• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division had biggest first week ever for a new game franchise ($330M in 5 days)

dex3108

The Division launch smashed Ubisoft’s single-day records, and now it’s surpassed a few more. Ubisoft announced today that The Division is not only the company’s best-selling game, but also that it had the biggest first week ever for a new game franchise, generating $330 million* globally in its first five days.

Ubisoft also revealed some of The Division’s record-breaking engagement stats: There were 1.2 million peak concurrent users over the weekend, and over 100 million hours played in the first week. “On top of record-breaking sales, player engagement is the highest ever for any Ubisoft title, demonstrating, among other things, that our investments in our online infrastructure and services are paying off,” said Stephanie Perotti, vice president of online services at Ubisoft. “We are delivering an online experience that’s on par with the best in the industry, and that matches the quality and connectivity demanded by The Division and its players.”

http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-has-biggest-first-week-ever-for-new-game-franchise/

Delete if it is old :D

Venom Fox

Banned
Great news, let's hope content is released faster than Destiny to keep it fresh!

Sold out everywhere, we've had a lot of disappointed people at my CEX store.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Great game, well deserved.

And it's unfortunate that this thread will be filled with 2000000 Destiny comparisons.

Grief.exe

Great news, let's hope content is released faster than Destiny to keep it fresh!

They better have some significant content already in the pipeline.

People will be getting out of the honeymoon period soon and I get the impression the Dark Zone is the only content left to hold them over.

I've seen how quickly forums can flip on a new game after the initial shine wears off. It happens fast, and it's not pretty.

SFenton

Was utterly disappointed by Destiny and I'm absolutely enthralled, engaged with, and excited about playing The Division.

Fucking great game, Ubisoft. I *love* it.

Venom Fox

Banned
Great game, well deserved.

And it's unfortunate that this thread will be filled with 2000000 Destiny comparisons.
It's kind of competing directly with Destiny so the comparisons are quite valid, especially any comparisons of sales data.

I didn't actually think it'd beat Destiny's record. We'll deserved is an understatement.

People will be getting out of the honeymoon period soon and I get the impression the Dark Zone is the only content left to hold them over.
I hope so too, they have 3 expansions coming up but I hope they add in more, hopefully with the sales this game is generating they'll revise the Season Pass or something.

How many of those 100 million hours were spent trying to walk past someone doing jumping jacks in the safe zone?

But seriously, good for Ubi. Launching on 3 platforms is clearly a boon to sales and the reviews for it have been good. I just don't see myself getting into it or a while, given what I played in the 2 betas.

If you read carefully it looks like they're saying their concurrency was the the thing that had the biggest first week ever for a new IP, not the sales.

They should thank Bungie for that. I'd wager, based on the big Twitch Destiny streamers and other discussions I've observed, that Destiny has (had?) a huge fanbase looking for more and The Division was the great hope.

Impressive

Only playing it single player I found the game boring and repetitive enemy type wise but that can be fixed. Apart from that, game looks and plays outstanding on PC. And its great that the PC version came out same day as console.

Shin-chan

I wonder how the volume compares between The Division (PS4, Xbox one and PC) to Destiny (Ps4, PS3, Xbox one and 360).

I don't doubt in terms of revenue that PC for the former is greater than last gen for the latter, so I wonder if it actually sold more than Destiny on PS4 and Xbox One.

1.2 million CCU. Good fuckin' god.

Well, we know what #1 on NPD's software list for March is.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus of course.
/s
In all seriousness though wow guess this game scratched that MMO-lite itch for a lot of people. Guess this will be the new it-game subgenre we will see a million of in the near future.

Very, very impressive. Well deserved too, few games have ever made me want to replay missions on hard immediately after completing them on normal, I'll probably run through everything on challenging too when I hit level 30.

Now they've just gotta make some tweaks to the dark zone and keep the content coming and this could be the go to game for many for a long time.

Great. I'm really enjoying it. If they want to keep those engagement numbers they better keep up with new content. They should also send bungie a thank you note for being so slow.

They had last gen support though

Its gonna be hard to play Destiny 2 on console 30 fps after playing Division 1080p 60 fps on PC - which looks and plays amazingly well.

I really hope Bungie are including PC for 2, and using a new engine (ie no longer PS3/360)

Venom Fox

Banned
I wonder how the volume compares between The Division (PS4, Xbox one and PC) to Destiny (Ps4, PS3, Xbox one and 360).

I don't doubt in terms of revenue that PC for the former is greater than last gen for the latter, so I wonder if it actually sold more than Destiny on PS4 and Xbox One.

I would hope so being that there are only 3 platforms vs four. It makes sense that considering last Gen is left in the cold, next gen sales would have been greater.

In terms of revenue, I'd say that Destiny last gen sales probably beats Divisions PC current Gen sales.

I've seen how quickly forums can flip on a new game after the initial shine wears off. It happens fast, and it's not pretty.

Like they care about forums when they're raking in that much cash?

Nokterian

Fuck yes. Well deserved. Amazing game.

Exactly..loving the PC version some areas are downright creepy but tell a story on it's own.

tomclancysthedivisionq6oty.jpg

tomclancysthedivisionxkq4a.jpg

tomclancysthedivisiondwpgm.jpg

tomclancysthedivisionisrbh.jpg

tomclancysthedivisionq2p80.jpg

tomclancysthedivisionubpjo.jpg

Clearly you missed the news on this one grief...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_qUtFkdPEk

What are the DLC plans and estimated release dates for the DLC? Worth waiting to get the season pass until a sale? Cause the Battlefront season pass was on sale before any of the DLC content was released which was a big kick in the nuts.

MildSoss

If you read carefully it looks like they're saying their concurrency was the the thing that had the biggest first week ever for a new IP, not the sales.
It's okay, bro. Luke Smith is gonna be okay, he just needs to make more dances that will get us to toss money at our screens.

Didn't Ubisoft also break the record for best selling new IP with Watch_Dogs, and before that with Assassin's Creed? Damn, Ubisoft is pretty much competing with itself right now.

dugdug

Banned
“We are delivering an online experience that’s on par with the best in the industry, and that matches the quality and connectivity demanded by The Division and its players.”

Connectivity, sure, but, quality? I mean...OK? How does your game's connection to the internet measure up against another game's connection?

Deku Tree

Division first week sales: $330 million
Destiny first week sales: $325 million

It's in the first few posts of the topic.

dex3108

Didn't Ubisoft also break the record for best selling new IP with Watch_Dogs, and before that with Assassin's Creed? Damn, Ubisoft is pretty much competing with itself right now.

Out of Top 5 new IPs 3 are from Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs and The Division).

Top Bottom