• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tidus' voice actor tells "the real story" about THAT laugh (FF X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

The scene has always made perfect sense in context, but everyone just ignores that so they can make fun of it.

Also, it's so weird hearing Tidus' voice coming out of a real human being.

omg this is missing the point again

People REALISE it's supposed to be awkward but it's still bad lol

I feel like it's very dismissive to just say "oh you didn't get it." Nah we get it but it's still a mess

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
No one in their right mind doesn't know that this was on purpose, it was still a horrible cringeworthy moment. The acting in that game is abysmal even when they're trying to have a serious moment.

Caronte

Oh wow, he looks so different now compared to the videos in the DVD of FFX.

And yeah, I don't understand how people don't get this scene.

PaulBizkit

Another thread that's just a youtube link... it would be cool to have some extracts from the video to read on the OT. Many of us are working/at school and can't watch a video.

On topic: HA HA HA.. HA.. HA H..AHAAHAA.

I always think of this scene and how people seem to blindly misinterpret it whenever people go on and on about how bad game writing is.

Especially when it comes to translation and localization.

Edit: This combined with how many times I have read people complain about how emo and sad Tidus is when the entire game is about him being annoyingly optimistic about everything. It is like watching The Fast and The Furious and hearing people online talk about how horrible it is because there wasn't enough cars.

I thought people's problems with it was that it even if it was supposed to be an "awkward laugh" people still found that the laugh was more annoying and generally worse than it could have been to express the same thing?

I personally have no opinion on it. Yes it's annoying, yes I get it, I don't care enough to talk about it though.

Alucrid

Banned
another case of localization gone awry. they should have just had a bird record it like they did in japanese

In the context of the story yeah... it was always obvious its meant to be forced and awkward.

Taking things out of context will do that.

hupla

Hes right that the Japanese version is just as bad like oh boy i think its scarier than the Dubbed version

Edzi

I feel like it's very dismissive to just say "oh you didn't get it." Nah we get it but it's still a mess

Eh, I think a loooot of people don't actually realize that, and even if they do the amount of ridicule that scene gets is laughably over the top.

All the same, it's probably one of the most endearing scenes from FFX (and games, generally)...though obviously for the wrong reason :p

Edzi

I feel that this thread will get ugly soon. Not to mention him mentioning the pronunciation too near the end.

I'll still never call him Teedus.

I think the pronunciation has always been up in the air though, since KH1 and 2 each use a different pronunciation and his Japanese name is technically different (pronounced "Tee-da") which is probably what the voice actors used to determine their English pronunciation. I've always liked how "Tide-us" associates him with water (tide) too.

Mcdohl

I don't get this, I really don't.

I think the scene is good and it makes sense.

I fail to see why it's bad.

Maybe because English is not my native language and I'm not from America has to do with it?

What were they supposed to do? That's how the scene is in Japanese. Blame the original version, not the dub.

I blame both.

But the dub could easily have altered the scene if they wanted to. They did with the ending of the game (the whole "Thank you" -> "I love you" thing).

Fisty

Hilarious this even needed to be explained.

THE CONTEXT FOR THE LAUGH IS IN THE 30 SECONDS PRECEDING THE LAUGH

It is endearing and is a bonding moment between Tidus and Yuna. Characterization. Goofy people act like goofs.

DOWN

Banned

I don't buy this. Y'all claiming you think its bad even in context sound like you are just trying to backtrack and claim you got it so that you don't have to be embarrassed you jumped on the bandwagon for a scene that is unremarkable at worst. The scene is infamous and frequently brought up and that's because it is misunderstood and looked at out of context, not because it was somehow bad at being awkwardly bad on purpose.

The scene makes sense and there's no backlash and lampooning of the scene warranted. It's a mild intentional do-something-awkward moment that the game is fully aware of.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I feel like after I realized how many times they say "y'know?" In that game, that was more distracting than the one laugh scene.

James Arnold Taylor seems like a nice guy but even if the laugh scene was done awkwardly on purpose it doesn't change the fact the voice acting in this game is pretty bad. Hedy Burress embarrassed herself with her "acting". One of the worst lead female voice acting performances ever.

Never understood the hate. I mean, nowadays people GET the context and go "No it's still bad." To me it just comes off as "No it's still bad though! Let me hate this!" Seems irrational.

antitrop

Seems like a really cool guy.

That's straight up Gilbert Gottfried.

another case of localization gone awry. they should have just had a bird record it like they did in japanese

tshZTIB.jpg

Caronte

I blame both.

But the dub could easily have altered the scene if they wanted to. They did with the ending of the game (the whole "Thank you" -> "I love you" thing).

The actors wouldn't have a say in the matter either way, and they are the ones being criticized for this.

The acting itself isn't bad, it's an awkward laugh and acted as such. The decision to write that scene was a bad decision though. I mean if i'm walking about and i hear this adolescent couple trying to laugh as hard as they can as awkwardly as possible i'd cringe so hard my eyes would lose their shine and my soul would leave me then and there in a gruesome display of unnaturally twisted flesh and blood.

Not to praise the acting though because i otherwise don't really remember what it was like.

magawolaz

I don't buy this. Y'all claiming you think its bad even in context sound like you are just trying to backtrack and claim you got it so that you don't have to be embarrassed you jumped on the bandwagon for a scene that is unremarkable at worst. The scene is infamous and frequently brought up and that's because it is misunderstood and looked at out of context, not because it was somehow bad at being awkwardly bad on purpose.

The scene makes sense and there's no backlash and lampooning of the scene warranted. It's a mild intentional do-something-awkward moment that the game is fully aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom