• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins (US) Thread (Special Guest Jeremy Parish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
B000FG65F8.01-AIGI2YLZJE0LN._AA220_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60693887_.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________

GAME INFO
___________________________________________________________________________________

Release Date - August 29, 2006
Price - $39.99 (Amazon - buy GAFazon)
Publisher - Capcom USA
Website - Link

LIVE FROM SAN FRANCISCO, IT'S JEREMY PARISH

We're very lucky today, as Jeremy Parish has arrived for the party to field some questions. I'd like you to all give him a warm welcome and round of applause.

[applause]

TheMayor.jpg

"Quite a crowd we have tonight. I know you're a BIG fan of this game, Jeremy. Why don't you share with us some of your thoughts on this product?"

lolqueer8md.gif

"Here is a heart-warming anecdote for you to enjoy this fine Wednesday: my retro column for this month's OPM extolled the virtues of 2.5D gaming and included a sentence talking about how Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins is such a great example of the type."

TheMayor.jpg

"That sounds quite positive. It's nice to see such classic gaming franchises revived. Now there's been some talk about, I don't know, magazine reviews and their importance in how a game sells. Some lad got a hold of a marker and went posting negative UG&G scores all over the internet. Would you tell us 1up's stance on this issue?"

lolqueer8md.gif

"Sadly, it's true: we're sell-outs at 1UP -- always willing to slam an advertiser's product across all our magazines and websites."

TheMayor.jpg

"What would you say to people that suggest this game is just for nostalgia freaks? That Capcom wasn't being progressive when they made UG&G?

lolqueer8md.gif

"Well, stick to your guns, UG'n'G fans. If you believe in its quality hard enough a magical fairy godmother will turn you into a hardcore gamer - like me. I'd also like to reccomend another games that doesn't completely suck. Like Deep Labyrinth."

TheMayor.jpg

"Very enlightening. One last question - what do you say to users who think you may be biased in favour of Sony?"

lolqueer8md.gif

"I just realized that it's been a little over three years to the day since 1UP hired me. I feel like I've accomplished very little here, but hopefully answers like this will help advance my career of being disliked by people with nothing better to do with their time.

Anyway, Could it be I'm biased? I was curious to see just how biased I truly am, so I sat down and averaged out my cumulative review scores for PSP and DS games to date. And yes, without question it seems I do tend let favoritism factor in:

* PSP review average: 6.96
* DS review average: 6.88

Well, there you have it, folks. Incontrovertible proof that I am, in fact, biased in favor of Sony's PSP. Just like the rest of the media. So much for objectivity."

TheMayor.jpg

"Haha, so true Jeremy. Well, thank you for your time and I hope everyone enjoys the amazing UG&G out in stores today!"

IMAGES

ultimate-ghosts-n-goblins-20060825041904631.jpg

ultimate-ghosts-n-goblins-20060717045746920.jpg

ultimate-ghosts-n-goblins-20060825041905710.jpg

ultimate-ghosts-n-goblins-20060825041906178.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
My one-sentence impressions:

UG'NG is super-hot, but it's also unbelievably balls-hard.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i didn't even know toastyfrog was a ds fanboy until he protested far too much on his bloggywog! ug+g = action platform jesus
until the collection kicks in -- funny that negative reviews have faulted it for sticking too close to the classic template, when its one real flaw is its one real deviation

Tiktaalik

This is the first GnG game I've ever played (the demo) and I'm planning on buying the game. It also made me seek out some other GnG games. Ghouls n' Ghosts for the Genesis (good so far) and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts for the GBA (****ing crazy hard so far. I can't beat the first level).

Amir0x

Banned
drohne said:
i didn't even know toastyfrog was a ds fanboy until he protested far too much on his bloggywog! ug+g = action platform jesus
until the collection kicks in -- funny that negative reviews have faulted it for sticking too close to the classic template, when its one real flaw is its one real deviation

yeah the ring shit is annoying for sure

White Man

I hope Parish gets AIDS. I hated him before the G&G review, but he deserves punishment for his 100% completely useless reviews in general.

Sorry Parish, you ain't funny. Stick to thumbnail theatre. I hope you didn't trick 1up into paying you for your shitty comic reviews, you piece of trash.

On the bright side, at least you make Sharkey seem marginally less that totally tarded.

holy hell everytime i see the Mayor from Tom goes to mayor, i just wanna shove my foot through the TV....that bastard is one ****ed-up crackpot weirdo

but then again TGTTM is one of those weird-ass animation shorts in the first place:lol

Amir0x

Banned
_leech_ said:
So he magically went from a 6.5 in EGM to 4.5 on 1up? :lol

It was a 6.5 in EGM, wasn't it?

