• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant Mudds Super Challenge impressions (3DS/Wii U eShop)

Caq3LtBUUAELAYT.jpg

I just bought Mutant Mudds Super Challenge on 3DS today. I was waiting for MyNintendo to launch so I could get reward points for it, and I got my 10 points so I am happy.

I wanted to post some impressions of the game. It's a 2D platformer for 3DS and Wii U. It just came out a week ago.

It's just like the original Mudds game, just a lot harder. It is to Mutant Mudds like the Lost Levels was to Super Mario.

Some of the levels have really cool design, like this one that is symmetrical and progresses vertically. Others were really cluttered and distracting. I had to turn 3D on to try and distinguish what was on my layer or not. That's because in this game, you jump between the foreground and the background on these little launch pads.

You have 3 power ups, an extended hover, a vertical boost jump and a gun that fires further and faster. I usually use the hover because sometimes it's very helpful. You just press the Jump button again and you stay in the air for longer.

This game requries precise timing for everything. It's very technical. So was the first game, but when they added checkpoints to the original it kind of broke the difficulty of the game a bit. However, checkpoints in both games are optional.

There is no digital manual included except for telling you the game's controls.

For no reason at all, I decided to play through the Ghost levels first. There are 4 "worlds" and a 5th final world I think. The 3rd level in each world is a Ghost level; Mutant Mudds in those levels cannot usually be destroyed unless you pick up a gun in the level which only has 10 shots.

I watched some Let's Plays of the game's creator and designer and he didn't even bother picking up all of the coins as he played the levels. In Super Challenge, these coins are sometimes placed out of your way or even hidden through secret walls. The game usually tips you off that there are hidden jewels by showing a little crack in the wall.

There are 20 secret characters hidden in the game and I'm not sure if playing as them lets you use all 3 power ups like in the original game. I'm hoping so, because I found it a bit more fun.

The 3DS is zoomed in a bit more than I saw when I watched footage of the Wii U version. This game is cross-buy. It's discounted to $8.50 if you own the original first game.

New to MMSC, there are some boss fights at the end of each world. I beat 4 levels in world 3 thinking it would unlock the boss fight, but I still couldn't get into it, so I think I might have to also beat the "secret levels" in the world to fight the boss.

Each level has a hidden level within it that you have to use one of your power-ups to enter. These are Virtual Boy or Game Boy themed levels and I believe each one of these has one of the secret characters in them.

There is no OT for the game, and although a few people talked about it in the Nintendo Downloads community thread, I searched and couldn't find any other threads about it.

Here's the official website for the game: http://www.mutantmudds.com/ and the official Twitter: https://twitter.com/mutantmudds

It has a bit of a different feel. But the actual mechanics are essentially the same, so... yeah, I guess it is.

I only played the event demo with the Ghost boss and a few other levels so it felt the same to me but I didn't really want it to feel differently.

I hear people say it's not a "true sequel" with anything totally fresh and new but I think it adds enough to warrant playing unless you didn't like the other versions.

I only played the event demo with the Ghost boss and a few other levels so it felt the same to me but I didn't really want it to feel differently.

I hear people say it's not a "true sequel" with anything totally fresh and new but I think it adds enough to warrant playing unless you didn't like the other versions.

It's got enough stuff added that I consider it new enough to be a sequel. I think Mutant Mudds Deluxe has like 80 levels, and this has 45 unless they add more, but that includes the boss fights.

I've just played 7 levels so far, though. I haven't tried the bosses yet. On Twitter I think it got overall good impressions, so I decided to get it.

I also liked Xeodrifter, another Renegade Kid game. Mudds was my favorite eShop game back when it came out.

eojoko

I like Mutant Mudds, but I'm still working my way through the first game. I've seen credits and am doing the Granny levels now. Also haven't beaten all the ghost levels. There's a ton of content in the first game.

It's got enough stuff added that I consider it new enough to be a sequel. I think Mutant Mudds Deluxe has like 80 levels, and this has 45 unless they add more, but that includes the boss fights.

