• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Fox orders Lethal Weapon TV pilot starring Damon Wayans, McG directing

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://deadline.com/2016/02/lethal-weapon-pilot-damon-wayans-star-mcg-direct-fox-1201701545/

After lengthy negotiations, Fox and Warner Bros. TV have closed a pilot-order deal for Lethal Weapon, an hourlong series based on the cop buddy action comedy movies that starred Mel Gibson as Martin Riggs and Danny Glover as Roger Murtaugh.

In Living Color alum Damon Wayans Sr. is set to play Murtaugh in the remake, with Charlie’s Angels helmer McG set to direct the pilot for Warner Bros. TV.

Written by former Chuck executive producer and Forever creator Matt Miller, Lethal Weapon, like WBTV’s Rush Hour series for CBS, is a relatively straight remake featuring the movies’ central characters.

This is the latest high-profile movie remake greenlighted this TV development season, joining the straight-to-series Taken at NBC, and pilots Training Day at CBS and Frequency at the CW.

For Wayans, Sr., who was identified for the role of Murtaugh about a month ago, this marks a return to acting after a five-year break. He is repped by ICM Partners and Kleinberg Lange Cuddy & Carlo.

88afa7b34ed8c1404d02bf71da21a2c8.jpg

In the series, when Texas cop and former Navy SEAL Riggs suffers the loss of his wife and baby, he moves to Los Angeles to start anew. There, he is partnered with LAPD detective Murtaugh (Wayans), who, having recently suffered a “minor” heart attack, must avoid stress in his life.

Just... no.

threw up in my mouth
This is the only valid response for this thread and I'm not even kidding.

I feel like when you hire a Wayans you already know your project is going to fail.
Should we all be so lucky. I guess you haven't heard about scary parody MCXXIV. There's an audience out there for this shit.
For Wayans, Sr., who was identified for the role of Murtaugh about a month ago, this marks a return to acting after a five-year break.
this marks a return to acting
return to acting
Sure.

zma1013

I would only accept a Lethal Weapon TV show reboot if the Always Sunny in Philedelphia guys were doing it. Nothing less.

Korigama

Like getting a Rush Hour TV show wasn't bad enough.
Did Charlie’s Angels suck? I skipped it.
The original was mediocre, at best. The sequel, which McG also directed, was so mind-numbingly stupid and terrible that it makes Michael Bay's work look like high art.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
With all the great work that Damon Wayans Jr. has done on television over the past 5 years or so, is there really room for Damon Wayans Sr. as a series regular anywhere?

Penguin

So many movies-to-TV shows popping up these past few years.

I mean it could work as a cop show, but not sure if the whole too old for this will work as a series

Grizzo

Did Charlie’s Angels suck? I skipped it.

Beware, they're not talking about the failed TV show from two years ago: McG directed both Charlie's Angels movies, which were great in their own right. Lots of action and mindless fun.

I don't know about this Lethal Weapon project though.

coy

I enjoyed the Lethal Weapon movies, but I don't know if I can get behind this. I'll give the pilot a try with low expectations.

Matt Damon Wayans?

Honestly though: I know about "Blankman" Wayans and "I'm a Marine: we don't plan, we improvise" Wayans and then scary movie Wayans. Which one is this?

Blankman.

Cardon

So based on this casting choice who do y'all think will be cast to play Riggs? I'm trying to think of a somewhat notable mid-tier actor that is in the 45-55 age bracket that can lightly mimick what Mel did back in the day but I'm drawing blanks.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This is the latest high-profile movie remake greenlighted this TV development season, joining the straight-to-series Taken at NBC, and pilots Training Day at CBS and Frequency at the CW.
There's also a Cruel Intentions continuation and The Exorcist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom