• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Street Fighter 5, PS4 vs PC

jett

D-Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1rEztT77NM

Just a video for now. Main takeaways:

-PC version has per-object motion blur
-PC version has higher resolution textures but it's unnoticeable during regular gameplay
-PC version has "better" temporal AA
-They didn't do any framerate testing
-They mostly look the same, except for the motion blur

Speaking on the motion blur and the AA, I think both are way too strong in the PC version, the top end options anyway, it just gives the game a really blurry look, in stills and in motion.

x8Eoxr7.jpg

...and here's the video I did for the game. Looks more in-depth at the PC settings. Didn't have long to work on it but I think it turned out OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5IcIPRYpBU&feature=youtu.be

I-hate-u

Why no frame-data testing? That's the biggest thing.

Edit: Doesn't matter anyway. Pro tour will played on PS4. I really hope there is parity between both versions. I don't want to hear excuses like in during the PS3 era of Capcom fighters.

If possible will be turning off Motion Blur and AA. Hope there is no FPS issues on PC, otherwise I'll burst my V-trigger.

Digital Foundry do graphical comparison videos along with separate FPS comparison videos.

For now, we must wait.

FinKL

I must be the minority, one of the reasons I would say the PC version looks better is because of motion blur. I also set "auto motion plus" (soap opera effect) to max on my tvs that have it, so maybe I've just gotten used to it.

I'll probably turn it off though and set my PC as close to PS4 to replicate tournament settings.

Gbraga

I must be the minority, one of the reasons I would say the PC version looks better is because of motion blur. I also set "auto motion plus" (soap opera effect) to max on my tvs that have it, so maybe I've just gotten used to it.

I'll probably turn it off though and set my PC as close to PS4 to replicate tournament settings.

You should turn off that setting on your TV to get closer to tournament settings. You want as little input lag as possible.

I'll try forcing vsync off through the control panel as well for that reason.

Someone said in the OT that setting Post Process to Medium gets rid of the awful motion blur, for people who dislike it as well.

nOoblet16

Per object motion blur really should be standard and relatively cheap feature to implement this gen, especially for a fighter so I don't know why it's missing here.
In defence of the effect, when done properly (as in only for fast movement, without too much intensity and only applied to the body part moving fast rather than the ones surrounding it) and implemented with the right game it can look downright amazing at 60FPS. Tekken 5 is a good example of great use of per object motion blur to enhance animations.

But I don't think Street Fighter is the right kind of game for this since the animations in Street Fighter freeze on contact, while at the same time there are some animations that are very fast. The intensity of the blur is also a bit too high, for instance the entire upper body of Ryu is blurred when he is charging up and launching a Hadoken, when it really should just be his arms.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, you guys hate the motion blur? For shame. I think it looks godlike. Absolutely love it.

VariantX

It can't be as bad as Type-O, right?

No game gave me as much of a headache as that game did. Even the "fix" was more like a band-aid.

Literally could not play that game without feeling motion sick pre patch. Even post patch, the rotation speed of the camera along with the movement of the characters still feel off, it just wont make you want to hurl after 5 minutes of play.

Wallach

I feel like they have the resolution scaling setting fucked up in their PC footage. I don't recall the game looking that blurry in beta on my end, and I actually bounced between both versions of the beta on the same panel.

I hate the motion blur on this game.

If possible will be turning off Motion Blur and AA. Hope there is no FPS issues on PC, otherwise I'll burst my V-trigger.

Digital Foundry do graphical comparison videos along with separate FPS comparison videos.

For now, we must wait.

The motion blur and AA in this game look awful on PC. Just makes it look like a blurry mess.

This so fricking much. Please let us turn this off. It's fucking terrible.
I would be very surprised if the post processing option in the menu did not control motion blur or an autoexec. could not take care of it like in all other UE games.

I love the motion blur and the ultra AA. To each his own I guess.

Nick

So glad they did away with the ugly dithering that was on the Ps4 beta. Also, Justin Wong was complaining of dropped frames in the Ps4 version? Glad I stuck with Steam.

Gren

not a single mention of the terrible shadow dithering on ps4...

Those dithered shadows look a hell of a lot better than PC's lowest shadow setting (huge, jagged edges everywhere).

I'd really like it if in the final release they allowed us to fully disable certain settings (blur, AA, etc) via editing the config file, as it didn't work in the beta.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I would be very surprised if the post processing option in the menu did not control motion blur or an autoexec. could not take care of it like in all other UE games.

You can modify all of it and I'll be covering that in my PC settings video tomorrow.

FinKL

You should turn off that setting on your TV to get closer to tournament settings. You want as little input lag as possible.

I'll try forcing vsync off through the control panel as well for that reason.

Someone said in the OT that setting Post Process to Medium gets rid of the awful motion blur, for people who dislike it as well.

During gaming, latency is king. My samsung is in game mode with all post processing off. Luckily, I'm playing on PC this time around with a monitor.

As a spectator, I think the blur is ok, if not slightly a tad much, but I wouldn't ever play with it on. I mean, in a game where judging range and seeing attacks is key, why would you want to "blur" animations.

ps4 char models look better to me at matching resolutions, but the environment is clearly superior on the PC. dat floor. not to mention the color accuracy (lack of crush)

anyway, downsampling and higher resolutions will be a thing on PC, so it'll never actually be a debate which looks better.

ZeroX03

Banned
The motion blur is incredible in this game, loved it. Don't blow it out of proportion. Also, let's not forget the PS4 version suffers from dithering.

You can modify all of it and I'll be covering that in my PC settings video tomorrow.

You da man, Dark.

I am not exactly sure why the game has apparently lower res textures on PS4. Maybe they were just using a very straight UE4 porting idea? Default settings translation?

Or like Rich said, to reduce load times (this one makes sense tbh)?
PC settings video tomorrow.

The motion blur works wonders for the character intros but yeah... in gameplay it's a little too much.

This makes me wonder if you can .ini tweak motion blur shutter speed and strength for all those who think it is "a bit too much".

Gojeran

I'm not too worried about the AA. I plan to run it at 1440p or even down sampled 4K but that blur has got to go. Glad to hear it likely won't be an issue.

UnrealEck

I'd play it on PC.
More flexibility in graphics, higher resolution, better AA, smoother/higher performance and the ability to use my 1ms monitor.

Top Bottom