• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt RED largely moved on to Cyberpunk 2077

Karl Hawk

Banned
CD Projekt RED emerged briefly to claim five Golden Joystick Awards earlier today, but now it's straight back to work on Cyberpunk 2077. And, to a lesser extent, The Witcher 3.

"The team is divided right now," Michal Nowakowski, CD Projekt SVP of business and publishing, told GR+ news guy Leon Hurley at the show. "There's a sizable team still working on [The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine], but an even more sizable team has actually been working on Cyberpunk for quite a while right now."

Nowakowski noted that Cyberpunk 2077 has been in the works since it was first announced back in 2012, though he did add that it was "very early development." CD Projekt Red hasn't given any hint of a release date for the sci-fi, open-world RPG (it's never even officially said the game's coming to this generation of consoles) but we'll hopefully hear more after Blood and Wine launches in the first quarter of 2016.

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/witcher-3-studio-moved-cyberpunk-2077/?tag=grsocial-20

go-god-go-part-2-20061102015236763.jpg

Absolutely day one. After how amazing The Witcher 3 was, I'll buy anything they make of that caliber. Hoping its out by 2018.

Best wishes.

It will be a waste of resources if they spend time working on it for X1 and PS4 only to get pushed back to next generation.

Would make sense if they can get it done in time for cross-gen.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Well, wouldn't Blood & Wine be pretty much done by now? Probably just a small team fixing bugs and doing QA.

They've been working on Witcher games for close to a decade by now. Time to move onto something new. I don't know what Cyberpunk 2077 is but if it's as well made as The Witcher 3 I'll definitely be picking it up.

eFKac

I'll wait for the Enhanced Edition this time around, I'm not invested in this universe compared to The Witcher, so I don't need to be there day 1.

Denton

I wish that sizeable smaller team that is working on Blood and Wine would continue working on further Witcher 3 expansions to keep us busy. Hearts of Stone was magnificent. And I want that cut questline about infiltrating the Wild Hunt back.

Lunar15

Very interested to see how they utilize a more "choose your own character/story" type game. I loved Witcher's more linear approach to storytelling, but I know a lot of people love and prefer to roll a character and have more freedom in storytelling.

Tovarisc

I wish that sizeable smaller team that is working on Blood and Wine would continue working on further Witcher 3 expansions to keep us busy. Hearts of Stone was magnificent. And I want that cut questline about infiltrating the Wild Hunt back.

I doubt CDPR is large enough to keep their design team divided for long periods of time, if they want produce TW3 scale of game in timely manner.

----

CB2077 announcement trailer from 2 years ago, gives nice idea about world and themes we are to expect; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Nice, can NOT wait to see what CDPR is cooking.

Cyberpunk 2077 aiming for a holiday 2017 release and will be delayed to spring 2018.

My shitty/obvious prediction

This game is going to be a long way away. 2019 at the earliest if it has a similar dev time as Witcher 2 to 3. I'd be shocked if it made it onto this gen of consoles.

Cant wait to see CDPR take on neon cyber future though.

Akai__

I'm one of those who could never get into Witcher games, but Cyberpunk 2077 could be just my game. I'm interested in it and looking forward to see more.

Hystzen

Release window will be longer if they decide to create new engine it why Witcher 2 took longer to make the switch to in house Red engine. I think they might create a new one for future titles

KorrZ

Yeah, after TW3 I'll be picking up whatever they make next day 1. I'm seriously pumped for Cyberpunk it's a great setting for a big sprawling RPG and I'm excited to see what CDPR can do without having to work with a pre-defined set of characters.

After Hearts of Stone I have no doubt that Blood and Wine is going to be incredible too.

Tovarisc

Release window will be longer if they decide to create new engine it why Witcher 2 took longer to make the switch to in house Red engine. I think they might create a new one for future titles

I doubt that. Witcher 3 is running REDengine 3 [1 & 2 were used for TW2's versions] and I expect CB2077 to run on same REDengine 3, or slightly updated version. Especially if they are targeting current-gen HW and we have seen what happens when you put REDengine 3 on current-gen. It has been rough and taken patch or two.

Karl Hawk

Banned
On one hand, It'll be hard for me to say goodbye to Geralt after being invested in his story (Also the possibility there may not be an Enhanced Edition to largely improve bigger problems of the game like gameplay, act 3, wild hunt, and so on)

On the other hand, I'd like to have The Witcher series to get some rest and I'm very interested to see what CDPR will bring on the table for a Cyberpunk-themed RPG.

