• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do not purchase Hitman...

UPDATE - 15/03

Seems like they have no plans on adding offline support, despite that being the biggest thing being thrown at the game in its current state...

Lequu ‏@Lequu324 1h1 hour ago
@Hitman Any word when/if youre going to remove online only system (apart from leaderboards, thats understandable)? Also optimizations on pc?

HITMAN ‏@Hitman 1h1 hour ago
@Lequu324 We don't have any plans to, we're working to get the servers up and running for everyone.

Kinda wishing I can get my $60 back now...can't believe they're letting bullshit ruin a genuinely good game. The PC userbase bailed on the game already, peaking at >13,000 users on Steam over the weekend, probably because of the "Early Access" miasma and now this. How are they ever going to recoup the cost if people may just stop at the start?

Yup, do not buy this game if you haven't already.

The server issues are bad enough, but the decision to include what's essentially DRM for single player is a practice that simply can't be supported and the developers need to taken to task for this monumentally idiotic decision.

Some details.

The single player is basically split into online and offline. If you're playing onffline, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UNLOCK WEAPONS, ENTRY POINTS OR UPGRADES. The game has separate saves for online and offline and worst all...if you're playing online and you lose connection due to server issues, YOU WILL BE KICKED BACK TO THE MAIN MENU. You have no choice in this, you will be booted back to the menu...

Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obyqZ_XAxe8

What hell were they thinking with this bullshit...

Don't support shitty practices.

QaaQer

Only way to keep leaderboards hack free I guess. What is available online and not off, aside from leaderboards? Can you choose to playoffline for all the missions?

Stike

Well, the actual full game will come out on disk in January 2017, might as well wait for this then...

Gamezone

Gold Member
As long as I can enjoy the store mode offline I'm fine. As far as I know, you can. Still hate online functions that might impact my single player though.

stuminus3

This has been standard for years. Diablo 2 works like this. Slow down, sir, you're going to give yourself skin failure!

BibiMaghoo

The situation is not great, but the game is excellent, so I do not agree. They need to fix it for the challenges to be offline.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's a fantastic game. Fixes every misstep they took with Absolution, and keeps the good innovations. I'm loving this game. They also clearly tell you about the differences when you play offline and online. But you can still play offline just fine. The online integration is so cool though, there's so much that they're doing with their live team.

Man, the game is GREAT. Highly recommended even if you'll always play offline.

I'm not that familiar with the Hitman series, but are leaderboards an important part of these games?
In this one and Absolution to a lesser extent, absolutely. Online contracts mode is incredibly awesome and a big piece of the game.

Couldn't agree more.

Never played Hitman but I liked the beta so I thought I would give the $15 intro pack a go.

Shitty Always Online stuff.
A lack of content and variety even for 15 bucks
Features missing from early demos (suitcases / sneaking weapons passed security)

I have zero intention of buying more unless they have a big change of direction.

yeah that sound stupid. This whole episode model does really not fit to a Hitman game. They should have treated it like a normal game. From what I've heard it could have been an amazing Hitman game then.
This will certainly piss some people off. Square Enix is making so many stupid decisions lately it's a shame.

RPGam3r

Huh at first I wanted to rebel and say I'll buy what I want! But that actually sounds terrible.

Saved me some money so thank you, sounds similar to the same shitty thing some people are experiencing with SFV.

Xater

Don't worry as soon as I heard about these issues and the PS4 load times I decided to not get it. I'll wait until the whole thing is out and how it works then.

sn00zer

Game is fucking amazing, so Im gunna disagree. This sort of thing should not be a deal breaker for everyone right of the bat.

phanboy4

yeah that sound stupid. This whole episode model does really not fit to a Hitman game. They should have treated it like a normal game. From what I've heard it could have been an amazing Hitman game then.
This will certainly piss some people off. Square Enix is making so many stupid decisions lately it's a shame.

I actually think the episodic format is ideal for Hitman.

All of the games have always pretty much been large, self-contained missions taking place in different locations and at different times, linked together tenuously by small cutscenes. Literally the perfect format for chunking up into episodes.

The situation is not great, but the game is excellent, so I do not agree. They need to fix it for the challenges to be offline.

Pretty much. Honestly, I think they just need to iron out their server issues like pretty much any game with an online component right at launch.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I absolutely love the core gameplay but I hate that I have to agree with Miles. I had to beat it offline since it wouldn't let me stay connected and kept booting me to the main menu. Promptly deleted it off my PS4 and won't be touching any of the future episodes unless this online only bullshit is removed.

Ludens

Banned
I would add PS4 version has six exclusive contracts, it's not clear if this is a timed exclusive or whatever, but still is bad enough (at least for me) to wait for a 75% off or more.
I simply hate exclusive contents related to a platform.

UrbanRats

if you're playing online and you lose connection due to server issues, YOU WILL BE KICKED BACK TO THE MAIN MENU. You have no choice in this, you will be booted back to the menu...
Isn't this what happens with Souls games? Anyway, sounds like a whole lot of bollocks, thanks for the heads up, OP.

BibiMaghoo

I would add PS4 version has six exclusive contracts, it's not clear if this is a timed exclusive or whatever, but still is bad enough (at least for me) to wait for a 75% off or more.

They are just targets in existing levels, no different from a random 'contract' mode within that level. Nothing new is really added. Honestly, you are not missing out on anything.

Axial

I'm a big HITMAN fan, the whole episodic content release structure was allready a turn off and I decided to wait with a purchase until they ship a full release during the end of 2016.
But now this? Seperate singleplayer progression for online and offline play? Fuck that.

Wait, so....why play online?

What advantages does that give?

Contracts, Challenges, Leaderboards are all online. Contracts is a pretty large part of the game, and Challenges are important as completing them helps you unlock new weapons, insertion points, and agency pickup sites.

Klyka

Banned
Contracts, Challenges, Leaderboards are all online. Contracts is a pretty large part of the game, and Challenges are important as completing them helps you unlock new weapons, insertion points, and agency pickup sites.

Ah I see. That sucks then.

Top Bottom