• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of PS4's JRPG library (including upcoming titles)?

Square Enix
FF-Type 0 HD
FFX/FFX-2 HD
FF12 HD
FFXIV:ARR
FFXV
FF7R
World of FF
Setsuna
Nier Automata
KH 2.8
KH3
DQH
DQB
DQX
DQ11
Star Ocean 5
Star Ocean Second Evolution

Bandai Namco
Tales of Zestiria
Tales of Berseria
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
Sword Art Online: Lost Song
Sword Art Online : Hollow Realization
Digimon: Cyber Sleuth
Summon Night 6: Lost Borders

Capcom
Dragons Dogma Online
Deep Down (lol)

From Software
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3

SEGA/Atlus
Valkyria Chronicles HD
Valkyria Azure Revolution
Persona 5

Level 5
Ni No Kuni II

NIS
Disgaea 5
The Witch And The Hundred Knights Revival

Compile Heart
Omega Quintet
Fairy Fencer: Advent Dark Force
Hyperdimension Neptunia VII

Falcom
Ys 8

Gust
Yoru no Nai Kuni
Atelier Sophie

Vanillaware
13 sentinels Aegis Rim
Odin Sphere

Kadokawa
Natural Doctrine
God Wars

Spike Chunsoft
Exist Archive
Grand Kingdom

Aquaplus
Utawarerumono: False Mask

Kobojo
Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey

PS2 Classics
Dark Cloud
Rogue Legacy
Arc the Lad

I think the first thing that stands out is how much SE has contributed to the library, an immense turn around from the PS3 days. Beloved Tri-Ace also seems to be alive. Looking at the list entirely, its already surpassed PS3's JRPG library in my opinion. There seems to be a lack of SRPGs and turn based RPGs for now but I am very impressed at the support. A lot of the franchises there that I would not have expected to come to the PS4 or even receive further iterations.

What are your thoughts? How does it compare to other libraries in a similar time frame? Did it meet your expectations? Are there gaps that need to be filled for the library to be noteworthy? Is the developer support sufficient and is the quality there?

EDIT: Made some corrections. I also forgot about the PS2 classics.

DNAbro

sogood.gif

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Looking pretty good now most of them just have to be good and if they are I pray that they sell enough to warrant sequels.

Rymuth

Makes me so happy, I wanna cry. The dark age that was the PS3 era is finally over.

Still need a sci-fi JRPG ala Xenosaga (speaking of which, where is Xenosaga HD, Verendus?) and maybe something set in modern times ala Parasite Eve (another Verendus hint, damn you, man)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
OP...why are you asking "what people think" when you started out with a list like that??

I mean, the answer should be obvious right?

It's pretty much the only option at this point, but it's pretty damned good. I'm satisfied. Maybe there are less than in years past, but I've got such a backlog, I hardly care.

¯|_(ツ)_|¯

Famassu

Insane.

And I'm insanely happy about it. Kind of feels like PS1 & PS2 generation again, or something pretty close to it. Hopefully they find success because if not, then that might be it for console JRPGs, apart from a few exceptions.

desmax

Pretty damn good for me so far.

There's Hundred Knight 2 from NIS too, and SAO: Hollow Realization from Namco

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I feel like an old man when I look at that list and see FF7R on there and go "Wait...how is that a JRPG?"

Times have changed, man.

ReaperXL7

i guess i must ask, how many of those are getting localized

Outside of Dragons Dogma online it seems like the majority/all of them are coming.

I honestly don't have anything to complain about Sony/third parties have announced almost everything I would have asked for outside of a few games. 2016/17 are looking fantastic for fans of Japanese RPGs.

Now if only we could get Skies of Arcadia 2 and Suikoden I'd be through the roof but their parent companies were a mistake and are nothing but trash (though Sega is making some strides imo)

BlueDEF

Neo Member
I will wait for release or in Dragon's Dogma's release for the game to come in a playable state before saying anything. Kinda my problem with these announcements is most of these games seem really far down the line and it's kinda getting annoying.

I think it's quite strong, but I don't think I'll have the time for most of those games and will likely pass on everything but Kingdom Hearts III, FFVIIR and Final Fantasy XV.

I don't like From Software's games

Ryne

I think "finally".

This is what I want a PS4 for, the RPGs. I'm primarily a RPG player, and these types of games speak to my soul.

it's so good, I love it!

Ryker

It's starting to feel like the PS1/2 generations again, somewhat, and I'm loving it. I hope FFVII-R is able to propel us into another JRPG golden age like it did for the PS1, although the generation already has a great head start, so maybe that's not so important.

I'm absolutely ecstatic about having JRPG support on a major console again, of this magnitude. I've have turned to handhelds mostly for my JRPG fix, but I see myself spending so much time in front of the TV again, playing tons of fantastic jrpgs...like the old days!

The games that stick out the most to me on the list are Ni no Kuni 2 and Final Fantasy VII.
I was just thinking about Ni no Kuni yesterday, while playing Yokai Watch, thinking it'd be a virtual impossibility because Level-5 probably had their hands tied up with future YW iterations. What an amazing and unexpected surprise to wake up to this morning. And Final Fantasy VII, that trailer exceeded my expectations. Honorable mentions; Dragon Quest XI, Star Ocean 5, and Tales of Berseria, Project Setsuna, and Persona 5. Though, I'm practically getting everything on that list.

Anyways, It's an amazing time to be a JRPG gamer! It's nice to see some big budget affairs again, as well.

A lot happier then when I had a ps3. Only issue is the jrpg games are going to be a lot more spread out then previous years.

mejin

I believe what's amazing is that several games of this list wouldn't exist (at least not how we know it) if Playstation 4 wasn't market leader and had all this sucess.

Begaria

I am absolutely in love with that list. Cannot wait to play the majority of it. Feels like a new golden era of RPGs

Top Bottom