• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine - Sonic X Puyo Puyo

RK128

Sonic_Mean_Bean_Machine.jpg

Hello everyone :D!

I decided to make a poll on Twitter for which game I was going to tackle next and it was 50/50 between this and 3D Blast, so making those threads back-to-back!

This game is interesting as its more or less Sega's first licensed game based of the Sonic IP. I'm serious when I say that, as this game uses Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog characters.

dr-robotniks-mean-bean-machine-02.png

Scratch, Grounder and Robotnik are all based on their AoStH versions and its odd seeing this comedic take on the franchise get its own video game!

But one must ask, how do you make a game with Robotnik. Are you making robots and taking over the world? Fighting the Blue Blur by making traps that halt his progress? Blowing stuff up with a walker mech.....wait a minute, we DID get that latter though....

latest

Anyway, so what is this game with Robotnik about :D!?

puyo_pop_fever_logo___transparent_by_jucstin-d8ycooy.png

Puyo Puyo clone, that's what!

gam_nightofthewerehog_490.jpg

Where did the Werehog come from?! Jeez, calm down man....but yes, its a puzzle game and its a fun one at that!

If you played Puyo Puyo before, you know how this works already; you match colorful beans by color and you have to defeat the opposing Badnink on the right side of the screen.

dr-robotniks-mean-bean-machine-04.png

So this repeats with new fights and things getting much, much harder over time.

GENESIS--Dr%20Robotniks%20Mean%20Bean%20Machine_Mar17%2012_40_54.png

See the black rock objects in the above screen? They block you're path of other beans landing (so no more chains and matching colors). This can happen to you're foes too if you get chain after chain as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

But the thing is, this game gets hard. VERY hard over time, with the fight with Robotnik himself being quite the 'fun' experience.

hqdefault.jpg

You see that image? Where you're beans become angels/flying things while good ol' Robotnik laughs in your face? That will happen over and over and over and over and..................over and over again :'(.

I honestly didn't beat this when doing this for the retrospective, as I could never beat this boss despite getting to level 10-11 despite some mild frustrations. This is a hard puzzle game and if you want a great challenge, this is the game for you.

But, like every Sonic game, the music here rocks :).

Intro Screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8iWKIUouPo&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD
Levels 1-4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHDVpFj-5rM&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD&index=3
Levels 9-12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5_0_MUxSqE&index=7&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD
Level 13 (Final Boss): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hscV8q0zi5g&index=9&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD
Staff Roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v69DP58qpuA&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD&index=11
Continue?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn1l7LfN730&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD&index=15
2-Player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjEyI6Pqnfk&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD&index=18

We even have some unused themes hidden away in the game!
Brave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W06TBgz01-M&index=19&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD
Puyo Puyo Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obNbqDwR5PY&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD&index=20
Unused Sound Code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJmx9Fte2k&list=PL8FE74949CBBC8CBD&index=21

The music in the game rocks and helps push you through the tough puzzles.

- - - - - -

I'm sorry this OP isn't as long as say, my Sonic 3&K, Knuckles Chaotix or Colors threads but its hard to talk about a puzzle game when you aren't an avid puzzle gamer at heart. I love them though, with Tetris being a favorite :D! I enjoyed my time revisiting this one and its always nice spending time with the Eggm.....I mean Robotnik Empire for a bit :).

Going to close the thread with images with this amazing foe based off the cartoon.
Super Robotnik Man:
latest

Award Robotnik:
latest

Umm......Psycho Robotnik?:
untitled51_by_tod309-d76ohb6.jpg

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was strange man :l.

- - - - - -

Join me next time when we help Sonic save the some critters in one blast of a game ;). (Yes, will be talking about the Saturn version too!)
S3D1.PNG

CHC

Absolute classic. An excellent "pre-mobile" mobile game, if you will.... I have LOTS of great memories of playing this with my friend in his basement. It was so perfect to just throw on, sit down on the carpet, and chill out talking while the beans merged and splashed away.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Since I had a SNES, I played Kirby's Avalanche, which was another Puyo Puyo clone.

I never managed to finish it. :/

Nesther

Just last week I finished it as a part of getting the platinum in Sonics Genesis collection.

The end boss was so, so frustratingly difficult.

Camjo-Z

This game will forever remain infamous to me for being the only game in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection I couldn't get the achievement for. ROBOTNIK!!!

edit: at least i am not alone in my struggles

RK128

This game will forever remain infamous to me for being the only game in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection I couldn't get the achievement for. ROBOTNIK!!!

I.....never bothered with that trophy honestly.

Because I could never get it :'(. Stop being so cheap Robotnik X(!

I beat the game as a kid. It made me very good at puzzle games.

I used to obsessively play this game, to the point where I believe the game helped me develop strong problem solving skills.

Absolutely loved this game as a kid, and I loved the music too.

I actually re-played this a few months ago and was able to beat it without much of a problem.

RK128

I beat the game as a kid. It made me very good at puzzle games.

I used to obsessively play this game, to the point where I believe the game helped me develop strong problem solving skills.

Puzzle games are always great for the mind, as it builds motor skills, critical thinking skills and grows our problem solving skills; the game helping you develop those abilities makes a lot of sense, considering that is a strong element those games promote.

Sorry, my teaching side of me went active there XD! Try linking stuff I do to education (as I am in college for a teaching degree). Wrote a few papers on how to link video games to education too :).

Happy to see the game doing that for you buddy :D!

Luigi87

I remembering renting this as a kid and sucking at it, lol. Good write-up as per usual, but really looking forward to the 3D Blast thread. I know next to nothing about the Saturn version.

I have a lot of fond memories of playing this with my brother and some of our buddies as kids. Whenever you get a combo it sounds like the beans (or whatever) are saying 'PIZZA' and we've been saying 'PIZZA' whenever something good happens for years.

