• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worried about Capcom's 2017 Support for Street Fighter 5

The world doesn't need another Street Fighter 5 thread, but I know this has to worrisome to a lot of people.

We all know Capcom messed up with the bare bones release, but the overall game play is amazing. I know people will continue to play SF5 for years to come, but I'm worried Capcom won't support this game after 2017 if sales don't pick up. I mean, yes, we have Alex coming this month and the five other fighters throughout 2016, but they have already been planned out. I've been really hoping for characters to return like Sean, Dan, Q, Cody, or even new characters that use the modified move sets from the Tekken cast in SF x T.

Supposedly SF5 hasn't even sold 500,000 copies yet while Capcom wanted to have 2 million copies sold by the end of March 2016. I'm staying hopeful that with the promise of new free modes and support of the FGC can give this game a better word of mouth, but the damage here is major. Hopefully in the long run SF5 can be a financial success with continued support, because I don't want to have another generation with almost no new Capcom fighters.

Actually the support in long term is probably the only way to make money now.

There's absolutely going to be a "complete edition" that includes all the DLC and stuff on disc*. It's pretty much the only way they can spin this into a good thing for casual consumers later down the line.

*They'll maintain the technicality of "no Super SFV" because it won't feature anything exclusive to the new disc. Just the base game and its already-available DLC.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I'm sure they'll do a retail re-release early 2017 with all the season 1 content packed in, if that doesn't sell well then yea we probably won't see a season 2.

Malice215

I wouldn't be worried. Long term support is where the game will make its money. Otherwise we can look forward to more Resident Evil re-re-releases.

What I think they need to do is back some sort of public concession, and probably quite soon. A clear statement that they've made some poor choices in how SFV was handled and that they'll strive to do better, and possibly include some sort of incentive. (A free character or something.) I know Ono has made a few tweets, but I think they need to address the elephant in the room head on.

I really want SFV to succeed, but Capcom and Sony have only themselves to blame for its current state. If they honestly want to make this into a profitable venture, and one that can be used to ensure the future of the series, they need to do much more then they are currently doing.

MrDaravon

Maybe they should consider adding Naruto in DLC season 2

lol

In all seriousness though I think Sony has enough invested in it where we will get at least a second full season bare minimum. Also the game will likely have a long tail as it continues to be incredibly popular in the tournament scene and get more eyes on it that way as well; IIRC last year Evo had over 2 million unique viewers and they've already shattered registration records 4+ months in advance. Tournaments/weeklies have been huge so far, Final Round 19 next week is on track to more than double last year's attendance for the game over USF4 (and last year IIRC FR was the biggest non-Evo tournament for USF4?) to the point where they announced tonight they're having to run pools for SFV from 8 am to midnight Saturday and that's only going to get it down to top 128 which will have to run all day Sunday, which is madness.

tl;dr - SFV is blowing up the competitive scene in a crazy way with both players and viewers, so long term I think the game will be a success. They lost some percentage of players with shit launch, but between the tail and re-releasing a disc next year that comes with all of the DLC to date on it I think they can make up for it at the end of the day.

Also depending on how much people spend in real money on the in-game shop the game may wind up being a big enough revenue stream for them to justify it.

Miker

I could see it going free to play once it has enough content, with a complete edition $60 bundle for those who want it.

Producer

I would wait a few more weeks before getting worried. They havent opened the shop yet where i imagine they'll be making their money for the next several years. Of course first they need to add stuff for people to buy lol.

Rockk

I don't think many people realize just how much money DLC stores make. There's likely there to be even more support in 2017.

But according to some people that's exactly what they wanted, this version of SFV is for the competitive community so they must've already knew what would happen right?

I bet they'll try another marketing push come holiday with a complete edition. Get everyone in that wanted all the missing content and give them all the paid content for one discounted price.

Mubbed

They'll likely give the game another shot at retail when they release it with an arcade mode this holiday season or early 2017.

Reset

But according to some people that's exactly what they wanted, this version of SFV is for the competitive community so they must've already knew what would happen right?

It's ok. Even if no one else buys the game, the costume/paid dlc will save it. :]]]

KAL2006

Banned
They need to do a Mortal Kombat and start adding guests to reel the casuals in

Goku from Dragonball Z
Tifa from Final Fantasy VII

Then fan favourites
Akuma
Sagat

Finally a Super retail release with Season 1 packed in.

