• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
battlebornsysreqspfbmi.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Field of view: 80 -> 100 in increments of 1
Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High
Vsync: Off/On
Framerate: Smoothed 22-62fps; Capped 30fps; Capped 50fps; Capped 60fps; Capped 72fps; Capped 120fps; Unlimited
Anisotropic filtering: Off; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Bullet decals: Off; Normal; High
Foliage distance: Near/Far

Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra High
Ambient occlusion: Off/On
Depth of field: Off/On
FXAA: Off/On
Dynamic shadows: Off/On
Motion blur: Off/On
View distance: Low; Medium; High; Ultra high
PhysX effects: Low; Medium; High

Does it support 4k? Because Gearbox said that and arbitrary res wouldn't be supported at launch, but I recall TB saying it went up to 4k for him.

JaseC

Does it support 4k? Because Gearbox said that and arbitrary res wouldn't be supported at launch, but I recall TB saying it went up to 4k for him.

Arbitrary res support is in. I enabled all DSR scaling options and all resulting resolutions, including 4k, are selectable.

JaseC

Not sure why they said those wouldn't be in for launch then.

It was probably a mix up of some sort. That or Gearbox had intended to only support resolutions it'd tested. The game actually being able to render at any given resolution wouldn't have been an issue as it clearly uses the Borderlands engine as its foundation (hardware-accelerated PhysX alone more or less gives that away due to how rare it is these days).

I'm guessing from the amount of posts in this thread that there aren't a lot of bites for the Beta on PC.

Didn't the beta open like, just a few hours ago? Might still be too early.

I tried it, going in blind - I've avoided almost all media and info on it. It's... really meh so far. The cornball Borderlands 2 humour isn't unexpected, but feels very forced. Kinda shocked how basic the whole experience feels too, but it's a beta so I'm not making any final judgements. Runs okayish on my 750 Ti on medium everything at 1080p, but it also feels like they're kinda just throwing UE at the wall and not caring much what it does. Can't say the art style is doing anything for me either, and I usually love attempts at this style. It's all just very ho-hum.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
i5 2500k OC'd to 4GHz
16GB RAM
970 GTX
Win 10

Runs very nicely for me maxed, seems to be at least 60fps. I turned off depth of field/motion blur as I don't like those at all. Don't have any specific framerates as I've not measured yet but set it to Unlimited under the framerate setting and feels great but I'll check properly later after work.

Runs like poo for me and doesn't look pretty enough for the performance I'm getting.

i5 3570k
GTX 970
8GB RAM

Playing on a 165Hz Acer G-SYNC monitor, framerate unlimited, max FoV, and v-sync off of course.

looks like an xbox 360 game. framerates at 1440p on oc 980ti are 120 to my monitor cap of 144. this is with physx turned to lowest. didnt test it but i wouldnt be surprised if it cut performance in half or worse. particle physx usually look bad anyway

If it's anything like the Borderlands games, PhysX is going to destroy performance entirely. Turning that down let me get a reasonably consistent 60+ framerate on my i5-2500k GTX 970 setup at 1080p. Loading seems to really kill performance, like in the beginning of each match, but that's brief.

I would like it to run better, but it's definitely playable as is and there's a density of action going on that makes a lot of the last-gen comparisons more than a little silly.

MrPanic

I need to put it on 640x480 and minimal settings for my laptop to even play it on a decent framerate, and even then it manages to dip under 30fps regularly. This game barely looks better then the Borderlands games and it still manages to run exponentially worse, as I can run those games at 720p at higher framerates at medium settings. Still hoping for some secret .ini tricks that suddenly makes this game run way better.

Unicorn

looks like an xbox 360 game. framerates at 1440p on oc 980ti are 120 to my monitor cap of 144. this is with physx turned to lowest. didnt test it but i wouldnt be surprised if it cut performance in half or worse. particle physx usually look bad anyway
Calm down lol.

Not at all interested in this game but I wanted to chime in that an option for 72 FPS cap in game is wonderful and I wish more devs offered that.

Vistrix

Anyone know of a way to disable PhyxX completely?

Running a 970, 4690K and I always had issues with Borderlands PhysX effects...

The game runs at a constant high FPS but gets really jittery when there is too much happening on screen.

Klyka

Banned
Tried all kinds of stuff, still can't get the game to go past the videos at the start.

First game that has ever been unplayable for me in the last 10 years

Pjsprojects

Tried it for half an hour last night. Never again!

As mentioned above even on max settings at 1080p,it looks like a 360 game. I'm getting very high frame rate but the game still stutters.

FX8350black @ 4.4
R9-290x
16gb ram
Win 10
Latest drivers
Game on SSD
Win 10 on another SSD

I have a R9 270 and an i5 3750K and I put almost everything on high when I played it. (I think the only thing I didn't turn on was Ambient Occlusion) the game isn't exactly the most demanding thing. This was at 1080p mind you.

Dec

game crash after signin in?

Would try disabling any unnecessary overlays, installing the redist the game prompted on launch if you did not, you can find it in steamapps\common\Battleborn Open Beta\Binaries\Redist.

In my experience this may be because the game is 64bit and you are missing a library that UI3 64 bit requires.

Would try disabling any unnecessary overlays, installing the redist the game prompted on launch if you did not, you can find it in steamapps\common\Battleborn Open Beta\Binaries\Redist.

In my experience this may be because the game is 64bit and you are missing a library that UI3 64 bit requires.

veryfing the integrity of game cache solved it

dunno wat went wrong

GavinUK86

• i7 2600k
  • 8GB RAM
  • GTX 970
Runs at a pretty solid 1080/60 on Max settings for me. I don't think I ever noticed the framerate drop below 55.

The game's alright. Feels like a Borderlands MOBA. Not sure if that's what they're going for? If it is then I'd say they succeeded.

Played one match solo, took just over an hour. I didn't expect the matches to be so long but it kept going and going and going. Felt a little bit too long for my tastes.

Baffled to why some people think it's an ugly game. It looks like Borderlands with the cel-shaded filter removed. It's pretty enough.

1080p maxed out screenshot. You can see the sorta performance I'm getting.

GavinUK86

How do you get riva tuner to overlay like that in games?

That's pretty normal, is it not? I usually run the game, then check what the exe is called then add to the list. Change the colour size and done. I like to have the clock on it because I don't have one nearby.

GavinUK86

I've not really messed with Riva tuner yet so it's just a case of adding the exe.

Thanks.

You don't always have to add the exe but I've found that when the UI doesn't work with a game, adding it manually usually gets it working so I've got into the habit of adding every game I play now.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Was about to buy this since a key can be had for around $34, but apparently Gearbox PC developers are still too incompetent to even think about developing a PC game with splitscreen support. They have their paid lackeys making excuses blaming Steam accounts for the reason it isn't included even for local co-op/guest play on the prowl on various forums though, so all is well with their spin machine.

Zafir

I'm getting utter shit performance at 1440p regardless of what settings I turn down.

By shit I mean I was getting like 24-30fps on one of the MP maps which is frankly unplayable.

970GTX
i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz
8gb RAM

Edit: Oh and that's with Physx on the lowest setting.
Edit 2: Seems like I've managed to get it back up to 60FPS for now. I'm not entirely sure what's changed.

Top Bottom