I've just played 7 levels so far, though. I haven't tried the bosses yet. On Twitter I think it got overall good impressions, so I decided to get it.

I also liked Xeodrifter, another Renegade Kid game. Mudds was my favorite eShop game back when it came out.

I'm iffy on Xeodrifter but it's alright.

I really like Mutant Mudds though.

I'm a total sucker for new playable characters though even if they behave the same.

How have you found the difficulty compared to the first one???

I heard that it's easily harder right away(saw that in the demo) but that it's toughest levels later aren't as tough as the later levels in the first one.

I like Mutant Mudds, but I'm still working my way through the first game. I've seen credits and am doing the Granny levels now. Also haven't beaten all the ghost levels. There's a ton of content in the first game.

I just replayed it and beat it 100% last week on my 3DS XL. I hadn't played the Ghost levels or played it with Checkpoints... And I used to play it a lot. I didn't really like playing as Granny so I played it with one of the secret characters. Using all 3 powers on the Ghost levels definitely helps make it easier, even though you can't destroy the ghosts.

I'm iffy on Xeodrifter but it's alright.

I really like Mutant Mudds though.

I'm a total sucker for new playable characters though even if they behave the same.

How have you found the difficulty compared to the first one???

I heard that it's easily harder right away(saw that in the demo) but that it's toughest levels later aren't as tough as the later levels in the first one.

Yeah, I think it's really cool that a lot of secret characters are in the game.

It's a bit harder right away, but I started with level 3 of each world...just to play the ghost levels. I heard that the Bosses were pretty hard. But I heard the same thing and saw people posting that they beat the game, so it's certainly beat-able.

Also, I hate the big Mudds that drop bombs which explode in 4 directions. Those are the worst!

The 100 coins you pick up are a lot better hidden. I just beat 2-1 (the Ice world) and only got 87 coins.

I beat Secret 2-1 and didn't see any signs of the secret character. I beat it with 91 coins.

Edit: I'm playing Secret 4-1 and it is absolutely brutal in difficulty. It requires very precise timing for avoiding those cloud blower guys and has a ton of bomb droppers too. I got to the checkpoint...but it is very hard. I have the jump power but extended hover would be very helpful for this.

OK. So I beat the game 100%.

Someone asked if it doesn't get as hard as the hardest levels in the original Mudds, but that is completely false. This game is super hard, and even it's easiest levels are likely almost as hard as the harder ones in the original. However it is extremely well designed and very fair and consistent.

The music is great and you can listen to collectible CDs in the music room. It's nice.

It took me about 15 hours and 500 deaths to beat the game.

It is more than just an "expansion pack," but it's definitely not a full-fledged sequel or else I think it would have some more changes. There are some new things to gameplay, namely: destroyable blocks, hidden walls you can walk through to collect hidden gems, and the boss fights. A few of them were frustrating and I wondered if they didn't get tested enough, but they weren't bad or anything. My favorite was
the Mudd Mage from World 2.

It also doesn't have as much replay value as I would like. I just can't see myself playing through it again very soon, and I like to replay platformers.
I was hoping they let you play with all 3 power-ups as in the original Mutant Mudds, but I don't think they repeated that for Super Challenge.

trixx

Sounds great. Is the discount and cross-buy promotion only for a certain time period? I'll probably pick it up soon, enjoyed the first game a lot.

Ridley327

Sounds great. Is the discount and cross-buy promotion only for a certain time period? I'll probably pick it up soon, enjoyed the first game a lot.

Cross-buy should be an all-time thing, but I'm not sure about the discount. How long did they last on the previous released Nindies that were a part of the preview program?

Anyway, this game was pretty cool. Definitely a real challenge even with checkpoints on, though I'm pretty sure they never bothered to test the first world's boss because holy shit, that's the frontrunner for the worst boss of 2016 by leaps and bounds.

Top Bottom