• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akira Saito, M2 programming genius, dead at age 43

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So this bit of sad and depressing news just came over the wire.

Patrick Romano ‏@32shot 50m50 minutes ago

Patrick Romano Retweeted 有限会社エムツー

Akira Saito, programming genius behind many of M2's high quality products, has died age 43...

Patrick Romano added,
有限会社エムツー @M2_game
弊社 齊藤彰良の訃報について | 有限会社エムツー http://www.mtwo.co.jp/blog/2016/02/2

Robin64

So this bit of sad and depressing news just came over the wire.

:(

YO: There’s this gentleman who’s really been a main player behind the scenes for the 3D Remaster Project. His name is Saito-san*, a programmer who we’ve spoken about in the interviews before. Had he not been around, this project may have never existed.

* Akira Saito: A programmer at M2. He often comes up in relation to the sound work.

From here.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
安らかに眠れ.

HUELEN10

God no, no no no no NO.

A terrible loss for his family, his friends, and retro gaming and emulation in general.

Jazzem

Dammit :( M2 have made put old some wonderful retro releases, showing a meticulous attention to detail in reproducing the originals faithfully while updating them in surprising and exciting ways. How sad to lose such a passionate talent...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Ugh. Way too young to go. Hope his talents rubbed off well on those around him at M2.

Saoshyant

Bloody hell, this came out of nowhere. As a big fan of retro, M2 has always been my go to in whatever project they were involved, including the Sega Ages lineup on the PS2, I imported all the titles they worked on.

It's going to be a pretty big blow for their studio; they are rather small and Akira Saito sounds like he was one of their big guns. A tremendous loss for his family, first and foremost, but also for the gaming world. RIP.

ash_ag

Terrible news. Rest in peace and condolences to his close ones. :(
His incredible work will continue to be celebrated for years to come.

Cancer :(

The man must have worked long and hard hours to carry off the feats of programming he did.

I hope we don't start to see more and more game industry folks dying off young from so much overwork and crunch. This industry (as well as the anime industry, among others) has a serious problem with overworking very bright people to the point that they neglect their health.

jennetics

They are renowned as being one of the top producers of emulated games, for example they were the ones who were behind the 3D classics line of games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_(game_developer)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_(game_developer)

They're basically the best professional emulation studio

Ah...I see, thanks. Always sad to hear about hard-working people in the community passing away, especially so early in life. My condolences.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Goddamn, if you know something was ported by M2 you know you had a quality port and it's sad to lose someone so skilled at what they do. I wish his family and friends well.

Very sad news. He will be greatly missed! Way too young.

I've felt that in many ways that M2 has kept some of the magic of old SEGA alive. Thank you Saito-san.

-shadow-

Terrible loss. The company is without a doubt the best in its field (console emulation). Best towards the family and friends! :(

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
The 3D classics games are some of the very best games you can get on the 3DS. Thanks for everything Akira... RIP.

Heartbreaking. Getting a 3DS is worth it for the SEGA 3D Classics alone. As soon as you fire them up, you can feel how much love and hard work was put into them. RIP

Top Bottom