• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Room 3 |OT| Tactile puzzles in a world of otherworldly secrets (iOS)

Launch Trailer | $4.99
Devs are working on the Android version, more details soon

The eagerly awaited sequel to the BAFTA award winning 'The Room' (Apple Game of the Year 2012) and 'The Room Two' (App Store Best of 2013-14) is finally here.

Welcome to The Room Three, a physical puzzle game within a beautifully tactile world.
Lured to a remote island, you must draw upon all your puzzle-solving ability to navigate a series of trials devised by a mysterious figure known only as “The Craftsman”.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
  • PICK-UP-AND-PLAY DESIGN - Easy to begin yet hard to put down, enjoy a unique mix of intriguing puzzles with a simple user interface.
  • INTUITIVE TOUCH CONTROLS - A tactile experience so natural you can almost feel the surface of each object.
  • EXPANDED LOCATIONS - Lose yourself in a variety of stunning new environments, each spanning multiple areas.
  • INTRICATE OBJECTS - Rotate, zoom and examine dozens of artifacts to discover their hidden secrets.
  • ATMOSPHERIC AUDIO - A haunting soundtrack coupled with dynamic sound effects create an unforgettable soundscape.
  • MAGNIFIED WORLDS - Use the new eyepiece ability to explore the world in miniature
  • ALTERNATE ENDINGS - Return to a persistent environment and change your fate
  • ENHANCED HINT SYSTEM - Re-read hints to get the full picture
  • iCLOUD & GAMECENTER SUPPORTED - Share your progress between multiple devices and unlock achievements.
  • MULTI LANGUAGE SUPPORT - Available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Turkish and Russian.
12043200_1056113121075247_1411454959852237570_n.jpg

11890978_1036808939672332_2677950317991281421_n.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Honestly I thought the move from one box to...erm, the whole room...didn't play as well. It was much cooler seeing how intricate a single box was compared to doing small tasks in a larger setting.

Still I'll probably pick this up if the reviews are good.

I loved the first one and thought the second one was a good, though predictable, improvement. Hope they change up some of the puzzles in this one.

Dineren

Banned
I really enjoyed the first one, but have yet to finish the second for some reason. It hasn't been able to hold my interest unfortunately. Maybe I'll skip that one and just try this out.

Chris R

I had an iPad for the first and second games, but I've sold it.

Does the game work on phones? If so I think I can hold out for the android version.

Otherwise I'll need to "borrow" the work iPad...

Impotaku

Played first chapter, hnnngh soooo good. It's creepy as ever but i'm having to be very careful i can see myself blasting through this very quickly. I really wish these were a lot longer but for the cost they are totally worth it for the amount of enjoyment i get out of them..

Played first chapter, hnnngh soooo good. It's creepy as ever but i'm having to be very careful i can see myself blasting through this very quickly. I really wish these were a lot longer but for the cost they are totally worth it for the amount of enjoyment i get out of them..
I found the puzzles are definitely longer than previous games, mainly because they're spread across multiple rooms in a single chapter.

Plus you return to a hub area which is a puzzle area too

Evershade

This came out of nowhere. Downloading now. Any impressions on the quality/length of this one (these games always end too quickly)?

BTA

Oh shit, I wish I realized this was out last night so I could have downloaded it while I slept. With my wi-fi right now this is going to take forever to download, so I guess I'm playing it tomorrow. Still, what a nice surprise.

Chopper

Holy shit. This game. THIS GAME! I've just completed the forge, and I am totally in love. Why aren't you all playing this right now?! It is incredible. Shits all over the previous two, amd THEY were brilliant!

BTA

Solve all of the puzzles?

That's not exactly simple, though? At least, I'm trying to get more after I got the first ending and it kinda sucks that
it's definitely a Bad Ending, yet they explicitly tell you you're getting no hints towards solving anything that'll get you the others. It's clear from playing through the game that every chapter's initial area does have optional things in it, but... there's no clear indication of where to start. So I'm going to try to find new things myself, but since it refuses to give you more hints, I'll probably have to look up a guide to get started.

Chopper

That's not exactly simple, though? At least, I'm trying to get more after I got the first ending and it kinda sucks that
it's definitely a Bad Ending, yet they explicitly tell you you're getting no hints towards solving anything that'll get you the others. It's clear from playing through the game that every chapter's initial area does have optional things in it, but... there's no clear indication of where to start. So I'm going to try to find new things myself, but since it refuses to give you more hints, I'll probably have to look up a guide to get started.
Okay. I've just got as far as you so I can be a little more helpful. Have you looked anything up yet? I'm going to try not to. What items do you have?

I have
a funny little key, a block of wax, a screwdriver and the Craftsman's key

I assume we need to make use of
the safe, the clock and the scary fortune telling box

An observation: the grandfather clock
shows the real time. Is there a reference to a time anywhere?

