• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division sets new Ubisoft launch day sales records

Nibel

The Division is breaking records. Ubisoft announced today that its third-person action-RPG has sold more copies in its first 24 hours than any game in Ubisoft’s history. Total digital full game sales of The Division also set new, single-day company records across PC, Xbox One, PS4.

“The launch of The Division is a tremendous achievement for Ubisoft, and demonstrates our unrivaled capacity to create fantastic new game brands and transform them into entertainment blockbusters,” said Yves Guillemot, co-founder and CEO, Ubisoft. “This is a momentous day for Ubisoft, but more importantly it marks the start of millions of players’ enduring engagement in The Division’s game world, which we are confident they will love.”

With the initial success of The Division, Ubisoft now has three of the top four most successful new game brand launches in the history of the gaming industry.

Source (Ubisoft blog)

Platy

Ubisoft now has three of the top four most successful new game brand launches in the history of the gaming industry.

Including Watch Dogs, that is totaly set in the Assasin's Creed world and TOM CLANCY'S The Division.

New game brands

By comparison, their second best is now going to be Watch Dogs, which sold 4 million units worldwide in a week.

Destiny, by comparison, sold 5 million copies in the first week.

Including Watch Dogs, that is totaly set in the Assasin's Creed world and TOM CLANCY'S The Division.

New game brands

To be fair, the Watch Dogs connection with AC is tiny and does anyone even notice when games say "Tom Clancy" before the actual name anymore?

Hasney

Nope, Destiny still #1, but it looks like it beat Watch_Dogs the previous #2.

Be interesting to see (if we find out) if PS4+XB1 for Destiny out did Division or not. Those last gen versions didn't do bad in launch week, at least here in the UK.

New game brands

To be fair, I don't think Tom Clancy's name had a big impact on The Division sales. The same is valid for Assassin's Creed/Watch Dogs.

Kathian

Banned
As we learned with Watch Dogs its what comes next that's really going to matter to the brand. Honestly I don't get the extreme buzz but can't be for everyone I guess.

Game is fun solo and epic with friends.

edit:Dat PC user base though
4.jpg

Nothing will top Destiny... that game was hyped but to me that game was pure shit after picking it up launch and it failed on all hyped/expectations.

To each their own. I love Destiny and yes vanilla was a let down bUT imo year one in Destiny is still better then Year 2 which was a step back. Vault of Glass is still the single beat raid/coop in that game.

THE DIVISON is a great game though. BUNGIE could learn a lot from Massive about how to create a MMO light with good social aspects. I expect great things from Destiny 2 because imo The Divison has set a new bar for these type of games.

Destiny was on PS3 and 360 as well though so maybe that has a role in this?

Destiny wasn't on PC though like The Division is.

Wallach

Be interesting to see (if we find out) if PS4+XB1 for Destiny out did Division or not. Those last gen versions didn't do bad in launch week, at least here in the UK.

I don't really recall how much PS3+X360 moved for Destiny on launch day. I'm curious to see how that sum compares to the PC version of The Division.

Cels

assassin's creed (2007) still holds a spot as one of the top 4 new game brand launches in history? surprised it hasn't been topped yet

with the other three being destiny, watchdogs, and now the division

Lingitiz

Glad to hear it. The ideas in the game might not be the most innovative, but it's still good to see big publishers pursuing new IP. Watchdogs wasn't great but I still appreciate the effort in trying to establish a new brand rather than re-purposing AC, Farcry, or something like Ghost Recon and RB6.

Man, after my first day playing yesterday and having an absolute blast, I'm glad it's a success after all these years of worry and doubt. Here's to hoping post-launch support of the game is strong and timely, and I sincerely hope that most of the players that picked up the game are enjoying it as much as I am. Don't think I've been this excited entering a MMO launch since WoW's debut in 2004 -- it's just hitting or exceeding most of my expectations so far, though honestly (and perhaps unfairly) I started getting doubts when it was taking so long to come out and Destiny's initial woes didn't instill a lot of faith in hybrid-genre massive multiplayer games like this one.

Bedlam

I'm still sceptical.

Lots of release hype going on currently but what I heard is that it makes a really good first impression but becomes very monotonuous after a couple of hours. Like basically every AAA Ubisoft game.

viHuGi

Banned
They should have gone with Ps4 for marketing, Destiny sold alot just from Bundles.

Still great achievement!

Ryng_tolu

Banned
THAT'S AWESOME!

Just bought the game today, and so far i really like it. :)

P.S
Watch_Dogs sold 4 million first week... looks like The Division is over that.

Buburibon

Well deserved. I'm actually shocked at how much I've been enjoying it. Shooters with heavy emphasis on online play are usually not my cup of tea at all, but like I said I'm enjoying this immensely.

I'm still sceptical.

Lots of release hype going on currently but what I heard is that it makes a really good first impression but becomes very monotonuous after a couple of hours. Like basically every AAA Ubisoft game.

That was my feeling, but that's just me, everything felt meh for me. The setting would get tiring quickly too for me and dark zones are not near enough for end game loot content. People seem to like it though so eh, maybe it's just me.

To each their own. I love Destiny and yes vanilla was a let down bUT imo year one in Destiny is still better then Year 2 which was a step back. Vault of Glass is still the single beat raid/coop in that game.

THE DIVISON is a great game though. BUNGIE could learn a lot from Massive about how to create a MMO light with good social aspects. I expect great things from Destiny 2 because imo The Divison has set a new bar for these type of games.

Destiny wasn't on PC though like The Division is.

If I had to wait a whole year for a game to get good. Then yeah I ain't got time for that.

Top Bottom