• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter launches on May 27 (PC, PS4, XB1)

chadskin

sherlockdevilsdaughterpackshots.jpg

Bigben Interactive, the video game publisher and distributor, and the studio Frogwares are today pleased to reveal the packshots for Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter , an adventure game due to be released May 27 th on PlayStation ®4, Xbox One and PC.

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter , the eighth game in the series, is an incredible adventure game with unique gameplay blending investigation, action and exploration for an extraordinary experience that will test the limits of players' nerves and intelligence. Playing as the great detective, they will have to track down evil in the darkest corners of London and the human spirit, freely exploring several neighbourhoods in the city in search of clues and suspects while they untangle a web of intrigue leading to the final stunning revelation.

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter offers unique game mechanics and an epic storyline for an interactive and immersive experience unlike any they have ever had before. For the first time, the powers of analysis and composure of Sherlock Holmes will be shaken by emotion as he is caught between family, dark forces and powerful thirsts for vengeance….
http://gamasutra.com/view/pressrele...TER_UNVEILS_ITSPACKSHOTS_AND_RELEASE_DATE.php

Parsnip

I'm ready.
The previous one was pretty rad.
Looking forward to seeing how glorious Watson's mustache is this time.

That cover lol. I'm ready to solve crimes in post-apocalyptic London.

Crimes and Punishments was a good game though, so I'd be down for more of this.

Tizoc

We need ot subtitle suggestions
All i got atm is
Watson you have my permission to eviscrate with extreme prejudice

Haunted

I hope the boxart is once again completely stupid and not at all indicative of the actual tone of the game.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The last one was great (thanks again for recommending it to me Miles), so I'll definitely be picking this one up.

IvanJ

Banned
I really enjoyed Crimes and Punishments, the mysteries were well written and well executed. They were not easy, but not obtuse and impossible to solve either.
Looking forward to this game, might even buy it day one, May is uneventful for me so far.

The last one was a free game, but I never played it. What are these games typically like?

I read about this early this morning, and it sounds interesting. I particularly like the cover art and the subtitle. But I don't know if they'd be for me.

Cess007

I remember trying Crimes and Punishment on PS3, but the screen tearing was awful :( Never got around to try the PS4 version.

Tizoc

The last one was a free game, but I never played it. What are these games typically like?

I read about this early this morning, and it sounds interesting. I particularly like the cover art and the subtitle. But I don't know if they'd be for me.
It is an dventure game series u explore areas for items and solve puzzles
The last game multiple outcomes for the chapters

wouwie

That's quite soon after the previous game, Crimes & Punishments, which was awesome (much to my surprise). This is easily one of my most anticipated games. I hope Frogwares managed to overcome the technical problems though (but releasing on fewer platforms and not on last gen consoles should help).

Not sure how i feel about action sequences since i don't think this series needs them. But we'll see.

Certinty

C&P was awesome besides the horrible loading times.

Providing this improves on that I'll definitely be getting it.

Got the last one while it was on sale, definitely getting this at launch. The more of these type of games come to current gen consoles, the better.

Fingers crossed they've retained the gameplay and VAs from Crimes & Punishments, that was a damn good game. I tried out Testament recently and that felt so janky in comparison, and Watson's VA in particular was pretty bad.

Tizoc

It will be indicative of the game since the series is now a Devil May Cry character action spinoff.
Will watson's mustache go super saiyan god?

Sherlock looks like he won't be takin' shit from nobody in that cover hah.
If the performance is good I maaaaaaaaaaaaaay get it on PS4 as well.
By good I mean no screen tearing+solid 30 FPS for one thing.

demidar

Will watson's mustache go super saiyan god?

Sherlock looks like he won't be takin' shit from nobody in that cover hah.
If the performance is good I maaaaaaaaaaaaaay get it on PS4 as well.
By good I mean no screen tearing+solid 30 FPS for one thing.

It will turn white to signify Watson accepting his demonic heritage.

Super Saiyan? Please, this isn't an anime.

Absolutely loved Crimes & Punishments

The sense of place was incredible, and tbh kinda spoiled AC: Syndicate for me in that respect.

Will get this day 1

WITHE1982

Great news. Enjoyed the first two games immensely.

Looking forward to more beagle interactions and leering at fat women through a telescope for no apparent reason.

Are the puzzles challenging and at all obtuse?

Not really. Talking about C&P in particular it was mostly about investigating crime scenes, gathering evidence, talking to suspects and then using the logic system to piece all your evidence together to solve the crime. The puzzles were limited to lockpicking and stuff. The cool thing was that each case had multiple outcomes based on who you accuse of being the criminal and how you choose to interpret the evidence. You can outright arrest the wrong person or the right person for the wrong reasons - and it never specifically says if your judgement was correct or not.

Not really. Talking about C&P in particular it was mostly about investigating crime scenes, gathering evidence, talking to suspects and then using the logic system to piece all your evidence together to solve the crime. The puzzles were limited to lockpicking and stuff. The cool thing was that each case had multiple outcomes based on who you accuse of being the criminal and how you choose to interpret the evidence. You can outright arrest the wrong person or the right person for the wrong reasons - and it never specifically says if your judgement was correct or not.

Weird.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds interesting despite the bolded. I may check it out.

Stike

never specifically says if your judgement was correct or not.

This is wrong.

After the case is closed, you are indicated if you made the "true" choice or not (the name of the ending is shown in either green or red).

Maybe you are actually colorblind? :)

Aaaaand double-posted. Ooops.

Weird.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds interesting despite the bolded. I may check it out.
It's actually not a bad thing, I mean when judges send criminals down do they get a big tick mark saying "correct, you got the right answer"? Guilt and innocence isn't a certainty, and that's how the game portrays it. Just think of how many people go to prison for crimes they don't commit, and then think how much higher that rate would be before we had all the tools we currently have at our disposal.

And you never find out? Not ever?

This is wrong.

After the case is closed, you are indicated if you made the "true" choice or not (the name of the ending is shown in either green or red).

Maybe you are actually colorblind? :)

You can choose to find out by looking at the correct answers and what other people selected for each choice (think like Life is Strange end of chapter reviews), but ONLY if you want to. The game continues if you made the right choice or not and you will see some consequences of your choices pop up in newspaper articles and such during later chapters, but the game never stops to say "you did this wrong, try again" or "man, you failed that case, guess you don't get the true ending". If you don't choose to view the end of chapter reviews, you won't know.

If you want to just play it like a game, view your mistakes, view the correct answer and then rewind to change the outcome to the correct one, you can - but it's actually way more fun to let those choices stick.

Edit: I blanked out the spoilers, but on the end of case screen where it describes your deductions and choice this is what you're presented with.

vYR9qYS.png

Ruddles72

I was so positively surprised by the last one (Crimes and Punishments). The gameplay is good enough, but what I really liked was the acting, some truly excellent voice work.

A definite must-buy for me!

I liked the Sherlock Holmes games so far, my only complaint is that they are far too short. I've finished the previous 2 within 8 hours each. Preferably I'd love to have enough content to easily push the game past 20 hours.

Top Bottom