• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Four Months Later, Star Wars Battlefront PC is Dead

So I picked up SW Battlefront expecting it to be a great graphical showcase for my new ultrawide monitor (and because I'm hyped for the digital release of Force Awakens next Friday), but sadly it looks like the population is basically nonexistant. How nonexistant? Here's my lobby after trying to matchmake for 30 minutes:

26012032446_dd321f0472_h.jpg

It's...deader than Titanfall.

Now I know PC multiplayer games always have a much smaller playerbase than the equivalent communities on console, but with the game only being around for 4 months (and with the millions of copies it sold in that time), I would've expected there to at least be some people still playing.

So don't make the same mistake I did. Don't buy Star Wars Battlefront on the PC because at this point, it's basically worthless.

Fat4all

Banned
Seems like the kind of online game where the only way to constantly play solid matches is to find and join an online community and play with them.

Too bad. Anyone know how the console communities are doing?

1. They didn't buy into the game due to the lack of content especially comparative to BFII.

2. DLC fractures the community which is already tiny, so it may be that any remaining BF players are playing the Outer Rim DLC.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This is one of the reasons I think cross play is really important going forward. It can unite some disparate gamers together including those whose platform by itself can't support a decent community. This is true for fighting games which tend to have healthier community on consoles than PC.

Titanfall pc has about the same amount of players as Xbox one, which isn't a lot, but it is still playable. Now that it's on each access if might be even more.

Sad about battlefront though because I'd like to see that game looking nice on PC.

TheYanger

Yes, high end graphic PC is totally a threat.

PC communities have been more fluid and transient for the entire last decade. The only games that stick with huge communities are games that are actually good. See: TF2, WoW, Battlefield, CS:Go, League, Dota, etc.

Crono27

PC communities have been more fluid and transient for the entire last decade. The only games that stick with huge communities are games that are actually good. See: TF2, WoW, Battlefield, CS:Go, League, Dota, etc.

This. X100. Most fps with season passes and lack of contact don't last long with pc gamers.

z3phon

I have a feeling Overwatch will have a huge community on PC too.

wapplew

Yes, I agree.
Just trying to prove those who think console graphic is so behind, they need to update the spec frequently to compete, wrong.

Is the matchmaking bug still in? I've been switching between WA and Supremacy for a few hours with less than 1 minute waits.

Pop is definitely smaller than consoles though.

Yarbskoo

Custom servers and mod support wouldn't hurt either.

Tagyhag

It's...deader than Titanfall.

It's not, but it is pretty dead.

Truth is, no matter how much mainstream appeal a game has, PC players won't flock and stay with a game if it 1. Doesn't have depth and 2. Doesn't having lasting content.

For those kinds of games you run a big risk unless you go with consoles.

TheYanger

Yes, I agree.
Just trying to prove those who think console graphic is so behind, they need to update the spec frequently to compete, wrong.

But they do when it comes to graphics. That's not why Battlefront failed to grow a large community, but the pc version leaves the console ones in the dust. It failed to grow a community by filling the exact same niche as Battlefield, while being a far shittier game. The PC community doesn't respond well to low content games with lots of map pack dlc and the like, because they don't have to. As a PC gamer you're not stuck playing Battlefront and that's it, you could legitimately just keep playing Battlefield 4 for years and keep having cool content for it and it will continue to look better and better as your system improves. Will it look better than Battlefront? No probably not, but it won't look bad and it won't be stuck on an old spec. In fact, it's one fo the huge highlights of the iterative/pc approach to upgrades: Your old shit remains relevent and keeps improving as your machine does, so you're not as compelled to force yourself to play new stuff all the time.

Imagine if Modern Warfare 2 was given away free with brand spanking new graphics for the new consoles to anyone that owned it before, it would immediately shit all over Battlefront as well. and Black Ops 3 most likely.

Once a game loses that initial luster, if it can't keep the critical mass, the large PC multiplayer community will swarm somewhere else.

I have a feeling Overwatch will have a huge community on PC too.

