• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Do you have any white friends" someone please explain what's going in this video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDanger

Banned
So I just discovered this jimmy kimmel video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrR48pQTQhc

White people are asked if they have any black friends, but they also ask one black person if he has any white friends, his response:

"no white people are scary"

I was seriously shocked when I noticed everyone is laughing and acting like that was a totally ok answer. I don't live in the US, I don't know for sure how it is, but I'm almost certain it would be considered incredibly racist if one of the white people that were asked said:

"no black people are scary."

Everyone can be racist and it is actually racist to think minorities can't be in my opinion.

Can someone please tell me why this was ok for seemingly everyone in the audience?

pigeon

Banned
So I just discovered this jimmy kimmel video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrR48pQTQhc

White people are asked if they have any black friends, but they also ask one black person if he has any white friends, his response:

"no white people are scary"

I was seriously shocked when I noticed everyone is laughing and acting like that was a totally ok answer. I don't live in the US, I don't know for sure how it is, but I'm almost certain it would be considered incredibly racist if one of the white people that were asked said:

"no black people are scary."

Everyone can be racist and it is actually racist to think minorities can't be in my opinion.

Can someone please tell me why this was ok for seemingly everyone in the audience?

Because context is a thing?

I live in Austria there are really very few black people here, but yes I did have a black friend once, she moved away a couple of years ago.

OK, well you don't 'get it' and will likely never 'get it', but the guy was clearly joking as to come up with a reason why he doesn't have any white friends. Don't let it keep you up too late. Worse stuff has been said on TV.

televator

New world history. Modern day turmoil in America. It doesn't paint a pretty picture of the pigment impaired North Americans.

pigeon

Banned
You mean because the guy said it jokingly? So you're saying if a white person would say black people are kinda scary jokingly it wouldn't have been considered racist?

Nope! That's not what I meant at all. There is a difference between being a black person in America and being a white person in America.

Are you actually interested in understanding this? Because if you are you should probably just read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0802143008/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You mean because the guy said it jokingly? So you're saying if a white person would say black people are kinda scary jokingly it wouldn't have been considered racist?

No they meant historical context. I have a feeling you're not asking a genuine question here so I won't waste my time trying to educate you on why you're asking a ridiculous question.

daviyoung

Banned
have you seen white people? they're fucking petrifying!

scared-1.gif

dity

He didn't have any and came up with a funny reason as to why not. He was even chuckling.

If anything I think the white people lying are what you should probably be irked by. Not this.

I think the point of the joke was to reverse that racial joke on its head. The whole 'black people are scary' thing is a big notion.

I am fairly certain the man doesn't actually believe white people are scary.

Qblivion

Honestly? Because a major source of black people's suffering in America is white people, while white people have not been oppressed by black people.

Therefore it is ok for black people to make jokes about white people while it is much less ok for white people to make jokes about black people.

TheDanger

Banned
Honestly? Because a major source of black people's suffering in America is white people, while white people have not been oppressed by black people.

Therefore it is ok for black people to make jokes about white people while it is much less ok for white people to make jokes about black people.

so because some white people cause suffering for black people it is ok to generally make jokes about white people?

This just makes no sense to me.

so because some white people cause suffering for black people it is ok to generally make jokes about white people?

It makes no sense to you because you haven't seen damaging racism first hand apparently. I mean it's fine if you're confused but you could educate yourself and have a bit of empathy.

Moff

tell me honestly.
are you actually offended by what he said?
or do you just think the double standard is unfair?

because if you are not actually offended by him calling white people scary, then you have your answer right there.

It makes no sense to you because you haven't seen damaging racism first hand apparently. I mean it's fine if you're confused but you could educate yourself and have a bit of empathy.
That would require effort and wouldn't allow him to complain about the real oroblem in society today Anti-White racism.

So some white people do not make friends with black people. How do you think they accomplish this? By being friendly and just getting turned down by racist black people? Or do you think that perhaps their personal interactions with black people have a tone to them that signals they do not want to be friends with black people? And that unfriendly tone, would that make you feel comfortable or uncomfortable if you were on the receiving end?

TheDanger

Banned

Of course I did, here in Austria the majority of people is racist towards Turkish people, but among the non racists it would still be considered racist if a Turkish person made jokes about Austrians.

Two Words

How typical. Several white people are caught blatantly lying about having black friends. And of course, black guy who honestly answers doesn't have any white friends is the one the OP chastises. Why? Because he claims white people are scary. Has the OP ever considered that perhaps he grew up racially profiled by white people and has found it difficult to develop friendships with white people? Depending on where he grew up, it can be pretty common for black people to be treated as the outsiders. Such an experience would be appropriately labeled as "scary". But hey, keep punching down on the disenfranchised youngster.

Qblivion

"some" lol

Try literal hundreds of years of oppression. It has barely been over 50 years since racial segregation was outlawed in the US and in many ways people are still finding ways to get around that. It was pretty recently that a US state implemented a requirement that in order to vote you must have a valid government ID, then proceeded to close registration offices in areas that were mostly populated by black people.

Cerium

no matter what it's one hell of a double standard
Perpetuating the idea that black people are scary can and has actually led to black people dying. The same has never been true for white people in America. That's why one is funny and the other is offensive.

To seriously answer your question, it was funny because it upended a common stereotype. "Black people are scary," is a common thought bybwhite people in the US that leads too black people being followed in stores, shot by police for looking funny, or having the cops called on them for falling asleep on a park.

Guys, he said he lives in Austria. Take it easy on him lol. I'd imagine most Austrians don't have a huge grasp on the nature of race relations in the US.

Anyway, it's funny because comedy goes up but it doesn't go down. Poor people making fun of rich people is funny. Rich people making fun of poor people is mean-spirited. Similarly, black people making fun of white people is funny because black people don't really have the means of institutionally oppressing white people. White people making fun of black people is mean-spirited because, ya know, white privilege is a thing.

And OP, to give you a sense of things here, there was a high school in Mississippi (one of our states) that had segregated school dances until 2011. Four years ago!!!! While that is by no means the norm, the fact that it was happening anywhere in the country is crazy.

ISOM

The OP obviously found the deep dark secret of the US..Anti white racism. I can direct you to some storm frontish websites for more info if you want. We must uncover the truth!

TheDanger

Banned
"some" lol

Try literal hundreds of years of oppression. It has barely been over 50 years since racial segregation was outlawed in the US and in many ways people are still finding ways to get around that. It was pretty recently that a US state implemented a requirement that in order to vote you must have a valid government ID, then proceeded to close registration offices in areas that were mostly populated by black people.

What does the current white population have to do with crimes of dead white people?

Hatchtag

Banned
no matter what it's one hell of a double standard

it is a double standard. it is racist. but honestly, racism is kinda funny if it isn't problematic. like if black people got the same job opportunities, pay, police treatment, etc as black people, no one would care about white people making black jokes. it's why no one really cares about white people jokes, because anti-white racism is really not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom