be the usual stuff of being constantly behind, no collabs, etc. that goes one with these games, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints about wide stretches of no events or communication from them. Considering their communication on Rune Story (they're basically ignoring the fact that crashes have been a widespread issue since early in the beta), I don't see this having a high chance of being different. I ended up switching to the JP version. I usually avoid doing this, but I haven't liked a gatcha game this much outside of PAD. Decided it's better to just cut my losses now.

They've made a lot of changes in the global version besides the 2d art. Stuff I've noticed so far:

1) 4* aren't guaranteed in JP on the first pull. Not much of an issue since you're able to get enough gems for a 11 pull really quickly by running the early co-op levels.

2) UI for active skills was changed. You're able to play with one hand on the JP version since you bring up the menu for skills by pressing down for 1-2 seconds and then swiping in certain directions. Global version is better since it's far easier to take advantage of the ridiculous amount of invincibility frames on active skills.

3) Some of the 3d models in the global version are apparently being changed. I haven't seen any old units yet in-game, but I did see a comparison of Leonardo on the official forum with a couple of people complaining about it.

3) Chat and guilds aren't in the original version. There's a private party option for co-op instead.

4) Instead of the instant tickets in the global version, there are scrolls that allow you to increase the rate for rank exp, gold, souls, and drops for an hour. Instant tickets are better for solo while scrolls have the advantage of being usable for co-op.

5) Presentation in the global version has been completely gutted. The majority of the story has been cut out. There's also Fire Emblem support-style conversations that you get for your characters as their affinity rises that were taken out. Every line of dialogue so far has been voiced. I was wondering how this game game charts so high considering how generous they are with free stuff. The presentation is probably a huge part of it. I don't blame them for not trying to license the voices or dubbing considering how much dialogue there is, but losing the rest of that stuff is a shame.

So I got a 4 star Annabelle and a 2 star sword. Is that a good start?

I don't know anything about the game but it seems fun.

So I got a 4 star Annabelle and a 2 star sword. Is that a good start?

I don't know anything about the game but it seems fun.
Hao and Mira are the best in the game right now, but any of the 4 stars outside of the warriors seem decent. It's best to just save gems since all of the current units are going to be outclassed soon enough. You can get through a lot of the current solo content with a 4 star and filling in the rest of your team with 3 stars from the the free rolls.

chrono01

The western branch of Colpol apparently doesn't have a good reputation. I thought it'd be the usual stuff of being constantly behind, no collabs, etc. that goes one with these games, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints about wide stretches of no events or communication from them. Considering their communication on Rune Story (they're basically ignoring the fact that crashes have been a widespread issue since early in the beta), I don't see this having a high chance of being different. I ended up switching to the JP version. I usually avoid doing this, but I haven't liked a gatcha game this much outside of PAD. Decided it's better to just cut my losses now.

They've made a lot of changes in the global version besides the 2d art. Stuff I've noticed so far:

1) 4* aren't guaranteed in JP on the first pull. Not much of an issue since you're able to get enough gems for a 11 pull really quickly by running the early co-op levels.

2) UI for active skills was changed. You're able to play with one hand on the JP version since you bring up the menu for skills by pressing down for 1-2 seconds and then swiping in certain directions. Global version is better since it's far easier to take advantage of the ridiculous amount of invincibility frames on active skills.

3) Some of the 3d models in the global version are apparently being changed. I haven't seen any old units yet in-game, but I did see a comparison of Leonardo on the official forum with a couple of people complaining about it.

3) Chat and guilds aren't in the original version. There's a private party option for co-op instead.

4) Instead of the instant tickets in the global version, there are scrolls that allow you to increase the rate for rank exp, gold, souls, and drops for an hour. Instant tickets are better for solo while scrolls have the advantage of being usable for co-op.

5) Presentation in the global version has been completely gutted. The majority of the story has been cut out. There's also Fire Emblem support-style conversations that you get for your characters as their affinity rises that were taken out. Every line of dialogue so far has been voiced. I was wondering how this game game charts so high considering how generous they are with free stuff. The presentation is probably a huge part of it. I don't blame them for not trying to license the voices or dubbing considering how much dialogue there is, but losing the rest of that stuff is a shame.
Yeah, the crashing is incredibly frustrating. I originally thought it was just a recent thing, but when I read that it's been this way since beta, it kind of upset me. Something like this should have been immediately fixed and not carried to official launch.

About the story, I also heard that they cut a lot of the aspects surrounding it, which probably explains why I'm no un-invested in it. Like, I really don't care about anything/anyone, since they seem to just gloss over everything. Knowing that I'm missing out on a lot of other stuff, such as affinity conversations and such, is disappointing. It's funny how they mention English VO when so little is voiced, but then given the quality of the dub this is probably a good thing. It's too bad they couldn't have given us the original Japanese VO, along with 2D portraits. The fact that they're altering the 3D models for the global version, such as adding a mustache to Leonardo, is just...weird. I mean, I could maybe see it if the model was extremely scantily-clad/revealing or something, but adding a mustache when it's not needed? That's just extra [unnecessary] work.

It's too bad, as I do enjoy the gameplay. I'll still play it casually hoping that Colopl patches/fixes things, but I definitely won't invest too much time [and especially money] into it, not with Brave Exvius and Phantom of the Kill incoming, as well as Granblue Fantasy.

jengo

Did they take out counters? I roll when the enemy is red and attacks me, but my follow up attack is just normal. Taking out the long tap skill menu was a tough pill to swallow, but this plus the change in art direction/VO is pushing me back to the JP version...

chrono01

The game is fun, but the constant crashing [that still hasn't been fixed] is really destroying whatever enjoyment I could be having. If it keeps up, I can see myself quitting because of it.

aitakute

I've been playing the JP version for about a week now. Got all these characters. I haven't seen a game where you can get that much jewels for gacha just by playing normally. I love this game. I love how the events are done. The stories for both normal and hard mode are different

chrono01

I give up on this game. If the developers can't be bothered to fix the crash errors that have been around since soft launch, then I can't be bothered to play. It's a shame, since the actual gameplay portion is solid, although the non-2D portraits and butchered story is disappointing.

Top Bottom