• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ride to Hell: Retribution

Hektor

It truly was an unique and emtional ride.

The journey began for Jake after he got back from Vietnam and his little Brother Mikey is killed by an enemy biker gang.

And the journey ended for me today, after 9 hours of total playtime. I'm shaking and bibbering as i write this, never had a game impacted me more than this.

Seeing Jake losing everything and fighting for Retribution tore my heart apart. Never have i seen such a real, visceral character in a videogame.

p3uRt9H.jpg

Do you see the Anger in his eyes? The sadness? The loss? How can you not think of helping this broken man? A Character we can all identifiy ourselves with.

But i don't want to spoil this amazing experience for you, so i won't talk about the earthshattering twists from the second half, that will change your life forever.

Let's talk about the gameplay. Following Jakes journey we get to experience a lot of what it means to be a biker.

We fight, using a deep and enthralling combat system, we ride our bike feeling the air in our face and we shoot our gun with visceral, real, and disturbing violence. Everytime we fight, we don't fight for Jakes surival as he lost his soul to the rivers of styx a long time ago in Vietnam, we fight for something more important. For Jakes Retribution.

But the most stunning segments of them all are the emotional bossfights.
The title Ride to Hell is to be taken literally, as we often come to venture deep into Jakes own, troubled mind, not fighting our enemys, but our own fears, traumas and desires in very disturbing bossfights that even minds like Hidetaka Miyazaki draw inspiration from.

An astonishing achievement.

But this is not the only beautiful thing to see in this Magnum Opus.
The design of the game, the lightning and the colors blend together so well, every single frame a painting.

What a heartless beast you must be, to not be in awe in the sight of such beauty.

I could go on and on, praising this masterpiece for many things more, its mature depiction of sexuality for example, but i won't. I rather urge you to experience this masterpiece for yourself.

The developers sacrificed everything for this experience and it's and was worth every single minute and penny.

Do yourself a favor and try it. You won't regret. I promise. Jake promises.

McDougles

You could feel how terrible the game was through the Two Best Friends Play LP. That's more than enough for me.

Soooo baddddd.

DrArchon

You could feel how terrible the game was through the Two Best Friends Play LP. That's more than enough for me.

Soooo baddddd.

This. I was in awe for that entire LP. Every episode a roller coaster of emotions. "There's no way this could get any wor-OH MY GOD IT GOT WORSE!"

I love how this was clearly supposed to be a big open world game and then shit hit the fan and so now it's just full of big open areas full of fuck all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That Rival Sons title track, though, hands down best thing this game has going for it. Great fun playing it, even if it's a piece of shit. You're continually flabbergasted about what's around the next corner. I love it.

Top Bottom