RK128

I remembering renting this as a kid and sucking at it, lol. Good write-up as per usual, but really looking forward to the 3D Blast thread. I know next to nothing about the Saturn version.

Thanks buddy :D!

The Saturn version has enough differences from the Genesis version to talk about and in some ways, is the best version of the game!

But will talk about that latter when the thread is made though :).

Its nice to see people enjoying my threads, so I hope you look forward to the 3D Blast Thread.

The game over screen is from the first episode of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Actually, most of this game is based off of the first episode, you can see almost all of the characters you fight except for Spike
This game had a weird bug on the Game Gear version that would pop up an error message that said "Check Cable" with Robotnik's face that traumatized me as a kid. I love this game, awesome thread

Mean Bean Machine was my jam. I never expected to like it as much as I did, and yet it's one of my favorite Genesis games ever.

RK128

The game over screen is from the first episode of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Actually, most of this game is based off of the first episode, you can see almost all of the characters you fight except for Spike
This game had a weird bug on the Game Gear version that would pop up an error message that said "Check Cable" with Robotnik's face that traumatized me as a kid. I love this game, awesome thread

Cool fun fact :D! Never knew that.....thought they came from random episodes from the series. Thank you for sharing this and I'm glad you are enjoying the thread!

RK128

If only there were another thread recently posted about how to git gud at puyo, dang that'd be dope

Are you hinting at something ;)?

I admit, I need to play more Puyo Puyo Pop for sure XD! Great series that I didn't really play growing up sadly (outside of this game of course).

Imagine my surprise when playing Puyo Puyo Anniversary and a rock guitar remix of the Vs Mode theme starts playing on the final boss. Who happens to be Satan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GpF38PZjPM8

That song actually is Satan's Theme

Speaking of the music, I remember beating the game as a kid and being so excited when the curtain call happened and it showed all of the characters. The music that played during it was of course a remix of the Puyo Puyo theme, and later on in the series became the theme for the 1st gen main character Arle. Also continuously remixed

zulux21

I used to play this a lot as a kid, and i was good at it... very good. I beat it many times and would destroy anyone I faced with ease.

tried it again a year or two ago... and I couldn't get past stage 6 (didn't try long but still)
all my mad combo skills... gone...

my 10 year old self could wipe the floor with my current self lol.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

I know, right? I had to get my brother to get that trophy. He makes the whole thing so goddamn easy.

Also, Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection is a better name.

RK128

I know, right? I had to get my brother to get that trophy. He makes the whole thing so goddamn easy.

Also, Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection is a better name.

I agree with the spoiler for sure man. But like the All Stars Racing series, adding Sonic to the box was done to ensure sales. To be fair though, Sonic makes up a good chunk of the Mega Drive Collection, so its not like it isn't warranted.

Toad.T

Banned
The "voice clips" are ingrained in my head whenever I'm reminded of the game.

eestaa
Eestaa
EESTAA
yippee

Good introduction to Puyo for the west. Wish we didn't have to buy Miku games to get instalments on modern consoles though.

Jawmuncher

Had a lot of fun with this back in the day. Never realized it was the cartoon sonic iterations in it. Guess I had forgot about that.

It's weird, I never gave a shit about Sonic (well, too much of a shit anyway), but I always preferred MBM to Kirby's Avalanche (and Kirby is a big thing for me :v).

I fucking LOVE Puyo Puyo

one of the few puzzle games I am good at and YES

I have beaten Mean Bean Machine

Not quite as hard of a game as an adult

I had this as a kid and I managed to finish it a few times, I had no idea it was regarded as such a difficult game. It's pretty difficult but definitely doable. Also, maaaan that 2 player music is fucking GOAT.

The game gear version has a puzzle mode. I never really got why Nazo puyo modes were never put in Puyo Puyo games but instead made separate games.

It's weird, I never gave a shit about Sonic (well, too much of a shit anyway), but I always preferred MBM to Kirby's Avalanche (and Kirby is a big thing for me :v).
The dialogue in Kirby's Avalanche is so bad. Thank goodness they don't allow to talk anymore.

Zyrox

That was a really fun game. Played through it in one night. Got stuck here and there. The game could be really hard at times.
I remember finally getting to Robotnik, after shedding a lot of tears and sweat. My body was ready for the fight of my life. And then....10 seconds, and it was over. Robotnik bodied himself. I was like "wait what?". After I realized what just happened, I just laughed and was happy that I finally beat the game.
That was a long (but fun) night.

Screw this game! My mum got hooked on it. She would pause the game to make dinner and I wasn't allowed to play MY Mega Drive until she had finished!

Toejam and Earl was the first game she did that with (She completed it before me!) and this was a major one. She was amazing at it. I enjoyed the game and really miss these type of puzzle games.
Would make an excellent no frills mobile game.

Exploit the 3 saves, you get a preview of whats coming up then roll back to act on it making the next save when you get a good combo off.

MrNelson

Banned

I somehow managed to get it after trying for 5 years on and off. I am awful at Puyo Puyo and I still don't know how I managed to pull it off.

Piccoro

Cool game. Introduced many westerners to the Puyo Puyo franchise.

Also, Sonic Spinball for the genesis also had AoStH characters:

bonus3.png

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You have to beat Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine to get a huge achievement in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Mind you, I'm not the best at Puyo Puyo-type games and I really disliked playing this one, but I wanted to finish off all of the UGC achievements. I managed to do it ... but only by pausing every second or two during that last boss so I could catch my breath and survey the field. Cheating? Yes, a bit, but damnit I did what had to be done to compensate for my own shortcomings.

I wonder if I'd even be able to beat the game these days, despite doing it several times as a kid.

I'd be real sad if I just didn't have the skills anymore :(

Top Bottom