Edit: I opened
the safe
!

Edit: I unlocked the second ending! Whoop!

Now I'm stuck.

BTA

Okay. I've just got as far as you so I can be a little more helpful. Have you looked anything up yet? I'm going to try not to. What items do you have?

I have
a funny little key, a block of wax, a screwdriver and the Craftsman's key

I assume we need to make use of
the safe, the clock and the scary fortune telling box

An observation: the grandfather clock
shows the real time. Is there a reference to a time anywhere?

Edit: I opened
the safe
!

Edit: I unlocked the second ending! Whoop!

Now I'm stuck.

I got the
wax cylinder
by myself and then, when looking for hints on TouchArcade's forum, saw more than I wanted to about
the safe
and dealt with that (I'd known
the pendulum had to do something and noticed the thing you use to move it, but didn't realize that it could move it due to how subtle the movement is at first
). Then I saw someone hinting that
the clock, which I'd forgotten about and passed by every time I wandered around all the rooms, was important
so I dealt with that. Thanks to those things I got the third ending.

And now I too am stuck.
I know the fortune teller has to be important, and that the wax cylinders/phones/phonographs are probably all tied together. I also know I need to get into the desk's locked doors somehow. Obviously there's other remaining things in the rooms that I know I'll have to interact with at some point too. I'm just not sure where to start from here and I'm worried about looking up more since the bits and pieces I've seen on TA's forums tend to be jumbled together for all the endings, and I don't want to keep seeing more than I'd like to.

Fusebox

Banned
Loved the first, enjoyed the second. Definitely getting this.

I agree with the idea that the first one was better because it was a box rather than a room.

Chopper

I got the
wax cylinder
by myself and then, when looking for hints on TouchArcade's forum, saw more than I wanted to about
the safe
and dealt with that (I'd known
the pendulum had to do something and noticed the thing you use to move it, but didn't realize that it could move it due to how subtle the movement is at first
). Then I saw someone hinting that
the clock, which I'd forgotten about and passed by every time I wandered around all the rooms, was important
so I dealt with that. Thanks to those things I got the third ending.

And now I too am stuck.
I know the fortune teller has to be important, and that the wax cylinders/phones/phonographs are probably all tied together. I also know I need to get into the desk's locked doors somehow. Obviously there's other remaining things in the rooms that I know I'll have to interact with at some point too. I'm just not sure where to start from here and I'm worried about looking up more since the bits and pieces I've seen on TA's forums tend to be jumbled together for all the endings, and I don't want to keep seeing more than I'd like to.
Have you had a good look at the fortune teller?

I just unlocked all the endings. I found that the most important factor to solving the puzzles was indeed
the desk

After that, everything rolled along nicely.

BTA

Have you had a good look at the fortune teller?

I just unlocked all the endings. I found that the most important factor to solving the puzzles was indeed
the desk

After that, everything rolled along nicely.

Ugh, I can't believe I missed that, thanks!
For some reason I always assumed I'd have to stick a token right on the text so I never even thought of pulling it out? Good job, me.

EDIT: Now I can't figure out what to do with
this cross-shaped key- I guess I forgot about something that was still locked that wasn't the desk?
I also can't figure out how to
get the phones to record to the wax cylinder- I successfully called once I took the key and put the cylinder in, but nothing seemed to happen. Also, when I use the lens there's glowing symbols around the fortune teller now (and there's some similarly colored marks in the main area/the new power generator area; there was also some by the desk but it's gone now); is that a hint or just for effect?

EDIT2: Right after editing that in I finally
realized I could move some bricks and mess with the tree, but I don't know what to put in the slot on the other side now
. So I'm guessing the 3 things I need to deal with now are
that slot, a way to get the record to actually play so that the phone setup will work, and whatever this key goes to? The only other unused thing I can think of is the track on the railing by where the safe was, hmm.

EDIT3: Whoops, dug around more online and after seeing even more stuff I wish I hadn't heard about yet... someone pointed out where to use it. I knew I'd seen that shape before, oops.

BTA

Did you work out the wax yet?

Yup, after that key I solved everything pretty quickly. It's a little weird how
they essentially tell you what the endings will be through the cards
. Wonder which ending the inevitable sequel will continue from, hmm.
Release would be the most interesting.

Faiz

Finally finished all the secret endings. The
safe really through me. Every time I fiddled with the little gold plate on the stone railing it didn't look like it was even moving. So I kept looking for some tool to interact with it :/. I. Broke down and got a spoiler on it - the one and only time in the game. Didn't even really think it had anything to do with the Safe the whole time I was fiddling with it.

