• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Star Wars Battlefront review.

Boof

Yes, his character can annoy some people, but he gets gaming and he hits the issues spot on. Good review.

Watched the whole video, I absolutely agree with every point he made. It really hurts how they got some things right, like the incredible graphics, only to fail spectacularly with the rest. This is a game from DICE. They invented Battlefield. How can they screw this up. Ugh.

antitrop

Joe gets it right more often than not. He gets it right here, too.

That Season Pass is a fucking insult and the base gameplay isn't even close to interesting enough to get me to pay the price of another full game to get more of it.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I put some time into it, and even with friends and all the modes. It really does feel like half a game. This is not even asking for a SP mode either.
Really hope with BF2 they listen to the complaints and make something more akin to the older games.

-MD-

He found 40 minutes of stuff to talk about in Battlefront?

Edit: Review seems on point though, beta felt like a 5/10 game at best.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wish joe did more reviews like he used to do. It seems like they are rarer and rarer

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think it's fair to say they were lazy or didn't "give a shit" about the single player campaign.

kewlmyc

Agree with Joe's and Jeremy Jahn's viewpoint on this game. That DLC price for what you get in the base game is bullshit.

"Commander, I've been searching high and low.. and there's still no sign of a campaign mode."
"Damn."

giphy.gif

I don't think it's fair to say they were lazy or didn't "give a shit" about the single player campaign.
Yeah, I get that his shtick is being angry, but he could at least not use idiotic fake arguments like that "lazy devs" bullshit.

I love 90% of the game. I wish that there were more maps for the 20v20 modes, no unlocks at all, and private matches but everything else is fantastic. I love the gunplay, I love the simplicity, I love the lack of weapon customization, I really love playing the game for the gameplay. It's great. And christ, being insulted over a season pass is childish. If anyone bothered to learn about DICE's previous games you'd know that this was normal and that their season passes are always worth it. I'm not afraid to say that I bought it already.

Also, still complaining about no campaign? Get over it. Everyone clamored for DICE to not bother with a campaign in Battlefield and when they finally don't do one they get slaughtered for it.

XAL

Well at least it's not like his Halo 5 review where he played it on 4 player co-op on normal and complained about the length saying it was <4 hours or some horseshit.

He has good points from time to time, but really it always feels like he plays the game just barely enough to make a handful of rants and throw it together with some cringefest roleplaying skits and voila: a review.

Score is fair.

I'm sure the developers would have wanted the game to be meatier, decisions like this probably came from producers or the publisher.

Well at least it's not like his Halo 5 review where he played it on 4 player co-op on normal and complained about the length saying it was <4 hours or some horseshit.

He has good points from time to time, but really it always feels like he plays the game just barely enough to make a handful of rants and throw it together with some cringefest roleplaying skits and voila: a review.

That's odd, it shouldn't take more than a few hours to reach rank 10.

Zabuza

Banned
Yeah, I get that his shtick is being angry, but he could at least not use idiotic fake arguments like that "lazy devs" bullshit.

I love 90% of the game. I wish that there were more maps for the 20v20 modes, no unlocks at all, and private matches but everything else is fantastic. I love the gunplay, I love the simplicity, I love the lack of weapon customization, I really love playing the game for the gameplay. It's great. And christ, being insulted over a season pass is childish. If anyone bothered to learn about DICE's previous games you'd know that this was normal and that their season passes are always worth it. I'm not afraid to say that I bought it already.

A lot of people agree that the gameplay loses appeal quickly and the game is content-starved. His review clearly addresses how these two criticisms are accurate.

This doesn't mean some people won't enjoy it a lot.

Kalentan

Honest "Lazy Devs" is such a fucking insult. If people actually think DICE were being lazy with Battlefront are crazy. The amount of effort that has gone into it, the insane visual quality matched with top tier performance is great.

Nokterian

A lot of people agree that the gameplay loses appeal quickly and the game is content-starved. His review clearly addresses how these two criticisms are accurate.

This doesn't mean some people won't enjoy it a lot.

And comparing something to battlefield is kinda hilarious.

James93

Its another example of EA destroying a game. It was rushed thats pretty clear. This time dice decided to polish instead of release a broken mess like bf4 was.

I don't agree with the "lazy dev" comment part of the review either. It's easy to call some one lazy when you have 0 knowledge of the process involved eg; coding, graphics design, corporate deadline etc.

XAL

Honest "Lazy Devs" is such a fucking insult. If people actually think DICE were being lazy with Battlefront are crazy. The amount of effort that has gone into it, the issue visual quality matches with top tier performance is great.

Honestly, it's a fucking gorgeous game. One of the best.

Easily best looking forest in a game.

It's a casually geared shooter with enough depth for more hardcore folk to sit back and do some stress free blasting.

It just needs more maps/map locations and gametypes (perhaps some smaller team size focused games).

213372bu

Banned
Great review.

I've been playing a lot since my purchase Friday morning and I agree with everything. Usually shooters have some level of tedium and strategy, and the lack of it is very apparent in the gameplay. Especially considering the previous titles in the series.

The card system is horribly imbalanced and also leads to blocking off a majority of players from using effective cards in certain modes like Supremacy. Lack of squad mode and VOIP makes some modes critically fail.

Also Hero vs Villians becomes a joke with Villains, who have the best jump verticality, like on certain maps just holing up on certain maps only accessible by Luke and the occasional Jetpacker who is able to Skyrim their way up parts of the map.

All in all, I like the game because the visuals, sound, and design are done absolutely perfectly, and if you just want some fun being immersed in the worlds, it does its job more than perfectly.

But as a game and shooter, it suffers highly from key parts that make or break shooters.

Eggbok

Slightly off topic but I really hope Sony can get Battlefront 2 as one of the PS2 games on PS4, I would be so happy.

Zabuza

Banned
Honestly because there is no campaign mode, and the survival mode is boring/basic as all hell, there should be some major content for the MP mode. At least double maps, far more character customization, fully realized class system, double weapons+more variety, lots of weapon/vehicle customization, etc. Then it would be worth $60 imo.

If the season pass only adds new maps then meh, the problems will still be there.

Frozone

I like it -- from what I've played so far. Training mode is a blast to try and get all the stars in it.

Jawmuncher

You can really tell that the Development time was rushed due to the lack of content. At least the product wasn't a buggy/glitchy mes.

I do wish there was more but what is there is fun and I will keep coming back to it. I think its an excellent game that is short on content. But you can't argue that they didn't have attention to detail in all the visuals and sound. And the movement and shooting does feel satisfying.

Kalentan

I'd like to see EA/DICE respond to a lot of these valid criticisms. It has a good foundation but the price to value ratio is all hella wrong.

But what determines price ratio? Content vs budget? I know people WANT it to be cheaper, but that might mean selling it at a loss. Because while Battlefront could have used more maps, it's clear the budget wasn't small.

I generally skip around these videos (40 mins a biiiit too long for me), and I still thought he talked for way too long about the lack of single player, and generally, a lack of things. Yes, it would be cool to get that. Yes, they probably should've done it, but "should've" and "could've" based criticisms get old quick, to the point where it feels more like a recounting of you setting bad expectations than a critique.

Top Bottom