• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABC to light up 3-point line on 3-point shot attempts during Saturday NBA broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/technology-virtually-light-3-point-line-abc-193221127--nba.html

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) -- The 3-point line will virtually light up during Saturday prime-time NBA broadcasts on ABC this season.

ESPN said Thursday that it is using new technology to show viewers when a player attempts a jumper from beyond the 3-point arc.

''ESPN Virtual 3'' will debut for Saturday's matchup between the Cavaliers and Spurs.

For a made 3-pointer, the line will briefly remain lit up. For a miss, the illumination will end immediately.

Senior coordinating producer Tim Corrigan says ''it will give viewers instant clarity on whether a 3-point shot has been attempted, which hasn't been consistently evident during a live telecast.''

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hope they put a virtual fireball on the ball when its held by players who get three consecutive scores.

If it's consistently accurate, then it could help speed up the game by avoiding the need to check whether a shot was a 2 pointer or 3 pointer. If it's not, then it's totally pointless.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't know how this is useful.

I mean maybe for the hearing impaired so they don't have to wait for the captions to get around to when the commentator says "FOR THREE!"

Kaladin

Is this to help the visually impaired who might not be able to clearly see the actual 3 point line that is clearly marked on the court?

Skux

I dunno. Part of the fun is watching a long shot and thinking to yourself "Was it three was it three?!"

I'm surprised by the reactions in here. We have virtual first down lines in football and virtual strike zones in baseball. This isn't a new idea in sports broadcasting. It's just applying it to basketball

guys is this a 3?

p86dlPa.gif

Trey

they should light up the free throw line when Iguodala hits a free throw. That would be more fun.

I'm surprised by the reactions in here. We have virtual first down lines in football and virtual strike zones in baseball. This isn't a new idea in sports broadcasting. It's just applying it to basketball

because the line of scrimmage and the first down line and a batter's strike zone change all the time, are not intuitive to viewers, and aren't marked on the actual field. Those have high utility. three point line lighting up ain't the same thing.

Cyan

Banned
Seems kinda silly. The first down line in football is hugely useful as a viewer because there isn't usually a matching line on the field, and you can't always easily see the first down marker.

They're trying to find something similar for basketball, and it just ain't there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Those aren't already visible in the field of play though - first down markers on the sideline may not always be in the camera shot, and there's no real visual strike zone. There IS a visible three-point line on the court.

Seems kinda silly. The first down line in football is hugely useful as a viewer because there isn't usually a matching line on the field, and you can't always easily see the first down marker.

They're trying to find something similar for basketball, and it just ain't there.

They should have a step counter so people can spot travel violations.

kREMcbd.png

theRizzle

The difference there is that where the first down marker isn't always marked on the field of play (first downs are frequently achieved between yard lines for example... there's no marker on the field for the 43 yards and 10 inches line) and the strike zone is never marked.

The 3 point line is always there and it's static. I think a better equivalency would be if the NHL flashed the blueline when the puck crosses all the way over to better identify if the play was offside or not.

LionPride

Banned
Those aren't actually on the field. The restricted area is, the 3 point line is

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Why do they need a virtual 3 point line? There's a physical 3 point line...

The glowing puck is the greatest idea in history compared to this. Especially when angles change, hockey is possibly the hardest sport to follow on TV. The glowing puck looked dumb but it solved an actual issue (even if better camera and production work is the best solution to that problem). But there's a 3 point line. It's called the 3 point line. It's always there. It doesn't move.

If I had to guess, it sounds like they are trying to give the home viewer some of the "ooh shiny!" effect that fans get from the Jumbotron.

On a related note, I've noticed a lot of Nintendo sound effects at NBA games now. I've heard different teams use the Super Mario Bros coin or mushroom sound effects after made free throws. The organist for the Lakers played the Zelda theme!

Now that I endorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom