• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light - The Following Review Thread

IvanJ

Banned
Excellent reviews, but it was to be expected. My GOTY last year, and have been looking forward to the new version with expansions, I'll happily repeat it.

And these reviews really right a wrong this game had been served upon launch (a 74 metascore). I still think reviewers were holding a grudge against Techland from the Dead Island days.

Vintage

Looks like a superb expansion. Kotaku review says it took about 20 hours and there was still stuff left to explore. Will definitely buy this.

Mattenth

Surprisingly solid reviews - hope it does well. Tough time to be launching with Firewatch and Unravel and the Steam sale.

Vintage

Sorry, I mean the base game of Dying light. What do I need to buy to upgrade to the new version?

You need to buy Dying Light: The Following expansion only.

There's this graph, if it helps:
Dying_Light_How_To_Get_EE.jpg

nOoblet16

Surprisingly solid reviews - hope it does well. Tough time to be launching with Firewatch and Unravel and the Steam sale.

Why surprising? Dying Light was incredible so it only makes sense that the game size expansion with changes to the main game gets solid reviews ;)

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
"satisfying ending" wow that got me hyped. The ending of the main game was lackluster (the last mission was terrible, forcing you to play alone and it was brutally long :O)

Maledict

It's good to see it getting better review than the launch version - easily last years best hidden gem, and not sure why it scored so (relatively) poorly on release.

It's a shame that Ihave no interest in the expansion though - can't stand driving games, and the fact the main point of the expansion is a buggy to drive in really doesn't excite me at all.,

carlsojo

The vanilla game was hugely underrated when it came out. It felt to me like it was punitive since publications didn't get review copies.

So my review isn't published yet, but while I enjoyed this, I had some conflicting feelings. The focus on driving is huge and thus getting around the map in a timely manner requires it. Which means expect to drive around A LOT. It's fun, but you won't get close to even making a dent in the skill tree for it by the time you finish. Also the parkour seems like way less of a focus now, which was half the fun in the original. It's still here but more segmented. I enjoyed the expansion, it's a great epilogue to the game with lots of new additions and enhancements to the core game. Just if you folks don't like the driving, they could end up feeling a bit dissapointed with how much it's a focus.

GeoramA

Can't wait to try this when I get home. Love me some Dying Light and I'm loving Techland more and more lately.

Volcane

My base copy on Steam is downloading a 3.1 GB update at this moment, so assume must be the enhanced update. So I'll have a look when it's finished.

One of the best games I played last year.

Karak

Mine for ACG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMIecypROgY
Rated it a Buy
A couple little issues here or there but ultimately exactly what I had hoped for. A return to form with an additional set of layers added that adjust the game enough to BE an expansion versus just some small changes. Also absolutely loved the gameplay loops.
Did notice that the GFX changes are very subtle and so many might expect something big and bombastic when it comes to the updates but thats not really how it works here.

soloscout

Neo Member
I played through dying light when it came out a year ago. So now there's DLC with more story? I don't remember the game at all. Is it first world problems that a whole year going by and not remembering the story at all as being a turn off for me?

Karak

I played through dying light when it came out a year ago. So now there's DLC with more story? I don't remember the game at all. Is it first world problems that a whole year going by and not remembering the story at all as being a turn off for me?
For a game where the story was about how to get you to run around and kill things and thats about it? Nah your good brother. Thats sort of expected lol

Alienous

I'm sure Techland will be regarded as one of the best developers this console generation.

I'm looking forward to playing this. This could have probably been sold as its own 'Far Cry Primal'-like sequel to Dying Light.

Top Bottom