And a huge Gameplay update, multiple V Triggers or CAs or V Skills. And EX V Skills.

HardRojo

New marketing push and release another disc version of the game that contains all Season 1 DLC plus costumes and advertise all modes and stuff added throughout the year. PS4 and PC exclusivity will stay and they will have kept their no "Super" version promise or whatever, which isn't necessary to be honest, as they only need to make sure the initial disc is usable.

too many people who didn't buy the game or never would have bought the game on a mission for it to fail because no arcade mode, because they hate capcom, or because they hate losing online.

The most ridiculous outrage of the year. It's a great game and more people should be playing it.

Verendus

Banned
What I think they need to do is back some sort of public concession, and probably quite soon. A clear statement that they've made some poor choices in how SFV was handled and that they'll strive to do better, and possibly include some sort of free incentive. (A free character or something.) I know Ono has made a few tweets, but I think they need to really address the elephant in the room head on.

I really want SFV to succeed, but Capcom and Sony have only themselves to blame for its current state. If they honestly want to make this into a profitable venture, and one that can be used to ensure the future of the series, they need to do much more then they are currently doing.
Hold on a second there right quick.

Don't blame the shepherd because the sheep ain't got its shit in order. How many sheep are there in this world? One shepherd can't herd all their shit. It's too much shit. Sony ain't Jesus. There ain't no good shepherd here. There's no concern over this game's long-term future. It'll be fine. One small thing happens and people start singing their own rendition of Jay Sean's "Down".

How about we get a better song for once? Like Bill Conti's "Going The Distance". You heard of that? It was in Rocky.

Rocky.

Asd202

Yeah I thought about getting the season pass and save the FM for season 2 but now there may not even be a season 2 so all that FM would be usless.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't doubt a Season 2, after all Killer Instinct continues to pump out new content. It's Season 3 which I am doubting.

Hold on a second there right quick.

Don't blame the shepherd because the sheep ain't got its shit in order. How many sheep are there in this world? One shepherd can't herd all their shit. It's too much shit. Sony ain't Jesus. There ain't no good shepherd here. There's no concern over this game's long-term future. It'll be fine. One small thing happens and people start singing their own rendition of Jay Sean's "Down".

How about we get a better song for once? Like Bill Conti's "Going The Distance". You heard of that? It was in Rocky.

Rocky.
You don't think Sony shares any part of the blame for the game's current state?

Or is this a patented Verendus hidden message?

They're going to have a gang of characters, stages, and gameplay tweaks. Do you really expect Capcom to only show up with a year's worth of content?

catmincer

too many people who didn't buy the game or never would have bought the game on a mission for it to fail because no arcade mode, because they hate capcom, or because they hate losing online.

The most ridiculous outrage of the year. It's a great game and more people should be playing it.

It's really not. Some people live in countries like myself nowhere near anyone else. Online gaming is dumb especially for fighters due to lag and a small population means nobody local to fight with. As such I like fighting games but I only play offline. So an arcade mode for me is essential.

did driveclub do worse than SF5 release month?

Sony is still supporting driveclub with content and it was without a doubt a worse package than Street Fighter 5 is at launch, at least now that the servers are working.

I think if they see a future for it they will continue to develop it. Driveclub is actually a really good case for them to follow. A Street Fighter 5 PS+ version that has 3 characters and online play would be a good value, and buy the full game for $30 or something.

Xav

I've said it before and stand by my opinion.

Street Fighter V is fucked and needs to go free to play if they plan to support it long term.

HardRojo

I don't think they need a f2p version, it'd be better for Capcom to get sales upfront by releasing a new disc with DLC that doesn't render the initial disc useless. In my opinion f2p would probably be a bad idea, but I'd have to read a bit about how it works for KI.

The money is supposed to come from cosmetic sales. They haven't opened up the store and unleashed the barrage of premium costumes yet. That being said having a much smaller playerbase than they were hoping for is gonna hurt that. The game probably needs a price drop if they want to go the cosmetic microtransaction route.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It'll be fine.

Sales will start to pick up after evo and when the story stuff gets added.

The game is good, word of mouth will spread.

JayEH

If they just go all out with DLC ala MOBAs (announcer packs, colors, costumes, etc.) I think they will be fine long term. In fact that's the only way they'll be fine. They need to milk the hardcore players they have now for all they've got. So I wouldn't worry about Capcom dropping the game unless they are completely crazy (which might be possible).

Top Bottom