• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black renewed for Seasons 5, 6, and 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

“Orange Is the New Black” has nabbed a whopping three-season renewal from Netflix.

The deal includes a commitment from showrunner Jenji Kohan to remain at the helm of Netflix’s most-watched series through seasons five, six and seven. Season four of the Lionsgate TV-produced ensembler set in a woman’s prison bows June 17.

“Three more years! Not quite a political term, but still plenty of time to do some interesting things. In some cultures, ‘May you lead an interesting life,’ is a curse, but I don’t live in those cultures,” said Kohan. “Here’s to keeping it interesting. Thanks Netflix! Both thanks and you’re welcome Lionsgate! And kudos and gratitude to the stellar cast and crew and writers and producers and editors and musicians and mixers and shleppers… with whom I have the pride and honor of crafting this show. Three more years! Three more years!”

Netflix is famously tight-fisted when it comes to offering up viewership data about its original series. But execs with the streaming giant have repeatedly confirmed that “OITNB” is their most-watched original series. That has been backed up by the efforts of outside measurement companies to track viewing in the Netflix eco-system.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/orange-is-the-new-black-renewed-3-seasons-netflix-1201698227/

Chase17

Guess I should bail now?

Feel like the show has been declining in quality each year. Although, maybe it's just because the concept doesn't feel as fresh anymore.

Monster renewal anyways.

Chesskid1

Banned
i watched some of the first season but i never really got what was so great, but apparently it is huge considering how much i see it mentioned.

rugioh

Banned
The Piper character pretty much jumped the shark last season, nothing redeemable about her at all. Dunno how they plan on stretching it out another 3 seasons. Will this be the new Weeds?

liquidtmd

Banned
Season 1 - Great
Season 2 - Hmmm Okay
Season 3 - Legitimately couldn't finish...

Lost interest which is a shame because it was a great show to watch with the wife. Season 4, 5, 6 and 7 to go? Jesus Christ.

Guess I should bail now?

Feel like the show has been declining in quality each year. Although, maybe it's just because the concept doesn't feel as fresh anymore.

The concepts fine, the major problem they face after Season 1 is Piper became increasingly unlikeable (even if viewed as an antagonist). The to-ing and fro-ing in relation to Alex went from (as in real life with these type of relationships) hot as hell to God damn frustrating and ridiculous.

wow.....wow......

I don't know if there's a logical way to prolong the show and still have it be fresh but i wish them luck

Kathian

Banned
They better make big changes to the cast then. The problem with these shows is they treat them like soaps but keep a core group of characters when they need to change regularly to keep interest.

Karu

#bestnetflixshow

As an ensemble-comedy Orange can run longer by the nature of its format without getting too bad too quickly.

Way more okay with this renewal than the recent HoC-news (especially in regards to the showrunner-swap opposed to the renewal, as S3 was great in itself).

Halcyon

I've read the book. The first season was fairly interesting but since everything after that is made up, it didn't really keep me watching.

Season 1 - Great
Season 2 - Hmmm Okay

Lost interest which is a shame because it was a great show to watch with the wife. Season 4, 5, 6 and 7 to go? Jesus Christ.

The concepts fine, the major problem they face after Season 1 is Piper became increasingly unlikeable (even if viewed as an antagonist). The to-ing and fro-ing in relation to Alex went from (as in real life with these type of relationships) hot as hell to God damn frustrating and ridiculous.

Felt the same way, but I didn't even bother starting S3 and I really like the cast.

Kathian

Banned
I really liked the last season to be honest. I hope they can keep it up for that long

It was actually quite good; my issue with it was the season as a whole did not really come to any head or really lead anywhere. Felt like Season 4 will be Part 2 of the third.

Arkeband

Banned
I really wonder if anyone in charge of filming or directing Season 3 thought to themselves "what the fuck are we doing" when the entirety of the cast is
just flopping around in the water in the least prison-breaky prison break of all time.

Yikes.

The trajectory of the story feels like it should wrap up this season or at least the next. They are really stretching this out.

Karu

Yikes.

The trajectory of the story feels like it should wrap up this season or at least the next. They are really stretching this out.
I mean... what do they stretch out? it's not like there is any overall arc to it? And this isn't the Piper-only show (anymore) so I don't see that as a crux of the issue, either.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I liked seasons 1 and 2 a lot, but I didn't finish 3 because the series had completely lost focus. Sevens seasons is ridiculous.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ehh... I'm still only halfway through S2, but I guess I'll just drop it completely now.

Neol

Yea tried watching season 3 and dropped it midway.

Honestly the best parts of the show were knowing about the inmate's past and how it reflects upon there personality and such. Once they steered off of that path then it got boring and honestly I felt there were playing the lesbian angle too hard.

Hell yeah!

Didn't really see the appeal till I sat down and watched it and I binged one ep after the other and never watched anything else till I had watched all 3 seasons.

Season 1 - Great
Season 2 - Hmmm Okay

Exactly what happened to my wife and I. Gave up on season 3, Piper and Alex are incredibly annoying. It lost all steam after the first series.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I bailed 4 episodes into Season 3. Not sure how you stretch this out 7 seasons without seeing a Weeds level dip in quality.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Presumably they plan on phasing out Piper and her storyline, I recall them saying that 'if' they wanted to continue, they'd continue to go more into the other inmates and their stories, and keep Piper in the background, if at all.

I don't mind Piper as much as others do, but they are dragging her out, and struggling hard to keep her relevant by 'hardening' her.

Boney

Banned
Last season was absolute garbage and I only watched it because it was winter break and was hoping something would at least happen. Season 2 was also pretty mediocre and season 1 was pretty good for the novelty of it but still. 4 more seasons is horrible overkill.

Ehh...Sure I guess. The show is still OK.

Still its worrying that I have yet to see a single Netflix show keep its quality up after a good first season. Everything they do has a very noticeable dip after the first run. Big names quickly leave the project, random cast members dont reup for S2 etc... same thing happened with OITNB, HoC and I bet will happen to those Marvel shows.

Otheradam

I don't care about spoilers, why is she still in prison after all this time.

I'd like to know as well. I watched the first few eps of season 2 and it was clear they were not moving the story forward to stretch it with all the flashbacks. I bailed. Can't imagine how'd they be able to do seven seasons of her somehow being in jail. This is Prison Break levels of bad.

Don't like the direction Netflix is going with these two. This and House of Cards weren't setup to have so many seasons. I think the quality is going to keep going down on both of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom