• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Fin reader allows piracy on Vita (Read OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this thing by the Cobra team, famous for their PS3 ODE solutions, managed to find a incredibly odd way of pirating games on the Vita. Basically, no protection is actually broken, rather, when you attempt to load a ROM dump from the included card reader, it has to authenticate with a real cartridge from a server being hosted from them or anyone else contributing their dumps. In essence, this means that

1. you have to be online to use it
2. anyone buying this better hope enough people contribute games to authenticate with
3. it's probably going to be niche as fuck

The thing comes with a device that accepts retail games which hosts the authentication licenses that then go through a server and get loaded into their software on your host. You then pick which game you have stored on your microsd card and hope someone is hosting a license for said game. Then the Vita will allow you to boot it up.

So, other than piracy, the only thing that's cool about this thing is you could in theory use a 128GB SD card and have all your retail Vita games on one card, but then again, the entire process of using this sorta makes that impossible. The website explains it better than I do. Remove if this isn't allowed (no roms here) http://cobra-blackfin.com/index.html

Well, if you *really* don't want to pay for video games, it's a thing.

(might be wise to get rid of the link before you eat a lock or a ban)

Syriel

If it indeed works as you say, then it may not actually be piracy.

From OP description, this sounds like they're basically facilitating license "loaning" (assuming that the original card cannot be used while its license is being hosted for others).

If that assumption is incorrect, then forget what I said. It's just straight up piracy in that case.

Kerned

Banned
If it indeed works as you say, then it may not actually be piracy.

From OP description, this sounds like they're basically facilitating license "loaning" (assuming that the original card cannot be used while its license is being hosted for others).

If that assumption is incorrect, then forget what I said. It's just straight up piracy in that case.
Well if "license loaning" is being used to play games without paying for them, and against the will of the publishers and platform holder, I think it's more than safe to call it piracy.

I'm not advocating piracy. I'm making people aware this thing exists is all, and just the fact it's incredibly odd how it works. If this thread isn't allowed that 3DS homebrew one or PSP homebrew one definitely shouldn't be :p

We'll have to see. I'm not any sort of authority on what flies and what doesn't.

Don't mind me if I am overreacting.

Aeana

Since the non-pirate use for this seems to basically be theoretical and impractical, we don't really need to discuss it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom