• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Shadow Spell (PS2) famitsu scans

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Really nice looking sprite graphics :)

Thanks for the scans, Neo!

Nvidia said:
Any chance for this game coming to North America?

Suikoguy said:
Really nice looking sprite graphics :)

... Unfortunately, that's probably your answer right there. Hooray for SCEA.

But PS2 releases are getting thinner, and their priorities are going to shift to PS3 soon, so maybe there's still a chance.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Looks really cool. I need to get back into SRPGs. I haven't played one since FFTA killed my love for the genre.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
pancakesandsex said:
Pre-ordering this
Flight plan is incredible, and i belive summon night is theres too, just distroed by banpresto.

Either you live in Japan, or you know something we don't...

Suikoguy said:
Either you live in Japan, or you know something we don't...

I play flight plan games

They developed the Black Matrix and Summon night series, and i think summon night is their original creation, and is just published by banpresto. Actually both might be, cuz i dont see NEC interchannel having a creative staff.

Suikoguy

pancakesandsex said:
I play flight plan games

They developed the Black Matrix and Summon night series, and i think summon night is their original creation, and is just published by banpresto. Actually both might be, cuz i dont see NEC interchannel having a creative staff.

What I meant was, did someone pick it up for Translation?

OatmealMu

mysterouslytraplikeol6.jpg

Hmm. That looks strangely trap-like.

This had better come to the US. I would definitely buy it. Hopefully some US publisher picks it up and goes full bore at it.

Also, giant roosters FTW!

Aaron

momolicious said:
Nippon Ichi should take note of those 2d graphics
NIS do animation much better than Flight Plan though. If there was a way to combine the two, you'd have 2D graphics to gush for. I hope this won't be as story heavy as SN3 and SN:EX were though. Still frame cut-scenes are so very boring, even when the story is kind of cool.

interesting news from the info translated by RPGFan:

Flight-Plan has announced some new details regarding its original PlayStation 2 strategy RPG Dragon Shadow Spell (DSS). The game is the first title that the developers of Summon Night and Black/Matrix will publish on their own. In the game's world, magicians known as Valiants are seeking an ancient power known as Matrix. The game's protagonist, Kite, is a Valiant apprentice. As the young man investigates a newly discovered ancient ruin in Tokyo's Shinjuku district, he comes under attack from strange monsters. The only way to effectively fight these creatures is by wielding a weapon known as Matrix Gear. After obtaining such a Matrix Gear, Kite attacks his foes; then, something strange appears before him.

Unlike most other strategy RPGs made in Japan, Dragon Shadow Spell's battle system is not turn-based. Deathblows and other special attacks however will as always be accompanied by cut-ins and flashy effects. The game's development is currently 65% complete.

Dragon Shadow Spell will be available in Japan sometime in January 2007.

Sounds good although I don't get what they are trying to say...full action strategy battle system? like age of empires or what? :lol

EDIT: oh, the webpage opened... http://dss-fp.jp/dss.html
the same stuff as the scans but direct-feed (still mini pics though)

Aaron said:
NIS do animation much better than Flight Plan though. If there was a way to combine the two, you'd have 2D graphics to gush for. I hope this won't be as story heavy as SN3 and SN:EX were though. Still frame cut-scenes are so very boring, even when the story is kind of cool.

Ummmm, you really think so? the NIS game sprites never stood out to me as particularly well animated. Sure they had alot of flashy attacks using lighting effects and whatnot, but the sprites themselves barely moved.

Go play black/matrix 00 then tell me flight plan's animations arent as good if not better.

Hmm, I haven't tried any of Flight Plan's other games (heck, I'll admit that I hadn't even heard the name before this thread), so I can't get too enthused personally about this one yet...

TreIII

pancakesandsex said:
Go play black/matrix 00 then tell me flight plan's animations arent as good if not better.

Ahhh...Black/Matrix. THAT brings back fond memories. If Flight Plan can do for me again like they did for me a while ago through B/M, they'll get me to sign on again. I could really use a good SRPG series to get into...the only ones I really play some semblance to "religiously" any more is like SRW and Fire Emblem. Nippon Ichi games have never done that much for me, honestly...

Aaron

pancakesandsex said:
Ummmm, you really think so? the NIS game sprites never stood out to me as particularly well animated. Sure they had alot of flashy attacks using lighting effects and whatnot, but the sprites themselves barely moved.

I thought they didn't do 00, only the original and advanced b/m. Anyway, I've played SM3 and SM:EX, and compared to Disgaea 2, the animations just don't seem as good to me. They seem a bit stiff and very quick, to the point if you blink, you've missed them. Overall though, I think they're the sprite masters, and looking forward to their upcoming games more than NIS's next title.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This isn't turn-based? Now I'm even more interested... but it'll now hurt even more when it never comes out here. :(

TreIII

Ressurecting an old topic? Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

But unless what I'm adding is old'd already, I think all that were looking out for this game might appreciate this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaUP4rIxgAc - Promotional vid for the game that was included in the recent Famitsu Wave DVD.

And may I add...Damn, this game is looking good...:lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TreIII said:
Ressurecting an old topic? Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

But unless what I'm adding is old'd already, I think all that were looking out for this game might appreciate this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaUP4rIxgAc - Promotional vid for the game that was included in the recent Famitsu Wave DVD.

And may I add...Damn, this game is looking good...:lol
HOLY ****ING SHIT!

This makes me sad... come on Atlus, work some magic. :(

Aaron

Gaijin To Ronin said:
Looks awesome. I think I will import it.
Summon Night 3 looked almost as good, just not quite as flashy. Flagship know how to make great looking sprites. I hope they'll cut down the length of the story scenes though. Talking head just aren't that interesting, esp when they're just still images.

duckroll

Aaron said:
Summon Night 3 looked almost as good, just not quite as flashy. Flagship know how to make great looking sprites. I hope they'll cut down the length of the story scenes though. Talking head just aren't that interesting, esp when they're just still images.

Dude, it's Flight Plan. Flagship is the Capcom studio that does RE scenarios and Zelda GBA games. :p

Aaron

duckroll said:
Dude, it's Flight Plan. Flagship is the Capcom studio that does RE scenarios and Zelda GBA games. :p
True, but Flight Plan is such a silly name I can't bare to type it. :D

TreIII

^ Probably a bit of truth.

It's just that it's a pity that it was never localized for one, and two, it can be quite a rarity today.

TreIII said:
^ Probably a bit of truth.

It's just that it's a pity that it was never localized for one, and two, it can be quite a rarity today.

It was the last new (not a re-release) ps1 game ever.

Top Bottom