Overall another great experience. When's the Room 4 coming out? (Lol)

Heel

Finished up with all the endings in about
six and a half
hours. Only a few points where I broke down and asked for a hint. Sometimes it gets a little bit fiddly with the camera to navigate around, but it's a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things.

Great game, definitely in my top 10 this year. Play it!

Just finished up Chapter 2 and man, I feel like this is definitely what I wanted from the second game in terms of puzzle complexity and length. Very, very pleased with how The Room 3 has turned out.

Heel

Just finished up Chapter 2 and man, I feel like this is definitely what I wanted from the second game in terms of puzzle complexity and length. Very, very pleased with how The Room 3 has turned out.

You know, I really don't remember a lot about The Room 2. Maybe that's telling.

But yeah, very satisfied with The Room 3's multi-room puzzle approach. It ratchets up the complexity when compared to the original by letting you explore, yet it's still a small enough world to have plenty of "ah-ha, I know what that's for!" moments when you pick up a new item.

Just finished the game today. Much longer than the previous games which i really appreciate. I beat the game and the entire time I had a bunch of items that I could never figure out how to use, and puzzles that I knew were there but I couldn't solve. For example:

The genie machine or whatever it is with the fortune teller inside the machine. It looked like part of the machine was removable at the bottom, there was a rectangle carved into it, but I couldn't open it. Nor could I figure out how to make the machine activate so the fortune teller would do something.

The music box and alarm clock thing with the number 1759 in that same room, couldn't figure out how to do anything with either one

The desk had a locked drawer, when I opened it nothing was there. WTF? And I couldn't open the cabinet below it either.

The theater that you can enter by going through the lens had an empty wax cylinder, never figured out where it goes.

There's a phone that I couldn't dial because it was locked. Next to the phone was a record player that I couldn't get to do anything

In the room with the safe there were 2 objects attached to the rail in that room. Couldn't figure out how to interact with them.

In the room with the safe I couldn't open the safe.

In the room where you can transmogrify objects into different geometrical shapes, there was a wheel with a purple crystal on it. There were slots for 3 crystals, and I managed to get 2 of them, but I couldn't find the third one.

In the same room, there was a tree that that is kind of hard to see, when you double click it it brings you close and shows what looks like 3 dials, but I couldn't interact with them.

In the room where you start, it's suggested that you can interact with the gate behind you, but I couldn't ever do anything with it.

In the very last room of the game, 2 pedestals spawn immediately before you go through the door to end the game. couldn't do anything with them

Does all of this stuff come from alternate endings, or did I miss some stuff? (Don't spoil it for me, just wondering if I missed something)

Gorger

Does anyone know why they aren't releasing the sequels on steam? The first one got overwhelmingly good reviews and became a huge hit, but I haven't seen or heard anything from the franchise since.

Chopper

Just finished the game today. Much longer than the previous games which i really appreciate. I beat the game and the entire time I had a bunch of items that I could never figure out how to use, and puzzles that I knew were there but I couldn't solve. For example:

The genie machine or whatever it is with the fortune teller inside the machine. It looked like part of the machine was removable at the bottom, there was a rectangle carved into it, but I couldn't open it. Nor could I figure out how to make the machine activate so the fortune teller would do something.

The music box and alarm clock thing with the number 1759 in that same room, couldn't figure out how to do anything with either one

The desk had a locked drawer, when I opened it nothing was there. WTF? And I couldn't open the cabinet below it either.

The theater that you can enter by going through the lens had an empty wax cylinder, never figured out where it goes.

There's a phone that I couldn't dial because it was locked. Next to the phone was a record player that I couldn't get to do anything

In the room with the safe there were 2 objects attached to the rail in that room. Couldn't figure out how to interact with them.

In the room with the safe I couldn't open the safe.

In the room where you can transmogrify objects into different geometrical shapes, there was a wheel with a purple crystal on it. There were slots for 3 crystals, and I managed to get 2 of them, but I couldn't find the third one.

In the same room, there was a tree that that is kind of hard to see, when you double click it it brings you close and shows what looks like 3 dials, but I couldn't interact with them.

In the room where you start, it's suggested that you can interact with the gate behind you, but I couldn't ever do anything with it.

In the very last room of the game, 2 pedestals spawn immediately before you go through the door to end the game. couldn't do anything with them

Does all of this stuff come from alternate endings, or did I miss some stuff? (Don't spoil it for me, just wondering if I missed something)
Everything you mentioned can be used. For a start, perhaps have another look at
that empty drawer

Sulik2

I just finished the Room 3, this might be my favorite adventure game since the Curse of Monkey Island. The puzzles are brilliant, but the strides forward in story telling are fantastic. It's sad this OT is still on page 1 cause this game should be a legit GOTY contender.

Is there a wiki or forum for the lore? I couldn't find one.

Top Bottom