No, it was 4.5

Anyway, I am quite happy his review went up. This thread was supposed to be revealed in conjunction with the UG&G Parish review.

In honor of Parish, everyone read this review.

GDJustin said:
My one-sentence impressions:

UG'NG is super-hot, but it's also unbelievably balls-hard.

Harder than DMC3 (original version)?

If so, god - dayum... I accept your challenge Capcom. Once again!

Kangu said:
Do you recommend this review?

Yes No

:lol You know, I wasn't going to click on the review because I didn't want to send the message that slagging spectacular updates to beloved franchises for all the wrong reasons was a good way to generate hits, but it was worth it for the feedback.

Do it for baby Jesus.

Listen to him. Making messianic babies cry is wrong.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
per the toastyfrog, no one has really liked any of the makaimura games, because they're just too hard to be any fun. and if we think we're better at them than he is, we're deceived -- it's either luck or animal persistence. it's a shame ziff hasn't got a fourth publication in which toastyfrog can review the game...he just keeps typing himself into new depths of stupidity, and at this point i'm enjoying the spectacle.

oh boy, game reviewers in 2006 have now become opinionted editorialists with Andy Rooney-ish commentating without the age old wisdom.

God, who do I have to suck off to be able to put Amir0x on ignore. I will even suck off Ami himself if that means I never have to see another one of his ****ing awful Official Thread posts ever again.

I was all laughing at Parish too after the EGM score leaked out. "Haw haw, he sux at video games!" But then my import copy arrived, and ****. I hate this game*. It's been eating at me since - I've been longing to come out of the closet and admit that I'm a UG'n'G hater, but I kept missing all the previous G'n'G/Toasty bashing threads, and I'm usually reluctant to post, nevermind bump a days old thread. So since this thread's already a joke I'll just come out and let you all know that I don't like this game. Good to know, ain't it?

*In Arcade mode. Maybe I should have put more time into Original, but playing a G'n'G where you respawn where you die felt so, so wrong.

Dev1lZ

Banned
Someone please make an official UG&G thread.

I don't know who Jeremy Parrish is and I don't actually care.

All that I know is that UG&G is the first new game Capcom has attempted in the series since the GBA version some years back.

Ghosts n Gobins was one of my first NES games.

Ghouls n Ghosts was my very first Genesis game.

Super Ghouls n Ghosts was my very first SNES game.

I borrowed my friends Supergraphx just to play the highly touted arcade perfect port of Ghouls n Ghosts.(I liked the Genesis version better)

I have played through the Ghouls n Ghosts arcade game thanks to emulation.

I bought the GBA Ghouls n Ghosts day one.

I bought both Maximo games, which rock.

I will have UG&G in my hands today!

Dev1lZ said:
Ghosts n Gobins was one of my first NES games.

Ghouls n Ghosts was my very first Genesis game.

Super Ghouls n Ghosts was my very first SNES game.

Was Nazomakaimura Incredible Toons your first PSX game? Didn't think so, POSEUR!

Farmboy

drohne said:
per the toastyfrog, no one has really liked any of the makaimura games, because they're just too hard to be any fun. and if we think we're better at them than he is, we're deceived -- it's either luck or animal persistence.

Much as I like (U)G&G and disagree with Parish' assessment of it, I have to admit he has a bit of a point concerning the luck-factor. I've always thought that the randomly spawning enemies don't mix particularly well with the fixed jumping arc, as obstacles that weren't there when you started the fixed jump can now suddenly pop up with nothing you can do about it, except trying again. It's actually less annoying in UG&G than it was in earlier versions (due to the double-jump), but I can see why one might see that as unfair.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It would be ironic if all this talk about Parish reviewing the game three times with crappy score gives this game more attention and more sales than it would have otherwise.

Anyways: BUY A UGNG

Farmboy said:
Much as I like (U)G&G and disagree with Parish' assessment of it, I have to admit he has a bit of a point concerning the luck-factor. I've always thought that the randomly spawning enemies don't mix particularly well with the fixed jumping arc, as obstacles that weren't there when you started the fixed jump can now suddenly pop up with nothing you can do about it, except trying again. It's actually less annoying in UG&G than it was in earlier versions (due to the double-jump), but I can see why one might see that as unfair.
If you're dashing through levels at full speed and leaping before you look, I can see how you'd get into trouble. It's not hard to deal with the random spawns if you pace yourself well and get used to the usual rate at which they appear. Be deliberate, not reckless.

UG&G did smooth over one of my least favorite parts of previous games: the magician that appears in (seemingly) every other chest and turns you into a duck or an old man. Now, he just shows up if you happen to accidentally shoot a cauldron.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Farmboy said:
Yuck. That's the sort of stuff that really turns me off... good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom