• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does ethnicity influence game design?

Malyse

“My ethnicity affects every aspect of my life, the same as it does for everyone. How I view the world, how I communicate, how I feel and think. It affects your world lens.” – Renee Nejo
Over our recent series of articles on women of color in game development, we’ve spoken with game developers from many different backgrounds about their games, accomplishments and advice for up-and-coming game developers.

One aspect of the conversations that stood out was the discussion of ethnicity, and how it affected the game developer, and game design.

I spoke with twelve developers: five Black women, four Latin/Hispanic women, two Asian women, and one Native American woman. Though they each had unique experiences, they all agreed that they do not see many women of their particular ethnicity in the industry, much less get to work with other women of their ethnicity.

And isolation affects their career.

“The first time I had the opportunity to write code with another black woman was twelve years into my career,” said Angie Jones, developer of Diva Chix.

“Imagine going twelve years of your life without working with someone who is the same gender and ethnicity as you are. That does something to your psyche. That causes you to feel like an intruder…someone who doesn’t belong. This self-doubt can affect your work performance and overall satisfaction with your career,” she said.

Renee Nejo, a freelance game artist and designer, agreed.

“I don’t see them. I believe they are here, there has to be more than just me and Elizabeth LePansee,” she said.

“But I really don’t see them. It matters. I don’t choose whether or not it does. It just does. When there is a presence of others around you that already know what it’s like without you having to explain it, it matters. When there is an absence of people who know what it’s like, it matters. You feel that either way.”

While it is obvious just from these conversations (and from my own experiences in game development) that diversity and representation matter, that could be said of any industry. No matter where one works, feeling like an outcast or minority will probably have an effect.

But the video game industry is unique in that it is ultimately a highly interactive form of entertainment or art. It is a way to play and to tell stories. Even the words “video game” can mean vastly different things, depending on who one asks.

So does being a minority affect game design?

The answer is yes, but in both positive and negative ways.
More at http://remeshed.com/2016/ethnicity-influence-game-design/

Yeah I've been saying for a while that just having a diverse team can just change how a game could play because these people are coming up with different experiences and these experiences affect the way they think, thus affecting their approach on the game and if in charge or their opinions are valued could entirely shape the genre of the game they are working on.

Also I know as myself, that I could be facing these same situations when I enter the game industry. I found it rare just to encounter another person like me interested in the same hobby let alone pursuing it as a career.

I would check out MrBTongue's video on related to this and the importance of diversity in the industry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFNRmtJRkCc It's not his best but I think it contemplates very interesting questions.

His main point in the video, using Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 as examples, is that diversity is essential for diverse experiences. That these games are so good and yet so different because of the people that made them. You have The Witcher series oozing with Polish mythology and culture and Bloodborne with a Japanese influenced Lovecraftian theme. Similarly I don't think you get the Grand Theft Auto we know, both a love letter and a scathing satire of American culture, without it being made outside the US and with an Anglo perspective of America.

I don't know if ethnicity directly influences a person's mind but it affects your life and your experiences which in turn will manifest in the things you create, how you do your job, how you work with others etc. Because it is related to how you are raised, your culture, and your experiences, it will undoubtedly be expressed in your work.

M3d10n

I would check out MrBTongue's video on related to this and the importance of diversity in the industry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFNRmtJRkCc It's not his best but I think it contemplates very interesting questions.

His main point in the video, using Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 as examples, is that diversity is essential for diverse experiences. That these games are so good and yet so different because of the people that made them. You have The Witcher series oozing with Polish mythology and culture and Bloodborne with a Japanese influenced Lovecraftian theme. Similarly I don't think you get the Grand Theft Auto we know, both a love letter and a scathing satire of American culture, without it being made outside the US and with an Anglo perspective of America.

I don't know if ethnicity directly influences a person's mind but it affects your life and your experiences which in turn will manifest in the things you create, how you do your job, how you work with others etc. Because it is related to how you are raised, your culture, and your experiences, it will undoubtedly be expressed in your work.

Those are games made in different countries, with different cultures. Nothing to do with skin color or shape of the eyes.

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
Those are games made in different countries, with different cultures. Nothing to do with skin color or shape of the eyes.

Yet culture is what makes ethnicity rather then a phenotype. There seem to be a confusion regarding ethnic vs racial distinction here.

Top Bottom