• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Angry Joe Review

Some Nobody

Well, this thread is going to get a lot of attention. I wonder if his complaints are PC based? Either way, can't wait to check it out...tomorrow, after I've slept and can handle him yelling at a game for 25-40 lol.

Average huh? While its not my cup of tea the portions I did play were fairly well done for what they were. Not amazing but hardly average. Even the performance was pretty good.

jdmonmou

Wow. For me it's the best game of the generation so far... So who's right him or me?
Neither, it's just opinions.

I agree with Joe's review. Ubisoft games for me seem to be close to being good but always lack a certain je ne sais quoi.

Aters

How can it be average? Like for all the games released this year, this game is worse than half of them?

Leyasu

Banned
[

He's got a huge audience and you don't matter.

I don't give a shit about scores and am enjoying the game :D

So true. Shame people are put off of things by other peoples opinions. The division is straight up awesome.

I also enjoyed Ryse

Maximo

Neither, it's just opinions.

I agree with Joe's review. Ubisoft games for me seem to be close to being good but always lack a certain je ne sais quoi.

Its funny I have seen that mentioned before, I feel the same its like their almost missing some sort of passion or *soul"* in a really silly way to put it.

Did this video really need to be over a half hour? I lost interest after 10 minutes. Joe is great at taking a lot of time to say relatively little.

AHA-Lambda

Honeymoon for The Division is quickly eroding it seems.

Just finished it yesterday after 20 hours, and tbh I can totally see why, I've already had enough.

KingJ2002

In the past i would have argued this... but over time i'm starting to really see this game replay value as limiting and understand why it's hard for people to be interested.

For example... The Division is a huge, empty world and traversing it is boring... for people coming off of destiny and used to riding around in a sparrow... running through alleys is boring and a good excuse to put the game down and play something else.

Second... the missions are not as engaging as the missions in other titles like Final Fantasy, Destiny or Borderlands. Even on hard mode.. the enemies are well armored but it's kinda rinse and repeat and I don't really care to play through those missions again... unlike Destiny where I played the same missions and strikes for damn near 2 years... i put in so many hours i'm almost disgusted with myself.

https://wastedondestiny.com/playstation/kingj2002 (I played a months worth of destiny and im in the top 33%... i almost want to cry)

Overall... I still think the Division is a good game but I can see why others aren't getting into it or seeing them hit level 30... then move on to the next title.

Its funny I have seen that mentioned before, I feel the same its like their almost missing some sort of passion or *soul"* in a really silly way to put it.

^^this... IMO Assassins Creed 2 had it... then they sucked it right out with each iteration. Haven't seen it in a ubisoft game since.

SomTervo

Maybe because its a bland loot treadmill with a wafer thin forgettable plot?

That's how i'd describe Destiny. Imo The Division has far more compelling gunfights, co-op and level design. Amazing worldbuilding (even if the story is mediocrity).

It's only bland if you play it all on Normal and singleplayer. Co-op and on harder difficulties it's brilliant, legit Rainbow Six vibes

PS Joe totally entitled to his opinion, though. I can see what he'd find mediocre, because at it's very core it's just that. It only comes junto it's own with a couple of friends. (That couldnt even save destiny for me.)

HariKari

Wow. For me it's the best game of the generation so far... So who's right him or me?

What does the Division do better than any other game?

The Division has far more compelling gunfights

I'd argue the opposite. Ubisoft has managed to create a game with some of the least compelling gunplay ever. Considering that it never really changes, that's a huge problem.

Shin-chan

Because (even if this is not actually true) they come off as the most check box driven designed games of almost any publisher and feel formulaic in the sense that Ubisoft game = a + b / c and this is the equation all of their studios follow.

Which is a shame because they do have some good ideas, but nothing ever feels like it amounts to anything to me. Oh well.

Tainted

Something is seriously wrong with AJ's PC setup there...in my 50+ hrs, I never experienced that texture glitching once

I haven't played much but I kinda agree with the score, I'm having fun but at the same time I kind of feel like I'm missing something (which is probably the dark zone, because I personally don't see the appeal of it but know why others do)

HariKari

Ease of playing
Worldbuilding
Atmosphere

Ease of playing? What the hell does that mean? If you mean the game lacks variety in the enemies, gunplay, and skills, sure. I suppose that would make for an 'easy' game. The singleplayer is no more complicated than other Ubisoft "clear the map of icons" titles.

Worldbuilding would generally include backstory and writing. Given the E3 gameplay and story trailers, they massively under-delivered.

Atmosphere is good, but it could have been so much better.

Something is seriously wrong with AJ's PC setup there...in my 50+ hrs, I never experienced that texture glitching once

SLI issue.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'd argue the opposite. Ubisoft has managed to create a game with some of the least compelling gunplay ever. Considering that it never really changes, that's a huge problem.

You have no one but yourself to blame for that.

The game gives plenty options to change up gunplay. Perks, skills, weapon types. If you feel that the gunplay never changes, it's because you yourself never change your tactics.

deoee

Ease of playing? What the hell does that mean? If you mean the game lacks variety in the enemies, gunplay, and skills, sure. I suppose that would make for an 'easy' game. The singleplayer is no more complicated than other Ubisoft "clear the map of icons" titles.

Worldbuilding would generally include backstory and writing. Given the E3 gameplay and story trailers, they massively under-delivered.

Atmosphere is good, but it could have been so much better.

SLI issue.

I won't argue with you cause you have already formed your opinion and clearly don't like the game and it would turn this thread into the same shitfest the review thread became.

I edited my post for you.

Lord.of.War

Neo Member
That's how i'd describe Destiny. Imo The Division has far more compelling gunfights, co-op and level design. Amazing worldbuilding (even if the story is mediocrity).

It's only bland if you play it all on Normal and singleplayer. Co-op and on harder difficulties it's brilliant, legit Rainbow Six vibes

I don't play Destiny so the comparison is meaningless to me and not a compelling rationalisation for The Division's tediousness and monotony. And I don't see how playing on harder difficulties makes it any less bland....the same recycled enemies require more bullets in the same recycled scenarios/instances which largely comprises going to point A...kill enemies....go to point B....defend area and kill more enemies....go to point C....kill enemies. Yeah, doesn't make it anymore exciting.

EGOMON

I would take a gamer word over "professional journalist" any day.
Glad I didn't fall into that review thread hype

Klyka

Banned
Was he angry about it?

Edit - no, don't tell me. Don't want to ruin the surprise.

He was definitely Joe

Also, in this thread, people who like the game will talk with people who don't like the game about how the game is good/bad
Meanwhile, people who never played the game will post inbetween

Trickster

Score seems fair based on what I've played of it. It's very pretty and shit, but the core of the game is extremely repetitive and overall just a very ubisoft-esque game in regards to it's open world structure

Leyasu

Banned
What does the Division do better than any other game?

If I have to justify my opinion. Then the co-op play on the harder difficulties is amazing. (imo and don't forget just like Joes, this is all just my opinion). The loot grind is great and the main missions/dungeons are fucking ace. The dz I also enjoy. Sometimes people are pricks and other times I have found myself rolling with big squads trying to take down hard mobs.

Say what you want about the division. Just don't try and tell me that I have not had this much fun in years with a game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like this is a perfectly reasonable review for people who aren't into loot games. And unlike everyone else, Joe actually uses the full scale so 5 != shit game.

Top Bottom