• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does it seem like Japan has a lot of outdoor cats but not a feral problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There are a lot of cats in Japan that live outside, but I never hear about feral or overpopulation problems. In America cats in the wild become feral and reproduce like crazy.

Are these simply just people's cats sleeping around the neighborhood? Are all the cats sent to Cat Island?

tumblr_lwce3vs0z81qckxt5o1_500.jpg

ayHoysg.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i have no idea but i want to go to japan and find out. i love cats and it would be great to see them while out and about just chilling.

entremet

There are a lot of cats in Japan that live outside, but I never hear about feral or overpopulation problems. In America cats in the wild become feral and reproduce like crazy.

Are these simply just people's cats sleeping around the neighborhood? Are all the cats sent to Cat Island?

tumblr_lwce3vs0z81qckxt5o1_500.jpg

ayHoysg.jpg

Look at population density and size of both countries. It's night and day.

Dazza

Maybe they spay and neuter them?

Yeah I'd guess it would be this. Japanese governmental process have a heck of a lot of bureaucracy and red tape to get through, but once they get started they're quite willing to put the manpower and resources to do a job thoroughly.

Everything in Japan is polite and careful about etiquette.

Even the cats don't want to have sex in Japan.

I like these replies :)

Oare

I guess the limited food supply helps maintain populations to decentish levels?
Most of the landlords require you to take out trash at very specific times, in the early morning, before it's collected. And people actually comply.
Landlords who don't (they're in the minority) have anti-cat measures, such as nets, to prevent cats (and crows) from ripping garbage bags open and feed.

During the mating season, however, cats can be extremely loud.
But then again, noise isn't considered a serious nuisance by many people in Japan.

Edit: as a side note, if you ever drive in Japan, you will definitely see your fair share of roadkills pretty much everyday.

M3d10n

I guess the limited food supply helps maintain populations to decentish levels?
Most of the landlords require you to take out trash at very specific times, in the early morning, before it's collected. And people actually comply.
Landlords who don't (they're in the minority) have anti-cat measures, such as nets, to prevent cats (and crows) from ripping garbage bags open and feed.

During the mating season, however, cats can be extremely loud.
But then again, noise isn't considered a serious nuisance by many people in Japan.

Edit: as a side note, if you ever drive in Japan, you will definitely see your fair share of roadkills pretty much everyday.

I think the same. Maybe they can't thrive as much by going feral as they do in other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom