• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails

Davey Cakes

ScramKittyandhisBuddyonRails_logo_2.png

This game is F.U.N. Fun!

An absolute gem on the Wii U eShop. I believe it's available for 3DS, PS4, and Vita as well?

Somehow I actually stopped playing DKC:TF in order to play more of Scram Kitty. That's how addictive the gameplay is. It's really refreshing, like a platformer/shooter hybrid with fun weapons, changing mechanics in every sector of the spaceship, and a gravity/magnetism element that makes jumping around both a fun exercise and a functional method of strategic movement and level traversal. There's just about the perfect amount of everything.

My favorite area is probably the Engine Room. The weapon that works like a cyclone is a blast to use. I was a big fan of the music, too.

The soundtrack is damn solid, and fitting.

Maybe it's just me but the difficulty curve seems both natural and "all over the place." I actually don't mind this. But basically, there are areas where it seems like you become overpowered. The enemies don't stand a chance, especially against the flamethrower weapon. But, the levels are still tough in some ways, like if you want to collect/save all four "stranded cats." I can usually never get them all in a single run, unless the level is generous with health items. And, overall, the levels get tougher as you move from one sector of the ship to the next, from bottom to top.

There's a good amount of challenge interspersed throughout with moments where you can just feel like a platforming/shooting badass with nothing getting in your way. This makes the experience satisfying but somewhat uneven, I guess, but yet I can't pay much attention to the possible nitpicks when I'm having a damn great time playing the game. I also love how it's perfect in short bursts. Playing a single level and collecting all cats is enough goodness for an entire session. Honestly!

I bought it during the holiday eShop sale. $5 for this was an absolute bargain. Anyone else jump on board? What are your thoughts?

TheMoon

YEEEEEEESS!! hype!

Scram Kitty is awesomesauce :D

It gets the "feel" so right.

Max, where you at? :)

This game is F.U.N. Fun!

An absolute gem on the Wii U eShop. I believe it's available for 3DS, PS4, and Vita as well?

Not on 3DS, yes to the PlayStations.

It's a pretty damn good game. You have to change how you think to acclimate to the whole on rails system and once you do it's fun to try to master.

I got it on Wii U back when it first dropped. Totally recommended for fans of 2D action/shooter games. I just wish there were some crazy ass bosses.

Davey Cakes

I also love the aesthetics, backgrounds (some neat uses of depth), and coloring. Another reason why the Engine Room is a fave for me.

Davey Cakes

I hadn't beaten the game upon making this thread, but I just finished the Energy Core and saved all cats a little while ago.

The game just sort of ends, but I'm fine with that. Fun little mechanic for the last level to end it.

This game was a very concise experience. I appreciated that.

maxcriden

🙋 present!!

So glad you dug the game. Man it is really something special and under-appreciated. It's just plain fun and it has its own inimitable style and learning curve that feels ridiculously good to play!

Top Bottom