Hopefully they do the IP justice.

Other than taking some questionable liberties from the novels, I thought they did a pretty good job adapting the games.

2019 at the earliest? They said that Cyberpunk would be even bigger than the Witcher 3

By bigger, they meant in terms of the project's scale and the gameplay systems (character customization, etc..)

Pif

Banned
Just launch the game without progress breaking bugs and slideshow framerate. I'll wait a bit longer for it if need be.

This game is going to be a long way away. 2019 at the earliest if it has a similar dev time as Witcher 2 to 3. I'd be shocked if it made it onto this gen of consoles.

Cant wait to see CDPR take on neon cyber future though.
With The Witcher 3, CDPR were working through a console generational transition, with less employees, while developing Red Engine 3 itself. With a larger staff, fully stabilized hardware specs and their engine locked, it shouldn't take as long.

Theoretically.....

Denton

I doubt CDPR is large enough to keep their design team divided for long periods of time, if they want produce TW3 scale of game in timely manner.

----

CB2077 announcement trailer from 2 years ago, gives nice idea about world and themes we are to expect; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Afaik the expansions were developed simultaneously with the main game by the Krakow studio, which is why they are of such high quality, they were not developed only in the timeframe since game's release. So the Krakow studio could continue on that..
Or they will throw everything they have on Cyberpunk.

We know as every time you pop in a thread praising Witcher 3 you keep shitting on it your golden joystick thread posts where embarrassing.

I have nothing against The Witcher, I just don't think it good enough to be a GotY. That was merely me stating my opinion on it getting GotY and giving reasons for that opinion, but how is that shit posting in a thread full of "MGS 5, really?" or even all the "The Golden Joysticks are a shit show" posts?

Anyhow, Cyberpunk then. Really looking forward to hearing and seeing more about it, but if I recall correctly, we won't get anything before 2017.

Here's the teaser trailer as a reminder

https://youtu.be/P99qJGrPNLs

I just remembered the hidden message in this trailer. Googled it now.

Do you like our latest creation? We certainly hope so :) Yo may remember that we sometimes send you guys secret messages like this. It’s a great way for us to speak right to you instead of burying ourselves in corporate mumbo-jumbo so let’s begin!

First of all – have you noticed all the details in our teaser (yes, it’s a teaser. We’ll make a proper trailer in the future)? If you know the Cyberpunk setting there are some things you can spot, like implants – look for the weapon hands and the real skin – corporate emblems that should look familiar and more. Happy hunting!

You’re probably curious about the release date. It’s currently scheduled a way off in 2015 but in truth the delivery date is more like “when it’s done”. We will release Cyberpunk to you when we’re convinced it is nothing but pure, refined, unadulterated awesome. We want it to be the most kick ass futuristic RPG ever – OK, maybe this sounds pretty bully, but it is our actual goal! You judge if we deliver it!

Oh – and you may wonder why we announced our game so early before the release. The reason is that we’re still building our dev team so if you are a talented dude or dudette willing to work in a really different company (gamers rule & boring corporate stuff drools!) on a super ambitious project, send us your application right now!careers@cdprojektred.com

So you want to know what kind of game Cyberpunk 2077 will be? The short description is that it will be a story-heavy, nonlinear, open world RPG based on the well known Cyberpunk pen&paper system and setting. Building open world games is something we are mastering right now and we believe that properly joining nonlinear gameplay with an excellent story telling will bring a totally new quality. Mmm… We’ll tell some more about it soon!

And that’s not all that’s new. We are about the reveal our other project which is much closer to being completed and yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we’re talking about :) On the 5th of February it will all be clear.

So stay tuned as we will have quite a lot to show and tell you soon!

We are waiting for you on our newly created forum called Afterlife – what other name could we have chosen for it?

CD Projekt RED Team

Safe to say the schedule changed.

Actually holy hell. This game was announced BEFORE Witcher 3 was officially official.

Cyberpunk trailer was January 2013. Wild Hunt got announced in the Febuary.

Jigolo

Fall 2017 is my guess. Hopefully the next time they show it, it will be representative of what the actual game will look like rather than releasing bullshot footage like W3

ricki42

I'm still hoping part of the team is working on a Linux port of Witcher 3, but it seems increasingly unlikely.

Top Bottom