• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront sold 12 Million Copies (according to Pachter)

Rymuth

In an article published by Fortune this week, they report Pachter’s findings that Star Wars Battlefront moved roughly six million copies in November, and six million in December. With an average retail sales price of $55, that would place revenue at around $660 million so far.

Edit: Added this bit about EA's estimates -

Earlier this month, Electronic Arts COO Peter Moore revealed that the publisher was still expecting Star Wars Battlefront to move 13 million copies by April 2016. According to Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, they’re just one million short of that target.

From Fortune article via Playstation Lifestyle

Turn me to the Dark Side, if old.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
CelebratedJubilantInganue.gif

geordiemp

I guess the publisher estimations where right, even though many posters mocked at the time I recall.

EA expected 13 million copies sold by March.. this is far better.

I remember many posters on GAF laughing at this estimate...crow served.

MMarston

I guess the publisher estimations where right, even though many posters mocked at the time I recall.

I'm one of them and I'm gonna admit - especially with the fact that I bought it on sale - I deserve to eat some shit.

Gator86

Expected. Star Wars is an unstoppable juggernaut and the game looks and sounds amazing. Congrats to EA on their money. Hope the inevitable follow-up is actually good.

AmuroChan

With this selling so well, I wonder if this doesn't bode well for the next Battlefront game having a proper single-player campaign.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That's pretty cool if it managed it. Maybe those 25% off sales helped significantly when the movie released.

Woorloog

Banned
With this selling so well, I wonder if this doesn't bode well for the next Battlefront game having a proper single-player campaign.

I would imagine they will keep SW single player and multiplayer games separate, probably.
Battlefront doesn't need a campaign, most certainly not by DICE.

A SW solo FPS is welcome though.

I rented this game for free from Redbox. I feel like I got everything I wanted out of it in the 24 hours I had it in my possession. Pretty crazy that something so bare bones sold so well. Goes to show that the Star Wars brand, and good marketing can go a long way.

Is anyone really surprised? It's paired with what's on pace with the highest grossing movie of all time. This game would have to be ET level bad to not be successful and seeing that they had more than five weeks to make it we knew it wouldn't.

MMarston

Considering the campaigns of BF3 and 4, it's a waste of time and effort anyway.

If they managed to get Bad Company levels of decent campaign, then I'd be down.

MUnited83

For you.
While I was optimistic that it would easily reach that back it released, I kinda doubt its that high considering the online activity being a bit underwhelming.

Woorloog

Banned
I rented this game for free from Redbox. I feel like I got everything I wanted out of it in the 24 hours I had it in my possession. Pretty crazy that something so bare bones sold so well. Goes to show that the Star Wars brand, and good marketing can go a long way.

Barebones? Aside from the low map count, it has the right amount of content. There's no useless filler or padding.

Hoje0308

Banned
So basically the game isn't going to hit the $20 price point that I will jump in at anytime soon. Oh well, summer game it is.

wrowa

Do we have NPD estimates for November?

Edit: Roughly 2 million with bundles apparently (digital excluded). I can't imagine that it sold 3.5 - 4 million outside of the US, but Pachter might be referring to shipments.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I think it could go either way. The Star Wars license + nostalgia for Battlefront itself went a long way to selling this game.

Can see them adding in a campaign along the lines of a BF3/4 because that will be a really nice back of the box bullet point to selling a new Battlefront 2 years from now.

geordiemp

I'm one of them and I'm gonna admit - especially with the fact that I bought it on sale - I deserve to eat some shit.

Thats a brave admission.

I bought it but not played it, I kind of agree its a bit shallow, but my 12 year old son likes it just for the fun of heroes vs villians and shouting when princess kills the emperor - I can see why it sold bucket loads

Ryng_tolu

Banned
according to Pachter? Humm...

Anyway, official numbers:

USA: 2.10m
UK: 885k
France: 140k
Germany > 100k (PS4 alone)
Japan: 200k

USA is November only including bundle but not digital
UK is for the week ending 26 December, including bundle but not digital
France is only first week, no bundle and not digital
Germany is by end of November, should include both bundle and digital but i'm not 100% sure.
Japan is lifetime including bundle and digital

Are these numbers based on real data or are they just justifying those estimates with "Hey it is Star Wars!!" and "EA expects the same!"? Because I have a hard time believing that when looking at player count and the desperate price reduction.

firelogic

If you could not fight as luke against darth vader, the characters and setting, nobody would of cared,

So if you took out the most important parts of the game no one would have cared. That's like saying if you didn't play as Nathan Drake and you took out all the franchise characters and instead of going to typical Uncharted locales, you were stuck inside a building, no one would have bought Uncharted games. You're right.

MMarston

Gemüsepizza;191044878 said:
Are these numbers based on real data or are they just justifying those estimates with "Hey it is Star Wars!!" and "EA expects the same!"? Because I have a hard time believing that when looking at player count and the desperate price reduction.

???

RedAssedApe

Banned
Gemüsepizza;191044878 said:

What "desperate" price reduction? You mean the one almost every aaa title had during holiday sales? Even call of duty.

"Eat crow"

I didn't comment on the sales because I assumed it'd sell like gangbusters regardless, but you guys should wait until we get a real total. This sounds like Pacther talk, which means it probably sold less.

hydruxo

Gemüsepizza;191045058 said:
What? EA reduced the price to $40 a few weeks after release.

Also wouldn't EA immediately give out a press release for reaching numbers that high?

It's almost as if there's not this huge holiday a few weeks after Battlefront came out where there's tons of sales going on...

Top Bottom