It's a Blizzard title so it'll be YUUUGE on PC. I've actually been debating on getting it for PS4 or PC. It's just coming down to whether I want to play it with controller or mouse+keyboard.

Lingitiz

Yes, high end graphic PC is totally a threat.

The Division is killing it on PC and that game is more demanding than Battlefront.

Battlefront on PC is basically dead because the game doesn't offer much that you can't get from other games on the platform. There's a lot of options out there.

derExperte

So don't make the same mistake I did. Don't buy Star Wars Battlefront on the PC because at this point, it's basically worthless.

Still has a few thousand players, you should be able to find good matches in the popular modes. 8.500 peak isn't dead.

Other games with those numbers are fine and have a healthy community. The problem seems more to be the still shoddy matchmaking combined with no server browser.

therapist

pc players generally are more picky with what they buy - at least from my experience. Which is a bit funny considering you can get games much cheaper on pc.

no way that game is worth full price , and the season pass being also basically full price is just fucking absurd.

Combine that with less players in general(i.e less people who have pc's that can run games like this properly) , Not surprised at all

Graphis arent everything , just look at CSGO

Edit : i almost forgot they also removed the server list and shit , pc gamers dont tend to take well to that kind of thing

mikemandey

I have a very good PC and PS4.. Basically, I buy multiplayer FPS games only on my PS4.. I know that games like Battlefront, Rainbow Six Siege,etc will be dead on PC after a few months. Only Overwatch that I'm planning to play on PC..

spootime

People don't want to play console ports on PC. Games like titanfall / Battlefront are fun on consoles but theres just so many better options available on PC.

Cipherr

Yes, I agree.

Whelp, you are failing at it. And attempting it in what appears to be the wrong thread anyways so. lol...

Did you buy it on Origin less than 48 hours ago?

If so you might be eligible for their Great Game Guarantee, and you may be able to get a refund.

VariantX

http://swbstats.com/

PC: 3,455 (24h peak: 8,411)

I think the game falls even faster than Titanfall and Evolve?

I think BF: Hardline face planted too but slightly slower.

Why would anyone buy Battlefront PC when you can still play Battlefront II PC to this day?

Because despite any mechanical shortcomings, it still trumps pretty much most other games when it comes to presentation. I doubt people bought 970's or 290's just so they could play Battlefront 2 forever.

Zia

People don't want to play console ports on PC. Games like titanfall / Battlefront are fun on consoles but theres just so many better options available on PC.

While I agree that it's tough for a lot of people to rationalize investing in the more casual games when you have several great, cheap or free options on PC with active communities and more than a wading pool's depth (CS:GO, TF2, Unreal Tournament), I'd love the option of booting up something like Battlefront or Titanfall and playing with friends.

I blame Origin, honestly. I know many, many people that seriously play or are involved with games and I can count my encounters with Origin on two fingers: the BF and I playing the Battlefront beta and my brother-in-law buying, then returning, the shoddy PC port of last year's FIFA.

Par Score

Now I know PC multiplayer games always have a much smaller playerbase than the equivalent communities on console, but with the game only being around for 4 months (and with the millions of copies it sold in that time), I would've expected there to at least be some people still playing.

This is demonstrably false for many games, but if you want a community to stick around on PC you need to do a considerably better job than something like the new Battlefront or Titanfall.

Red Hood

Banned
What are the chances the recent cross-online network announcement can be used for Battlefront? That would be awesome for longevity. Every multiplayer multiplatform game from now on gotta use it.

dhlt25

yep, i dropped it months ago, the game was sorely lacking in content and too simplistic for me. Once I got into overwatch first beta it was over for battlefront lol

Finaika

PC gamers has superior taste.

WillyFive

Because despite any mechanical shortcomings, it still trumps pretty much most other games when it comes to presentation. I doubt people bought 970's or 290's just so they could play Battlefront 2 forever.

People with the latest graphics cards are just a small fraction of the PC gaming community, and those type of people have plenty of other games to give their cards something to chew.

Top Bottom