• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops 3 biggest entertainment launch of 2015, earns over $550 million in 3 days.

Hip Hop

Three-Day Opening Weekend over $550 Million in Worldwide Sales;
Is the Biggest Entertainment Launch of 2015, beating Jurassic World

Highest Per Player Engagement Ever Recorded for Call of Duty;
More than 75 Million Hours Online Over Three Days

Digital Sales Nearly Double Over Last Year;
Retail Sales up Significantly Over Last Two Years

“Call of Duty’s millions of passionate fans have shown us, yet again, the strength of their commitment to this enduring franchise,” said Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard’s Chief Executive Officer. “Call of Duty: Black Ops III is the biggest entertainment launch this year in any medium, and bigger than any theatrical opening weekend ever.”

“The Call of Duty: Black Ops III launch is bigger than any game, any movie, or any entertainment launch this year. But more importantly, our fans are engaging more deeply with the franchise than ever before. In fact, so far, people are playing Black Ops III for more hours per player than any Call of Duty game on record,” said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. “Call of Duty is more than a game, it’s a year round passion for a growing base of millions of fans and it’s only gaining momentum.”

“As we‘ve said from the start, PlayStation is the best place to play Call of Duty, and this record-breaking launch shows how true this statement is. Black Ops III is the biggest launch of the year so far, and the PlayStation Nation is ready. We’re proud to call PlayStation the home of Call of Duty and look forward to supporting our community with DLC map pack content first,” said Adam Boyes, VP of Publisher and Developer Relations, Sony Computer Entertainment America.

On PlayStation®4, Black Ops III set a new record as the best-selling digital full game by units sold in its first day of availability in PS4™ history.
During the three-day opening, worldwide sales rose significantly over the previous two years, including setting a new franchise mark, as digital downloads of the game across next generation consoles rose nearly 100% from a year ago.

Black Ops III established new marks in viewership as the No. 1 most streamed and most viewed game of any game launch in 2015, as reported by Twitch."

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=942102

Bishop89

cross-posting from the other thread.

How does this compare to previous cods, particularly mw2?
THe hype for that game was insane.

13948830281394.jpg

Not sure if I'm gonna get this one though as I didn't hear good things about the SP but I guess good for them? This train certainly ain't stopping anytime soon.

eFKac

I remember previous CoDs press releases mentioning billions? What timeframe was that?

Acti shoutouts to PSN lately, would be nice to have some numbers.

Carl

Haven't bought a COD game in 7 years (World at War) and i'm tempted to get this one, so i guess well done to them

First CoD since Modern Warfare 2 and having a lot of fun with the MP. Campaign is kinda mediocre though. Don't buy it just for that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Even Japan knows the black ops series is where its at, the last COD to hit good numbers was BO2

Jumeira

Banned
Great numbers, but short of other COD games I believe. Well done Activision. 6/7 months until they announce the new one I guess.

Too lazy to translate:

CTiQzg0XAAACm-B.jpg:large

Milliard = billion.
Jours = days.
Heures = hours.

MW2, BO1 and MW3 = UK+US only.
The followers = worldwide.
Ghosts was 1 billion day one, but that was sell-in.
No numbers for AW.

timlot

Banned
“As we‘ve said from the start, PlayStation is the best place to play Call of Duty, and this record-breaking launch shows how true this statement is. Black Ops III is the biggest launch of the year so far, and the PlayStation Nation is ready. We’re proud to call PlayStation the home of Call of Duty and look forward to supporting our community with DLC map pack content first,” said Adam Boyes, VP of Publisher and Developer Relations, Sony Computer Entertainment America.

41NX5CAFF6L.jpg

Kallor

Blops 2 did $500m in 1 day

Top five highest grossing video games over five days
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 ($775m)
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops ($650m)
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 ($550m)

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/nov/18/modern-warfare-2-records-775m

Destiny did $325m over 5 days
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Destiny-Grosses-325-Million-Consumer-Sales-Within-5-Days-67359.html

So not bad numbers, players return every year despite the weaker CoDs.

GTAV did a billion in three days

Tizoc

I'm only ever getting the PS4 ver. if my brother is willing to play it with me co-op, otherwise I should get around to finishing Advanced Warfare on Steam :p

MrDaravon

Well given this line

On PlayStation®4, Black Ops III set a new record as the best-selling digital full game by units sold in its first day of availability in PS4™ history.

That implies to me that digitally it may not have outsold Taken King since that was technically an add-on/DLC. Other than that not a whole lot to go on here; they specify the numbers are both retail and digital selll-through which is good. They don't mention hardware anywhere, you could maybe make a case for retail sell-through including the PS4 bundle, but I can't imagine that bundle was THAT hot?

RulkezX

First time in a couple of years I've ben excited for a CoD. Have really enjoyed what I've played so far, no regrets at all.

liquidtmd

Banned
Despite some reservations about connection based matchmaking over skill based, it's a fun game and I'm enjoying it a fair old bit.

Between this and Battlefront, I'm set till SFV in Feb

OSHAN

I'm enjoying Blops 3. There is something about the MP that doesn't make me feel pissed off 99% of the time, even when I'm doing poorly.

Top Bottom