• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nuclear Throne live on PSN, $11.99

epmode

Easily one of the best roguelites I've ever played. I love it to death.

The only downside is that the game runs at 30 FPS, probably due to Vlambeer having trouble with Game Maker.

It is one of my favorite games I've played this year (I've played it extensively on Steam). Super addictive; it is like Hotline Miami with insane weapons.

autoduelist

Didn't realize this was Vambleer. Was planning on waiting for some more feedback... but I think I'll just go buy this.

Do you have low health?

Most characters (there are multiple characters, each with unique skills and traits) have 8 HP. One character starts with 10 HP, another with only 2 HP. Usually one bullet from a standard enemy in the first stage takes off 3 HP.

There are mutations (perks) you unlock when leveling up, some of which can increase your HP by 4, or randomly regen HP upon enemy kills. These perks last for as long as you are alive; when you die, it's game over (much like Spelunky).

Here's my impression from playing the beta in January: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970040&highlight=

PROTIP: New players should play with Crystal. He starts with 10HP and his special skill is to reflect enemy bullets while remaining stationary for a few seconds. Also, if you skip collecting red chests from 1-1, and 1-2, you have a chance of getting a bigger chest in 1-3, filled with better weapons.

What is the structure of the game like? Can you finish? Are there goals?

There are 7 levels, most of which have multiple stages (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc). You get to the end, but you have to do it without dying. Basically, you are thrown into a randomly generated stage, and your goal is to kill everything that moves. Once you complete that, a portal opens up and whisks you to the next stage. Some stages have a boss that you need to defeat (first boss is in 1-3). There are also some hidden stages and other secrets.

The wiki explains a lot of things: http://nuclear-throne.wikia.com/wiki/Nuclear_Throne_Wiki

Hupsel

You finish and win after reaching the Nuclear Throne and killing the final boss there. Levels are randomly generated, but every 3 levels or so theres a new scenery with new enemies and a boss fight at the end. You usually unlock new chars every few levels or so. There's coop too but I haven't tested it.

You finish and win after reaching the Nuclear Throne and killing the final boss there. Levels are randomly generated, but every 3 levels or so theres a new scenery with new enemies and a boss fight at the end. You usually unlock new chars every few levels or so. There's coop too but I haven't tested it.

There's forever alone co-op on the PC version, where you control 2 characters at once. Dunno if that made it to PSN version.

epmode

Yeah is it endess with random levels?

The levels are procedural which I suppose you'd call random. You'd be doing the game design a disservice, however. The map generator is good and it works incredibly well with the game's enemies, weapons and skills.

There is a set path through the game with distinct levels and a last boss. But you're able to continue playing afterwards.

There are a TON of secrets and fun little mechanics. It's easily the best game Vlambeer has produced.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Easily one of the best roguelites I've ever played. I love it to death.

The only downside is that the game runs at 30 FPS, probably due to Vlambeer having trouble with Game Maker.

Eh, my Game Maker game runs at 60fps and I'm not having any problems here. :p

Been waiting for this, can't wait to dig in with my Vita.

epmode

Eh, my Game Maker game runs at 60fps and I'm not having any problems here. :p

Haha, I didn't say it wasn't possible! I suppose Vlambeer didn't consider it a priority and Game Maker makes it tough to switch framerates unless you account for it at the start of the project.

YOU KNOW ALL OF THIS ALREADY, I'M SURE

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Haha, I didn't say it wasn't possible! I suppose Vlambeer didn't consider it a priority and Game Maker makes it tough to switch framerates unless you account for it at the start of the project.

YOU KNOW ALL OF THIS ALREADY, I'M SURE

bwahaha XD

Yeah it's definitely difficult if not nearly impossible to up the framerate if you didn't start at a specific target for GM. So I don't blame them in the slightest for 30fps.

Kensuke

There are 7 levels, most of which have multiple stages (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc). You get to the end, but you have to do it without dying. Basically, you are thrown into a randomly generated stage, and your goal is to kill everything that moves. Once you complete that, a portal opens up and whisks you to the next stage. Some stages have a boss that you need to defeat (first boss is in 1-3). There are also some hidden stages and other secrets.

The wiki explains a lot of things: http://nuclear-throne.wikia.com/wiki/Nuclear_Throne_Wiki

Thanks for the explanation. I'll consider a purchase. :)

It is not as smooth as I want it to be, and R2 for shooting on PS4 just doesn't work for this game (and will wreck your DS4), but the Vita version is excellent and shoulder buttons for shooting on Vita is fine.

I thought it wasn't crossbuy after I bought it, same with BIT.TRIP collection. Had to check the webstore history to see that I did unlock the PS4 platform too. Picked both of those up and FF7, even though I'm up to my eyeballs in stuff to play (the goggles do nothing).

Going to be a great PS+ game in 6 months!

Is this what you registered for?

bender

What time is it?
Framerate issues? Or screen shake? There's an option to increase/decrease screen shake that occurs when firing your weapons.

Maybe I'm just imaging but it seems like the music stutters. Also getting some errors/pauses when dying and go back to the menus (maybe it's trying to communicate with a server for leader board info?).

Is this a game that feels better on a controller, or is keyboard+mouse the better experience? Not sure whether to buy for OS X or the PS4. Sci-fi roguelike has my interest; there aren't enough of those.

Maybe I'm just imaging but it seems like the music stutters. Also getting some errors/pauses when dying and go back to the menus (maybe it's trying to communicate with a server for leader board info?).

Someone posted earlier that they had similar issues with the menus; hopefully the devs can patch this soon.

Is this a game that feels better on a controller, or is keyboard+mouse the better experience? Not sure whether to buy for OS X or the PS4. Sci-fi roguelike has my interest; there aren't enough of those.

I've been playing it with Kb+M for about 30 hours on PC, and haven't tried a controller yet. I'd say if you played Hotline Miami with a Dualshock 4 and enjoyed it, then Nuclear Throne should be fine. Also, the theme isn't sci-fi like Mass Effect sci-fi; think post apocalyptic wasteland with mutated creatures. There is an intergalactic police force that will go after you if you do a certain thing in the game.

Sold! Downloading on vita now!

Enjoy! Unlike the puzzle-like aspects of Hotline Miami (planning out how to take out guys in the next room), you just go in and shoot shoot dodge shoot. Still a ton of fun for me.

Enjoy the scorpions in the beginning :p

Is there friendly fire in co-op?

I don't see an option for friendly fire in the Steam version, so I assume not. However, Explosive weapons can hurt you (don't fire grenade launchers into the wall next to you!), as can the buzzsaws from the disc guns. The latter bounce around and can kill you if you fire and stop paying attention to them.

Top Bottom