• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you get a PS3 just to play the PS+ games?

LordOfChaos

Because I sort of accidentally just did.

I know the games haven't been great recently but if digital sales are really low I could go for them too.

Sort of accidentally part: A week or two ago I placed a bid on a PS3 Super Slim 250GB (console only) for 35 CAD plus $10 shipping for shits and giggles, I was 90% sure I would lose the bid since there was so much time left and the price was almost nothing.

Here's the thing: Its optical drive is broken, and I wouldn't be inclined to spend money on fixing it, but reportedly it plays digital games from the hard drive just fine. Thought it would be a cheap way to squeeze some extra value out of PS+.

Sat out the whole PS3s active life by the way, got a 360 late in its life too and now have a PS4, was on PC before either.

I have a PS3 but can't be bothered to hook it up again for the Plus games. Don't have time for them anyway. Can't even keep up with all the great games for PS4 plus

LordOfChaos

I have a PS3 but can't be bothered to hook it up again for the Plus games. Don't have time for them anyway. Can't even keep up with all the great games for PS4 plus

That's true, I didn't really need to be adding to my backlog. I guess I could just keep downloading stuff to it for a while anyways to always have something to play. I'll have PS+ for the foreseeable life of the PS4, so may as well get whatever the PS3 gets.

For that price? Yes.
I have a backlog of AAA PS3 Plus games too but I need to find a bargain and sell the console after I'm done. PS3 Plus full fledged games are impressive.
No. Most of the best games have remasters anyway.
And for the price of one of those remasters, he can get a whole bunch of them.

For the price you paid sure depending on how many games you've already gotten on Plus.

I too only got a PS3 after the PS4 came out, still need a 360.

poodaddy

For that price? Yes.
I have a backlog of AAA PS3 Plus games too but I need to find a bargain and sell the console after I'm done. PS3 Plus full fledged games are impressive.

I second this. The PS3 had an incredible catalogue and that price is incredible. I say ya made out pretty good OP.

I mean, I have a PS3 already but there are sooooo many PS+ games that I should get around before retiring the console. Persona 4 Ultimax, Catherine, Yakuza 4 just to name a few.

5taquitos

I can't go back to a DualShock 3, and rumble (and wireless?) doesn't work if you use a DualShock 4, so I don't play my unfinished PS3 library. RIP Yakuza 5.

VariantX

Kind of want to actually. Looking at the list of games I've gotten on PS3, theres a few I do want to play like dragons crown and persona ultimax.

It's not a bad way to get more out of PS+, but you're really missing out if you haven't been just "buying" the PS3 games just in case. If you have been, you'll have a big library of great games to play on it. I keep a PS3 hooked up in my wife and I's bedroom and use it quite a bit.

AndrewPL

I wanted to play demon souls so did a similar thing a year ago. broken blu ray drive but had a 500gig hard drive. The 3 controllers would have cost more than I paid for it.

There are a bunch of games I've bought for it as well as what I got from PS+ so it was well worth it. It does annoy me that there are games like 3d dot heroes that are available only on disk.
They did just put MSG4 on PSN so I did buy that on sale.

I am also looking forward to playing the yakuza games at some point.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Yes and no certain games, i just got one again so i can d/l my movies & series offa PSN so i don't have to stream them to my PS4 😊

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I did and after a month never really touched it again. It now exists solely to play Buzz Quiz TV.

*note* I previously had a PS3 but sold it when I got a PS4 because four consoles was enough for my entertainment center. The new PS3 is off in the corner, hidden, on the floor.

Meffer

I have one to play games I wanted on it like Okami, Skyrim and right now Trails of Cold Steel. Free games are a plus.

Sora_N

If you've been hoarding them yes. There's a lot of retail games that went plus.

You can also buy digital copies of games that go on sale.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PS3 PS+ titles are garbage now. If you've been a member for years and have been redeeming them, of course it's a good idea. If you're just starting out now, heck no.

Fisty

If you never had a PS3, chances are you didnt have Plus from 2012-2013, when the PS3 freebies were absolutely nuts. Still,thats a great deal and you can find tons of great exclusives thatll probably never get remasters on PSN.

EDIT: Jesus look at this list just from 2013, this is like 1/3 of the games

Darksiders, Vanquish, Spec Ops, Demon Souls, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex, UC3, XCOM, Battlefield 3, JSR, Ico, SotC, Hotline Miami, Dragons Dogma, Binary Domain, Borderlands 2

Bookman

Hey, I just did this. I few weeks ago I bought a ps3 mainly to play ni no kuni.

Since Then I just played a ton of ps+ games (never got around to ni no kuni )

MisterR

Yep, plus there are constantly amazing deals on games to download. You can consistently get great games for 5-10 bucks in PS+ sales.

OhItsJustDaniel

Neo Member
Many of the older Playstation exclusives are downloadable and often go on sale. I remember regularly seeing the God of War games, Demon's Souls, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, the Jak & Daxter and Resistance games in sales for around 5-10$.

These are great games and still very enjoyable.

AerialAir

Banned
If I'd bought a cheap PS3 when plus launched, yeah, sure. At this point, no, I'd have already missed too much stuff, plus, I don't know until when will they keep supporting plus on the PS3.

Bauer91

I just did actually, two weeks ago. Well not just for the PS+ games, but mostly for them.

I've been adding PS+ games for years though, from back when they were still giving out great PS3 games. Wouldn't say it's worth it now if you missed out.

LordOfChaos

So are you a PS Plus subscriber already and did you add past PS3 offerings to your library?

I just did actually, two weeks ago. Well not just for the PS+ games, but mostly for them.

I've been adding PS+ games for years though, from back when they were still giving out great PS3 games. Wouldn't say it's worth it now if you missed out.

I only got the PS4 some months ago and was never on Playstation before then, so no unfortunately, I have very few PS3 games queued up from PS+ and whatever they give out in the future life of my PS4 until they stop giving PS3 ones.

Klart

It's not a bad way to get more out of PS+, but you're really missing out if you haven't been just "buying" the PS3 games just in case. If you have been, you'll have a big library of great games to play on it. I keep a PS3 hooked up in my wife and I's bedroom and use it quite a bit.

This. I hope you've been "buying" the PS3 games during all of your Plus membership.

I still have my PS3 and 360 (I have a PS4/X1) hooked up. I'll pop over to the PS3 every now and then and get the latest PSN+ game, play it for about 5 minutes then delete it the following month when the new patch comes out.

Bauer91

I only got the PS4 some months ago and was never on Playstation before then, so no unfortunately, I have very few PS3 games queued up from PS+ and whatever they give out in the future life of my PS4 until they stop giving PS3 ones.

Well for the price of less then one PS4 game I'd say you could still get some nice use out of it but unfortunately they seemed to have completely stopped giving out big budget (and less then a year old) PS3 games.

Top Bottom